1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

I believe it's time for a water pump.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 08:25 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I didn't know the parts store could get them? Good to know!

Old 02-04-2015, 08:28 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup. I asked for a pump for a ih 3800 bus with a t444e.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:36 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Your just full of information Nick!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 AM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for all the input! Unfortunately I'm impatient and would like to get my truck back on the road ASAP (or whenever I can get the snow around the truck cleared...and a warmer day) so I have a 4x4 vehicle. If it went and it was summer I'd so monkey around and drop in an IH pump.

I found a "car quest" brand pump at Advance Auto for $139? if i remember correctly. Using a 30% off coupon code (online orders only) brings it down to $95. WHICH by the way you should all write this down: "TRT30" less quotations. I've been using this coupon code for many months now when I need something from Advance Auto Parts. Pretty good deal on their marked up crap.

As far as the brand goes I thought CarQuest was it's own store? Didn't know they sold parts to Advance but the part is new, not rebuilt so I'm going to have to assume it'll be ok. (not that new parts can't go bad...)

Lastly, as for the t-stat goes, does anyone know the difference between the 205/203 IH stat and the 195? Will a hotter engine help with economy or power? or is that just an emissions thing? Just curious.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Advance bought carquest...most stores will go away ot be relabeled...decent parts stores will be a thing of the past very soon.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:48 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hmm, the few CarQuests I've been to were not really any better than AutoZtoned, et al. Certainly not like the old-school truly local parts supplier, where there's girlie calendars behind the counter and a lazy old dog lying on the floor somewhere. Of all the big-box stores, I'm glad it was Advance who bought them out. At least around here, the people at the Advance stores have their $#!+ more together than AZ or O'Reilly; they can talk about what you actually NEED rather than just punching "year make and model" into their computer. And you can't beat that ongoing TRT30 discount code; I don't think I've ever bought anything there without using that code.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:37 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Two wheel drive or four wheel drive for that radiator hose?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Old 02-05-2015, 12:46 AM
glovemeister
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Interesting haven't seen that part number used with the IH swap. Appears cheaper than the Dodge hose most use as well. Fits real good?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:21 AM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So you didn't have to grind down any bosses on the IH pump? I do believe that is where my leak is coming from as well. I want to do the IH swap. Time to start figuring out what I need for this.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:01 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Originally Posted by glovemeister
Interesting haven't seen that part number used with the IH swap. Appears cheaper than the Dodge hose most use as well. Fits real good?
I had to cut roughly 1/2" off the top aside from that it fit good. The cummins hose seemed a bit to short unless I got the wrong one. I rummaged through the parts store and found that. we
Originally Posted by HOOTs95PSD
So you didn't have to grind down any bosses on the IH pump? I do believe that is where my leak is coming from as well. I want to do the IH swap. Time to start figuring out what I need for this.
yes I did have to grind a bit. Maybe 2 minutes on a angle grinder and I was done.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 427 fordman
No real reason, just the mix n match of parts, and I like the remote filter setup. Nothing wrong with it.
The 7.3l engines were designed to run with the IHC water pump. To be accurate, it's the stuff that Ford kluged on the engine that's the mix n match. But to each their own. I've been happy with the IHC pump and integral filter mount.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:00 AM
HOOTs95PSD
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are Airtec pumps any good? Or is there another brand to look for.

The only place I can find the Fleet Guard coolant is Amazon.

I'd like to run the charged filters also, but should I get a non charged one to filter out whatever is left in the system when I drain it. Then put a charged filter on after a week or so?

Is there a thread I should be looking for with all this info? The only one I know about is a few years old and really doesn't address some things.

Do you remember what fittings you had to buy for this?

How about that hardware.. Is the original stuff hardened? I'd like to run stainless but not sure what all lengths to buy. I can get hardened SS hardware through work if I know what to get.

I won't have a reliable car to go get more stuff once I start tearing into this, so I'd like to have it all before hand. Parts stores are all about 15 miles away also.

I should know more myself on Sat. if the weather holds out as I am going to try and jack it up and crawl under it for a good visual inspection, before the next arctic blast hits us.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Here is a thread that explains the IHC water pump upgrade reasonably well. I think there are a lot of similar threads and I suggest spending some time with Google:
Navistar / IH Water Pump Upgrade - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

I got the Fleetguard coolant from the local Cummins dealer. They were originally asking about $30 per gallon for it but I was able to "negotiate" them down to about $23. If you use coolant that's already charged with SCA you don't want to use an SCA pre-charged filter right away since you can overload the system with SCA. Not sure what happens when you do that but it's not supposed to be good.

Also, the Fleetguard Compleat coolant is charged with SCA 4 and some of the slow release pre-charged filters come with SCA 2. Not the end of the world to mix 4 and 2 but it's supposed to be better to stay with 4 or at least stay with the same type.

About the fittings and hose, I just bought the steel ones suggested in the various threads and everything fit together pretty well. No corrosion or erosion problems but I only have about 10k miles on the new pump.

Here is where I bought my IHC pump:

Water Pump - International 444E

The manufacturer claims to have the OE contract with IHC but I called the manufacturer and the model they sell for aftermarket sales is not the same seal material as the OEM seal on the pump they sell to IHC. But it has been working fine on my engine.

Bob

Old 02-06-2015, 05:43 PM
granny_rocket
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I would assume the right procedure in changing the water pump would also be to flush out the block and rad?

Well being it winter and the average temps around here haven't hit over 29f, does anyone have a suggestions on how I can flush the system? I don't have a garage nor can I gain access to one. So I'm doing this out in the driveway.

I was thinking I could essentially fill the block with fresh water from multiple bottles filled inside. The only problem is that I can't really "flush" the system this way. Typically is just stick the garden hose in the rad or block and use the flow from that. The hose is frozen solid and even if I did attempt to use it there will be too much water that'll dump out and flood and freeze on the driveway.

I'm not opposed to building a contraption (insert evil grin emoticon) just out of ideas at the moment.

Thanks,
Al

Quick Reply: I believe it's time for a water pump.