6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Rate Top 5 DPF Delete Tuners Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:11 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rate Top 5 DPF Delete Tuners Please!

Who makes the best Tuners and in what order please. Looking for 50-200hp only so not really concerned with big power. More interested in reliability and overall best driving experience. Thank you

Old 02-02-2015, 08:35 AM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a question with a million answers....BUT I tried the sct tsx 8900 never really liked it.. shifted hard sometimes...then felt loose.. egt's through the roof.. so I spent the money for what I think is the best.. h&s mini maxx... customer service was great walked me through a few issues... quite a few different power set-ups... shifts perfect... egt's aren't bad as long as you drive with some sense...runs like a champ! Most guys I've known with Spartan...love the power but hate that it shifts like a drag car... I've had my mini maxx for almost 30k miles now with no issues..... BUT it's all in preventive maintenance...and how you drive the truck.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Arps 6.9
Senior User
Well I just bought my spartan and DPF a week ago and am running the 275 hp tune as it gets superb fuel economy. It does shift hard for the first couple of days, I drove my and did a couple of WOT runs and now it seems to shift just like it did before! The lower tunes are not supposed to shift as hard in the first place.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Arps 6.9
Well I just bought my spartan and DPF a week ago and am running the 275 hp tune as it gets superb fuel economy. It does shift hard for the first couple of days, I drove my and did a couple of WOT runs and now it seems to shift just like it did before! The lower tunes are not supposed to shift as hard in the first place.

Well that's great for you...lol! If I was asking for advice it would be someone that has had it longer then a week... a week won't tell you what 6 months would, me and my buddy trade out trucks once in a while I would not have a Spartan personally...as I said opinions vary.. it shouldn't shift like it did factory anyways I've never heard that... if anything most guys that do like the Spartan is because they want it to bang the gears out...in the midst of getting on it. I also wouldn't consider 250hp-300 a lower tune.... well there's one for Spartan ...one with a mini maxx... I'm sure more will chime in

Old 02-02-2015, 07:12 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a Livewire with tunes from Geared and IDP, both run good. I don't run anything higher than street from IDP and hot Street from Gearhead, I have no complaints from either but they definitely run different. I get better mileage from IDP tunes.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:24 PM
caddy
Senior User
We'll I have had my spartan for over 2 yrs. I bought it used and relicensed it to my truck. Performance is night and day change from stock. I still run stock filter. Just did the dpf delete. I don't beat my truck or stomp on the skinny pedal often. So far I have had no issues related to tuning it. I keep it at 275hp early lock.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Spartan seems to be the best, from guys I know that have tuned 6.4 trucks.
The spartan with dash-daq really gives you a good package to work with, as you can monitor the truck as well as diagnose issues.

Spartan has a +210, or +250 (can't remember) tow tune, which has lots of power, but still has safeties built in, like high EGT defuel and stuff, that is what I'd recommend over the 270+ hp race tunes.

Also the exhaust choice on these trucks can really make the truck sound quiet or loud in the cab, there has been times I wished I went with the DPF delete pipe instead of full 4" exhaust.

I would also say run stock air filter, the aftermarket ones are junk.
Unless you're building a dyno queen truck, stock air is good enough.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
100000+ on my H&S--no problems. Never any shift concerns.
Joe

Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
H&S mini Maxx for the past 50,000. Unbelievable power and shift on the fly works really well.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:46 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I prefer Spartan Diesel performance. I have had spartan tuning on my truck since the middle of 07 so 7 years and around 110,000 miles. I run a 210hp tow performance tune as my daily driver. I have had spartan tuning on 6.0 diesels as well. Spartan focuses there time on only ford power strokes unlike edge, H&S, bully dog, banks Ect who try to cover several diesel manufactures.

Stay away from edge products, or any tuners that do not tune the engine and the trans. With out a good trans tune any engine performance can damage the trans is a short amount of time.

Any tuners you look at i would be most concerned with tunes that run aggressive timing and excessive fuel to make the HP. Especially hot tunes that roll coal as many put it. They might look cool but the juice is often not worth the squeeze. Tunes like spartans tow tunes and most gear head tunes are quality balanced tunes.

Tunes that roll coal as many put out it will damage your engine at some point and i wouldn't recommend them unless u have deep pockets. On the other hand With proper supporting upgrades that clean up the smoke strengthen the engine these bigger tunes can be efficient as well.

The factory Air cleaner and air box will support enough flow for an additional 150 HP, much over that and the engine performance will be lost and the filter minder will be sucked in causing the check engine or service soon light to come on frequently. If you plan to run over 150 hp tune i would suggest a good quality cold air intake.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:52 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Thanks guys. If I only need 70-80 hp would the sct tuner be ok?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:17 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
I am really happy with my SCT, I run Gearheads tow tune in the winter (40hp) and its noticably stronger than stock! At least you have options with SCT as far as multiple companies that tune.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 AM
sawtooth
Elder User
Originally Posted by slowmans
I am really happy with my SCT, I run Gearheads tow tune in the winter (40hp) and its noticably stronger than stock! At least you have options with SCT as far as multiple companies that tune.
So you mean if I buy the sct I get to pick who provides the tunes?

Old 02-10-2015, 09:27 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Yes, as long as you can find a 9625OR. You will have to find ine used as i dont think you can get them new anymore. It will come with "canned " tunes but you will want custom tunes, I have seen a few on Ebay..

Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
500$ for an air intake that adds up to 28 hp, but that is 'up to', so maybe at all out high RPM levels.
IMHO not worth it.
And the oiled cotton filters do not filter as good as OEM.

Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing, Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

Quick Reply: Rate Top 5 DPF Delete Tuners Please!