Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Identify this drip

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:34 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Identify this drip

Hey all, I have had this leak just inside my right front tire for some time and I just figured it was condensation from the AC.

The other day I noticed it's leaving a stain on the driveway and I haven't run the AC in months - hmm..

Today after arriving at work I noticed there's a stain there as well. I stuck my finger in the drip and it seems to be anti-freeze (slippery water) and not oil. I popped the hood and the reservoir shows coolant at the full mark.

Any tips on what could be the culprit?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:55 PM
phinner
Senior User
Most newer vehicles use the AC compressor to remove moisture from the inside air to help prevent the windows from fogging up. It's possible that's what you're seeing still. Try throwing some cardboard and paper under the drip to see what's actually dripping to rule out picking anything up from what's already on the ground.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Sure it's not diesel from the drain of the fuel bowl?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:05 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ Our A/C Units run on most setting ^^

You're certain its not Fuel? Right?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Possibly coolant dripping from the heater valve hose which is behind the cold side (passenger side) intercooler pipe?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:08 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same thing happen recently. It was like they said, your ac will actually run with the defroster on. Mine was condensation off of the ac lines. Drank many a beer and pulled many a hair chasing that. Hopefully that is all yours is too

Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetmw
^^ Our A/C Units run on most setting ^^

You're certain its not Fuel? Right?
The rear puddle is the condenser drain line. The forward one (inboard of the tire) is definitely not.

IIRC the A/C runs for Max A/C, A/C, Dash and Feet, Floor and Defrost, and Defrost settings (pretty much all of them except Dash Only, Floor Only and if it's less than 50F outside)

Originally Posted by F250_
Possibly coolant dripping from the heater valve hose which is behind the cold side (passenger side) intercooler pipe?
Looks a lot like where my coolant was dripping from my failed Ranger valve that I installed in the heater line...

I would only consider a fuel leak if it was on the axle tube too. That's where mine dripped at when the fuel bowl drain valve O-rings were done for.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:14 AM
Silverlake
Senior User
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm not certain it not fuel. As I dipped my finger into it and lifted, it formed a drop like water (if you know what I mean). It was slippery though when I rubbed my fingers together so that felt like antifreeze.
My sniffer doesn't work so good though - maybe it is diesel.

I'll crawl under this weekend and report back.

I believe the larger puddle is morning dew dripping off the cab

Last edited by Silverlake; 02-05-2015 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added big puddle note
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 AM
F250_
Hotshot
It really sounds to me like a coolant leak at the heater valve or heater core going into and out of the cab. It is dripping exactly in the same place as mine when I noticed my coolant lines leaking in the extreme cold we had two weeks ago. Tightened up on my worm clamps and all is good now... except I have another minor coolant leak to chase from somewhere else that has not yet become obvious to me.

If you have a piece of cardboard, tape a piece of white paper on top of it and place it under the leak to determine color. Make it a large area and place a brick or stone on it so you can leave it overnight without it blowing away.

BTW... what color is your coolant?

Old school, is now speaking... you can touch the tip of your tongue to it and taste it very slightly to check the source... you don't have to swallow, and that small of a taste will not be hazardous regardless of it being fuel or coolant.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
You know... with the thread title... I was half-expecting to see this:

Old 02-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Silverlake
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250_
It really sounds to me like a coolant leak at the heater valve or heater core going into and out of the cab. It is dripping exactly in the same place as mine when I noticed my coolant lines leaking in the extreme cold we had two weeks ago. Tightened up on my worm clamps and all is good now... except I have another minor coolant leak to chase from somewhere else that has not yet become obvious to me.

If you have a piece of cardboard, tape a piece of white paper on top of it and place it under the leak to determine color. Make it a large area and place a brick or stone on it so you can leave it overnight without it blowing away.

BTW... what color is your coolant?

Old school, is now speaking... you can touch the tip of your tongue to it and taste it very slightly to check the source... you don't have to swallow, and that small of a taste will not be hazardous regardless of it being fuel or coolant.
Coolant color is light green - good idea on the white paper and I sure hope it's just loose clamps. I ain't scared of tastin' it though and having it dumped in my face on occasion, I will recognize it no doubt.

Tugley, your no drip (if that's what you meant)

Old 02-05-2015, 08:36 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by brian42

Looks a lot like where my coolant was dripping from my failed Ranger valve that I installed in the heater line...
See you had the same problem. Mine leaks if left on any setting besides the regular vent setting, lol

Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Fuel bowl rebuild - it's the drain line. That's where the fuel lands when you have a leak, and I'm getting pretty good at the game of "Now what the hell is on my driveway?" It's fuel.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Any word yet on the paper and/or taste test?

Old 02-06-2015, 05:38 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had that same drip after I installed a T fitting in my heater hose to flush the coolant.

Quick Reply: Identify this drip