Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

93 7.3 no fuel from injector pump.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 05:23 PM
ALL-SEASON'S
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 7.3 no fuel from injector pump.

im currently going through this same exact same thing....below is where i am..

1993 ford f450 7.3 idi..
ran fine until this..

im on 2nd injector pump still no fuel..both used
new lift pump also installed..
new fuel filter..

to eliminate air intrusion i put a new hose off the input side of lift pump into 5 gallon barrel of fresh diesel..
so now i have solid fuel up to the filter and out to injection pump..
fuel coming out 90 degree return elbow and "NO FUEL" coming out injector line's..
yes fss is working..

i believe the injection pump is bad..
i have also looked at both input screen
and return screen both clean still nothing..

result i ordered a new rebuilt from o'reilly's and will up date with further result's..

hope this will help with some question's..

Old 02-03-2015, 05:47 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
it takes like a good solid 15-20 second crank period followed by a 2 minute starter cooler down rest,followed by another up to 15-20 seconds in order to prime an empty IP.
that's with a tip top shape starting system and electric fuel pump with fuel already up to the filter.
how long have you cranked? you do know you'll only get fuel from hard lines only while cranking? you hear a distinctive click when applying/removing power to the FSS? when did the truck last run? what made you decide to change ip's? how did you or a po change the ip? did you buy the truck running,or non running? tell us the story on the truck.maybe you or a po pulled the timing gear cover to change an ip?

WTG pats!
(iv been waiting a decade to say this,this time of year.)

Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 PM
ALL-SEASON'S
New User
its running and i believe the timing is correct but now i have really loud chatter not normal diesel chatter times it by 10..but it starts easy holds solid idle has alittle smoke at idle and when reving what should i look for..i went off of the timing mark on crank o-o lined and when it was 0-0 the y mark was strait down as it should be..im confused badly

Old 02-04-2015, 12:50 PM
ALL-SEASON'S
New User
FORDF250HDXLT

it was running and driven everyday until this happened..
injection pump was last resort i replaced everything up to it but only after i was certain i wasnt getting any fuel..when it went down it would rev and die..then nothing but crank..it would run off of spray but that was it it wouldnt pick up at all i even cracked a line open still nothing pressed my finger over line opening no pressure at all while running on spray..had solid stream to injection pump with good pressure fss was working..after much much reading i found that there should be some pressure at out put line to injector's and on new one i put on there was air pressure then eventually came fuel pressure and it picked up and has ran since..its running right now just incase theres air in the system but still a loud chatter like somethings clanking in the top end but it never did this before pump change..

this is what i went off of when i re-installed it..

http://www.blackwire.com/~bjordan/Te....3_IDI_101.pdf

Old 02-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you're timing is off. Too much clatter means the timing is advanced too far. Adjust the IP towards the driver's side to retard it. A little at a time until it sounds/feels right. Or get a meter to time it.

The timing marks on the IP are just static marks so you can get it together and running, they are not the final adjustment.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:06 PM
ALL-SEASON'S
New User
yep it was out of time..pulled everything up 2" and turned 2 teeth back and bam noise was gone when i restarted it..thank you for all the info and help..have another question though..

1997 f450 7.3 powerstroke runs and drive's but while driving it will shut off..could be 15 miles or 100 ft..it will restart but what would cause this im going to look at it tomorrow and would like to check it over good..

Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by ALL-SEASON'S
1997 f450 7.3 powerstroke runs and drive's but while driving it will shut off..could be 15 miles or 100 ft..it will restart but what would cause this im going to look at it tomorrow and would like to check it over good..
This is the wrong place to ask that question, try the 7.3 powerstroke forum, should be the next one up on the FTE main forum page. The guys that hang out in this forum mostly know the older IDI engines, completely different animal.
That being said, a random guess would be check the oil/when was the last time the oil was changed?

Originally Posted by ALL-SEASON'S
i even cracked a line open still nothing pressed my finger over line opening no pressure at all while running on spray..
I hope you don't mean that you put your finger over the end of one of the metal fuel lines that runs to the injectors.
NEVER!!!! put your finger, or any body part near an opening on the injection side of the pump. The diesel coming from those lines is at a very high pressure and will be injected directly through your skin. The medical treatment is surgical removal, and can lead to necrosis and amputation if not properly treated. If you need to test for leaks around the injector lines when the engine is running/cranking, use a clean sheet of white paper.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Uh, you do not adjust timing by lifting the housing and moving the timing gear. You loosen the IP to housing nuts and slightly move the IP and re-tighten the nuts.

From everything I've read these engine barely run 1 tooth off, don't know how yours did 2 off???

Old 02-05-2015, 07:18 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by tecgod13
This is the wrong place to ask that question, try the 7.3 powerstroke forum, should be the next one up on the FTE main forum page. The guys that hang out in this forum mostly know the older IDI engines, completely different animal.
That being said, a random guess would be check the oil/when was the last time the oil was changed?

I hope you don't mean that you put your finger over the end of one of the metal fuel lines that runs to the injectors.
NEVER!!!! put your finger, or any body part near an opening on the injection side of the pump. The diesel coming from those lines is at a very high pressure and will be injected directly through your skin. The medical treatment is surgical removal, and can lead to necrosis and amputation if not properly treated. If you need to test for leaks around the injector lines when the engine is running/cranking, use a clean sheet of white paper.
That's a great warning there; tried to rep you, but you know how that works around here.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:26 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater
That's a great warning there; tried to rep you, but you know how that works around here.
get him for ya.

WTG pats!

Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
get him for ya.

WTG pats!

We'll get 'em taken care of one way or the other, despite forum rules.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:41 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Thanks guys, just trying to keep everyone safe.

Back on track here..... ALL-SEASON'S, if you're happy with how the truck runs, both soundwise, and power/performance wise you may have lucked out on your misguided attempts at timing. Like has been mentioned, what you've done is just rough adjustments. To fine time these trucks you need to find someone with a timing meter and tweak it by rotating the pump a wee bit at a time.

These engines will run ok off a few degrees either way, but to get the best performance they need to be dialed in with a meter.

Old 02-05-2015, 02:09 PM
ALL-SEASON'S
New User
thank you and yes i pulled the whole casing instead of the pump by its self.."NEVER AGAIN" lesson learned..royal pain in the **** lol especially if you dont want to strip the whole front of the motor..yes its not chattering now and before i put it back on i lined pump mark with housing mark so pump is - ] -...but yea somewhere when i put the housing back on i got it a couple teeth out but it ran and chattered really loudly..i got the teeth lined up last night and its back to normal running and sound tip top..not much smoke just like it needs fine timed..runs rich..yea im not sure on the powerstroke either..think i may stay away from it..thanks again everyone..

Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM
f350 937.3 l
New User
Help truck won’t start new fuel tanks sending unit now

help can’t get truck started any help

Old 02-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Chevy_Eater
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by f350 937.3 l
help can’t get truck started any help
Start a new thread and provide some more data.

Quick Reply: 93 7.3 no fuel from injector pump.