Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 f250 7.3 deisel won't shift from 2nd to 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 PM
manram
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 f250 7.3 deisel won't shift from 2nd to 3rd

I recently changed the oil pan which was quite a job. Dropped the tranny and pulled the engine. Once it was put back together, the tranny shifted into 3rd once and now won't shift into 3rd anymore. 1st to 2nd, reverse all good. What's up with that? please advise.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Make sure all you electrical connections are good, then take it to a trans shop.

Auto trans are NOT for laymen to toy with

Old 02-05-2015, 11:26 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
did you zip tie a baggie on the solenoid pack connector when you removed the trans? maybe you got the connector dirty? if she was all working fine before you dropped the trans,then keep looking around.it's got to be something simple.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:10 PM
manram
New User
I'll check the connector. Could there be anything other than the selinoid pack/plug that could keep it from going from 2nd to 3rd? transfer case sensor? Vacuum line? We did change out the MLP (neutral switch) but that seems to be working. Will only start in park and neutral. That's all that matters-right?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:13 PM
Skweres88
New User
When you try to get up to third does your speedometer get a little wonky? I had a similar problem. Check your speed sensor on the rear differential, if it is off by a fraction of a hair it will not register correctly and your tranny will be stuck in limp mode which is just 1st and 2nd gear. And by fraction I mean fraction, mine went bad last winter. I was in a hurry so I just switched it out as quickly as I could, but still had a problem with the tranny. There was a little bit of rust on the differential that pushed it out of place, after wire brushing it off it worked great..

Last edited by Skweres88; 02-05-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: sensor is on the differential not the tranny: brainfart
Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by manram
Could there be anything other than the selinoid pack/plug that could keep it from going from 2nd to 3rd?
Yes, but then it wouldn't have reverse, either.

transfer case sensor?
That has no influence on shifting, so no, that can't cause this.

Vacuum line?
There are no vacuum lines to the transmission, so this isn't it either.

We did change out the MLP (neutral switch) but that seems to be working. Will only start in park and neutral. That's all that matters-right?
It does a lot more than that. But if it shifts 1-2 then there is nothing wrong here, either.

My SWAG* is that a wire to the shift solenoids was damaged in the R&R process. Does the OD OFF light work when you press the button? Is the light flashing? If so, there are codes stored that will lead you to the problem.

*SWAG - Silly Wild A Guess

Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 PM
manram
New User
Can you please tell me where that is and how to adjust it?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:24 PM
manram
New User
Mark,
The OD light works but is not blinking and when I turn it on and off I don't feel a difference. Any electrical way to check the plug without having to drop the tranny? It's a really tight fit up there...

Old 02-05-2015, 01:43 PM
manram
New User
Originally Posted by Skweres88
When you try to get up to third does your speedometer get a little wonky? I had a similar problem. Check your speed sensor on the rear differential, if it is off by a fraction of a hair it will not register correctly and your tranny will be stuck in limp mode which is just 1st and 2nd gear. And by fraction I mean fraction, mine went bad last winter. I was in a hurry so I just switched it out as quickly as I could, but still had a problem with the tranny. There was a little bit of rust on the differential that pushed it out of place, after wire brushing it off it worked great..

So how would you adjust this or do anything to it?

Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
don't drop your trans! the connector is right there behind the heat shield brother.its not that tight.

it's funny the od light isn't flashing.perhaps because you haven't driven it long enough for the control unit to tell ya,you've got an issue.you'd think it would pick right up on that one though.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:58 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
So how would you adjust this or do anything to it?
don't mess with the VSS.why suspect something that didn't get altered during your trans removal? stay focused on the fact that everything was fine prior to dropping the trans and you'll discover your issue.
you had a working speedo on your test drive right? if so,never mind this.im not saying the vss couldn't have failed at the exact same time of a trans removal and install......but just how likely is that?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:07 PM
manram
New User
Thanks for all the great help guys. I guess the only two things that could cause this problem is the selinoid or VSS. I'll check the one I messed with first and report back what I find.
btw- could putting a dialectic gel in the connectors create a problem?

Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Skweres88
New User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you had a working speedo on your test drive right?

He is right, what you describe could be a possibility, but that's why I asked what your speedo was doing. If it was a wonky then it could be an issue. Mine's gone out twice, but we have A LOT of road salt up here. If your speedometer is getting jiggy, then you have to replace it. It's pretty cheap though.

Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Thanks for all the great help guys. I guess the only two things that could cause this problem is the selinoid or VSS. I'll check the one I messed with first and report back what I find.
btw- could putting a dialectic gel in the connectors create a problem?
OK, you totally lost me here. How could it be the VSS? It shifts 1-2, then the VSS decides not to play any longer? That's impossible. You're going off on a tangent.

And who told you it was a solenoid? I find it unlikely that a shift solenoid decides to fail when you pull the trans. It could possibly be a solenoid, but it isn't one of the more likely causes. You need to check the wiring to the solenoids. It is easy to damage the wiring when you R&R the transmission.

Putting WAY too much dielectric gel in might cause a problem. I've never put so much in that it caused a problem, but maybe it could keep the pins from making contact if there was a lot more than there should be.

Originally Posted by Skweres88
When you try to get up to third does your speedometer get a little wonky? I had a similar problem. Check your speed sensor on the rear differential, if it is off by a fraction of a hair it will not register correctly and your tranny will be stuck in limp mode which is just 1st and 2nd gear.
No, that's not accurate. Everyone talks about limp mode, but it isn't one mode. When there is a problem the PCM will not command a gear that it has determined to have a problem. A bad reading from the VSS will NOT automatically make it operate in only first and second.