6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Typewriter Noise or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:03 PM
jh225
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typewriter Noise or Not?

So my 2015 has a touch over 1K miles on it. It has "ticked" loudly since day 1. I generally keep my truck in my shop and hear the ticking every single time when I pull it outside. It occurs immediately after start up and happens at idle. Easily heard anywhere around the front end of the truck. This is not the normal diesel engine noise and absolutely sounds like the tick-tick-tick of an old typewriter.

So in doing some research, I came upon the TSB for put out for the 2011-2014 models, in which it CLEARLY states the typewriter noise can/will occur AFTER an oil change and eventually go away, yada, yada, yada......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSM 44120
44120 2011-2014 F-Super Duty - 6.7L Diesel - Tick/Tap Noise At Idle
Some 2011-2014 F-Super Duty 6.7L diesel equipped vehicles may exhibit a ticking noise at idle after an engine oil change. It is often referred to as Typewriter Noise because of its similarity to the sound of a mechanical typewriter. When engine temperatures reach 150 °F (65 °C) or higher, (from engine idle up to approximately 1700 RPM's), this noise can typically be heard at the front wheel well and is often isolated to the transmission bell housing or oil pan area. Typewriter Noise is not detrimental to engine function or durability and has no short or long term effects on the engine. Do not attempt repairs to eliminate this noise. This noise is characteristic of the 6.7L diesel engine and will typically cease or diminish significantly within the oil change maintenance interval.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02-AUGUST-2013

So, is the noise only supposed to be heard AFTER an oil change, and if so, why would my truck do it even though it has not had an oil change?My 2012 did not have the tick before, during or after an oil change, ever.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:15 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Mine ticks. Started at the 7k mile mark. It ticks when the oil is changed. It will quiet down and completely go away around 3500-4k miles into the oil change. When I change the oil at 5k miles. It goes to ticking again. 5w40 Valvoline synthetic made it tick loud through the entire oil change. 10w30 Motorcraft has the least noticeable tick so I run it. Gonna try the XL-17 additive stuff from Ford next oil change. I've learned to live with it. Heard a very good explanation on another forum about why it does it but can't remember all the specifics. I never have any shavings on the drain plug and oil analysis come back great so I quit caring.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
My guess based on nothing what-so-ever, maybe Ford isn't putting in the carbon additive from the factory.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:49 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
That's sort of what I was thinking. Someone else on another thread complained that his 2015 was very noisy as well. Perhaps Ford stopped adding it for some reason, and they are making the noise from the factory now instead of waiting until an oil change to show up.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:04 PM
jh225
Elder User
What is the XL-17 stuff?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:24 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...u-use-one.html

May be a few answers in the linked thread. I had trouble finding it for purchase online just now, so perhaps it has been replaced with something else.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:38 AM
markiemark
Junior User
My 2011 F250 with 157,000 never ticked. Take it in because the lower portion of the oil pan was leaking and ford said lower portion of pan had been updated to metal instead of plastic. They replace the pan and now I have the ticking. Took it back and they gave me the same TSB. Very annoying.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:24 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
The 3 'Ticks': I have found there are 3 ticks to listen for.

* hydraulic lifters

* Wheel bearnings

* pistions rocking in the block

There may be more, but these I have encountered. If someone has more then please add them.

Hard to diagnose sounds, but my wife car had a "ticking" when cold. Generally I would write it off to leaking of hydraulic lifter. So I drove it and at my age I am no stranger to leaking hydraulic lifters. But this tick was different and I need a second opinion other than mine. To the stealer it went and a call next day from them said it was just a leaking lifter, come get your car.

I did not buy it. She has a SBC engine and I know them well, a tick yes but a different tick.

3rd opinion: Dealer calls next day and says its a piston rocking in the cyl, we have a new engine on order for you. So my wife scores big and get a brand new crate motor from GM at 97,000+ miles. Thank you Batchelor Cadillac San Antonio.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 AM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
The 3 'Ticks': I have found there are 3 ticks to listen for.

* hydraulic lifters

* Wheel bearnings

* pistions rocking in the block

The "typewriter" noise in the 6.7 has nothing to do with hydraulic lifters, piston rocking, or especially wheel bearings. But thanks for playing.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by jh225
The "typewriter" noise in the 6.7 has nothing to do with hydraulic lifters, piston rocking, or especially wheel bearings. But thanks for playing.
Never said it was, rather just an FYI and adjunct to the conversation...while we are talking about ticks.

I took my almost new car into the dealer to discuss the tick in the right rear. Mech says its nothing, not good enough I say and I ratchet it the chain of command at the dealer till I am talking with the GM. I INSIST it is a right rear wheel bearing going out. Everyone drives my car and says same thing, no way, no how, nothing to see here move on along...OK

About a month later, I call dealer: Hey, sitting on side of highway, come get your broke car. The come, fix car, I pick up a week later. The mech is there, the service writer and the GM. HOW did you know it was a wheel bearing? The SOUND and its location. I sign, it was covered under warranty. I look at them and say, you had a change to fix the problem for prob less than $20 bucks plus in house labor, now you have had to replace the entire axle assembly at what kind of cost???? I left 3 folks looking at their shoes...

Old 02-10-2015, 03:26 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don, you're absolutely right and nobody here is implying that you're not correct or smart or anything and that dealer didn't do anything wrong either.

Big business is a monstrous beurocratic machine and nobody is going to authorize a repair until the part is broken. It's very frustrating but it's the world we live in. They lose too much money if they rely on individual decisions. Sadly, the typical American worker just can't be relied upon to make good decisions anymore.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:21 PM
jh225
Elder User
Again, not saying you are right, wrong, whatever about YOUR issues. But this thread was specifically made about the common to the 6.7 typewriter noise, and whether it was just after an oil change, when warmed up, cold, new, etc. Not worried about lifters, pistons, nor wheel bearings because that isn't a 6.7 problem.

But thanks for derailing the thread.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:19 PM
Rattler1
Senior User
Air in the fuel system/injectors can cause a ticking sound as well. I'm not sure how that would be caused by an oil change though.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:43 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Fwiw mine has always had some sort of tick...but every diesel I've ever owned has had it too.

When I dump my winter 5w40 and go back to spring/summer 15w40, I don't notice it at all any more.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 AM
jh225
Elder User
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
Fwiw mine has always had some sort of tick...but every diesel I've ever owned has had it too.

When I dump my winter 5w40 and go back to spring/summer 15w40, I don't notice it at all any more.
Ahh, but the problem is that this truck is brand new, using factory oil.

I actually took a video yesterday right after pulling it out of my shop. Ticking sound is loud and clear and sounds just like a lifter tick in a gas engine except at a higher pitch (like a typewriter). Drove to town and back (30 miles), listened again when I got back and only heard the normal diesel sound (maybe just a touch of the tick).

So if this is a tick that is only present when the engine is cold, that poses an even more interesting WTF is wrong with this engine. Warm weather, cold weather, doesn't matter as the tick is present at start up during any weather.

Something is definitely wrong somewhere.

Quick Reply: Typewriter Noise or Not?