GPS for RVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
GPS for RVs

Is anyone using one of the GPS's specifically designed for RVers and, if so, how do you like it? They are pricey and seems to draw generally good reviews from what I can find.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 02-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Is anyone using one of the GPS's specifically designed for RVers and, if so, how do you like it? They are pricey and seems to draw generally good reviews from what I can find.

Thanks,

Steve
There are only two things in this world that I am afraid of, horses, and towing on a narrow 2 way road, running into a bridge or overpass the camper won't clear and having no where to turn around. It has kept me up at night and it forces me to stick to the interstates when camping. That said, even if there was an affordable RV GPS unit out there, my irrational fear and the history my current GPS has for being completely wrong would keep me from buying one anyway. I have read a lot of good reviews on them, and there are models specifically for over the road truckers also that get good reviews.

Edit: I know I don't own one and I'm not trying to thread jack you. I just wanted to let you know about the models that the truckers use because of their claimed accuracy with regard to overpasses, bridges, etc.. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having had great luck with Garmins over the years....
we got the Garmin rv 760lmt with backup camera ---
whew, they've gone up in price since we got one for about $330
Amazon.com: Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin RV 760LMT with Wireless Backup Camera: GPS & Navigation

Really like it, especially the size and ease of use...
Have two 2013 ford navs updated to the latest and like the 760 better !

Old 02-03-2015, 11:38 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 437 Likes on 322 Posts
So what's special about these units that makes them "Specific" to RVs? They ahve info about dump stations and low bridges?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:52 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
I too have one and I'm a little disappointed with it. Many of the roads I have turned on (withOUT the trailer in tow but with the GPS thinking I do) have had the GPS come on and say there isn't any information about that particular road too many times! What the heck good is it if Garmin doesn't have the back road information?

A number of those times I was turning onto a road WITH the RV but it was a road on the way to a campground so it didn't really bother me.

The 760 is now in the 350-400 dollar range and I would think that by now they would have their stuff together.

OH- to answer 77-250 above, they have you enter your RV height & length so it can advise you if there are any low overpasses, etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:02 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I too have one and I'm a little disappointed with it. Many of the roads I have turned on (withOUT the trailer in tow but with the GPS thinking I do) have had the GPS come on and say there isn't any information about that particular road too many times! What the heck good is it if Garmin doesn't have the back road information?

A number of those times I was turning onto a road WITH the RV but it was a road on the way to a campground so it didn't really bother me.

The 760 is now in the 350-400 dollar range and I would think that by now they would have their stuff together.

OH- to answer 77-250 above, they have you enter your RV height & length so it can advise you if there are any low overpasses, etc.

I wonder if the Rand McNally version does any better. The ratings look about even on the Internet.

We had to make a turn to get to a state park a few weeks ago onto a very narrow two lane with traffic right up to the stop sign coming out against us so the only way to make the turn was to run up over the curb which was completely broken away from, I am sure countless others doing the same thing. It would be nice not to run into those kind of situation and I was hoping for better routing than the Garmin I have.

Steve

Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
I wonder if the Rand McNally version does any better. The ratings look about even on the Internet.

We had to make a turn to get to a state park a few weeks ago onto a very narrow two lane with traffic right up to the stop sign coming out against us so the only way to make the turn was to run up over the curb which was completely broken away from, I am sure countless others doing the same thing. It would be nice not to run into those kind of situation and I was hoping for better routing than the Garmin I have.

Steve
Some friends with a large Fiver like ours have the Rand McNally version and they love it...

I wonder if this App for the iPad / iPhone would be as good?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:25 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
From the little I have read, the Apps do not seem to be rated as well. I am just going to sit on this a while.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:51 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Steve,
No GPS I have ever heard of could keep you out of the situation you spoke of...
I personally don't like anything sticking up on the dash. If you read reviews, it seems there is no 'perfect' unit
I do know that the pricey upgrades for the Ford nav isn't worth it, but I use it a lot on business trips and it does pretty much what I need. My wife's '11 MKX is better, but I don't get to use it much.
Joe

Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Hi Burleson neighbor - probably 7 miles from you and store the rv down At Ken's RV Storage just south of you on I-35...

re the Ford Nav,
after their latest (free) software update, it works better, but certainly not perfect..
I actually found 4 SD cards of the latest map updates for Ford's nav for about $200 and put two of them in our 13 truck and explorer sport...
(sold the other two on our rv forum and have 2 A4 sd cards left)
It did have noticeable updates for the DFW area.

True, NO gps is perfect as no map is, nor anything else but they are getting better and certainly better than nothing - The routing usually errs on the side of caution when it routes you around a road you know your RV can go through...

Best thing about this 760 is that I can SEE the detail on the big 7" display and can place it where it is not in the way, but still closer to my line of sight than the ford nav.
My bro-in-law has the Rand and he's not happy with it... but it too is better than nothing!

I do have a real issue with the Garmin though....
it says
the 'wrong' way

Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought a new Garmin 2597 which is not RV specific as an older GPS was starting to have hiccups. I went with a non RV version as I just couldn't see many advantages for our use while pulling the 5er. It still uses the exact same satellites as the RV version but just has the lesser RV specific information and POI's and at a couple hundred bucks less. It still will send you places no one in their right mind would travel as either the quickest or less mileage such as back roads that dead end or winding country dirt paths(New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia along with our home state) or excursions in Vermont over hill and dale that aren't on any tourist guide.

From our use of GPS units for the past 10-12 years plus hauling a tall 5er, a good middle of the line GPS and using common sense work best.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:54 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Steve

I have a Rand McNally. I don't have it in front of me but will post later.

Pricey but with lifetime maps.

You can enter your trailer data so it knows what to avoid. You can also tell to avoid tolls, and stay on main roads.

You can also with a click specify car vs RV so you can hit those small city streets if desired.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:37 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Here is what I have a RVND 7720

Only real con is short battery life.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is another option if you have a smart phone, tablet or laptop with GPS capability. It is CoPilot Premium. The cost is good at $9.99 (for Android) and has an RV mode. I haven't tried it yet, but it gets very good reviews. For that I am going to download it to the tablet and try it for our next trip.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:45 AM
jsm180
Fleet Mechanic
Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts
I thought about the Rv specific gps but went with a Garmin 2555 and loaded my own custom POI's. Low Clearance GPS Data has the bridges.
POI Files for United States & Elsewhere | POI Factory has just about everything else you can imagine.
The key is to find a gps with plenty of internal memory or you have to add a card. The 2555 has 8gb internal.

Quick Reply: GPS for RVs