1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1954, My first F100

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM
imwastefull
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1954, My first F100

Hey guys, I've recently picked up my first Ford f100 and I'm glad that I found this forum, TONS of helpful information on here.

She's a good old truck, runs and drives, but has some problems. Brakes are non-op, the original straight 6 has a bit of a knock to her when it's cold. There are some questionable rust repairs and patches but all-in-all I am beyond excited to get to tear into her.

My plan is to just give her a modern powerplant, suspension and brakes and drive the **** out of her! At heart I am a motorcycle enthusiast and though I'm mechanically inclined, I haven't built a car before. I hope that I can use the knowledge of this forum and you members to steer my build.

My priorities for this build are as follows, 1) Price 2) ease of installation. I'm hoping that you guys can point me in the direction of some good build threads, walk-throughs, tell me about what companies are making conversion kits for the IFS, and etc.

Thanks so much in advance and as soon as i start tearing her apart, I'll have some updates!

Here's the old girl that I did an even swap for the '54. I think i came out a bit on top

Old 02-01-2015, 11:29 AM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome that looked like a good swap. Have fun

Old 02-01-2015, 11:55 AM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Welcome! I see from your profile that you are in Ohio, So am I, I'm in Akron and when you figure out your build I'd be interested in all the original parts you don't use from your truck (steering box, front axle, engine etc)

Old 02-01-2015, 11:59 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

Nice looking truck - forget about tearing her apart - drive her for a while
& see what she needs. They don't need too modern of a drivetrain to be good cruisers.

We upgraded the brake system to dual chamber master cylinder first thing just in case we had a leak we wouldn't lose all the brakes at once. ('68 mustang master works fine).

Changing the rear end to a Ford truck 9 inch or an Explorer 8.8 are good ways to get nice cruising gears - not more than a weekend or two. We used a 2001 Explorer 8.8 with 3.73 gears & rear disc brakes - $125 at salvage.

Save that front suspension swap for a while - that requires extensive welding & can be more difficult.

Looking good over there in Ohio!

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 02-01-2015, 12:01 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If cost is a concern along with limited experience, I'd highly recommend scraping the IFS conversion idea for updating/rebuilding the OEM front suspension. Putting in an IFS is more of a "me too" decision than a significant upgrade. There is nothing inherently wrong with the beam axle design. The kingpins, tie rod ends spring eye bushings and shackle pins can be replaced, the armstrong steering replaced with power steering box and the springs softened and lowered by removing every other leaf (and front brakes converted to disks if you have to, again there is nothing wrong with the drum brakes if rebuilt) for < 1/4 - 1/2 the cost of an IFS conversion (there are a lot of hidden $$$ in and IFS swap besides just the conversion kit) , can be accomplished by the average mechanically inclined person in a weekend or two in the home shop or driveway without major equipment. An IFS conversion requires above average welding and fabricating ability, a lot of equipment, extra hands, and will take an average 4- 8 months to do.
I'd suggest carefully reading my "making a building plan" post in this topic: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...1955-f250.html
But first, before you do ANYTHING else, make sure you have all your ownership paperwork in order and get the truck titled in your name. It's getting harder and harder to get old vehicles titled without all the matching paper work in hand. You don't want to put in a lot of time and money only to later find that you can't get a title/ registration or worse have the state come and confiscate your truck and possibly even arrest you for having it!

Old 02-01-2015, 12:05 PM
Elmo4895
Senior User
I agree with Ben, fix the brakes and drive it awhile. You might find that you like it!
Elmo

Old 02-01-2015, 12:06 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to the forum. First thing i would do is order the free catalogs from the suppliers and draw up a plan of attack that suits your budget. Ax a regular here had a detailed one posted just so you go into this realistically. The better planning and watching for discounted parts the better and faster your build. Work on some of the maintenance like gas tank flushing to prevent future problems.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:11 PM
imwastefull
New User
Thanks so much guys!

Yes, a well developed plan of attack is a great idea. I'm still extremely green and I'm just beginning my research, trying to find the forums, catalogues, kits, etc that'll get my truck back on the highway.

Thanks for the suggestion on an Explorer rear end, that's exactly the information I'm looking for! $125 for upgraded brakes and gearing? Perfect!

You guys are probably right and IFS swap definitely isn't my top priority. It just seems pretty popular with these old trucks. I do own a nice welder but am not too experienced with any sort of front end conversion stuff.

BUT a modern motor is definitely a NEED. my straight 6 has a knock and ID rather put a v8 with an automatic in her. What do you guys suggest? What's a common or relatively easy swap? a 302 or 351? What years? any comprehensive walk through out there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-01-2015, 06:35 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My thoughts would be to get it safe to drive, and drive it for awhile. As you drive it , you will figure out what you like, what is right for you, and not just what the trends are. On your motor, you may get lucky and just find a worn rod bearing, or lifter who knows. I have an F-1 with stock suspension, steering, 302/ c4 combo. I like it feeling like what it is, an old truck. It's your truck so do it how you will like it. I think you got yourself a pretty nice truck, so enjoy, and welcome to the very best site for these trucks on the web. PS, if you have a bike ya need a truck, that's just how it is. Im looking forward to watching as you and your truck develop your relationship.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 760 Likes on 371 Posts
Welcome to FTE! I think you got the best of that trade.
AX has some great advice If you aren't an experience welder and fab person and you are trying to save money. The straight axle will be the best bet.
When you get to changing out the engine be sure to get with Kevin (Bigwin56f100) he is great about saving parts for folk that need them.

If you don't expect modern truck feel, Don't make too many changes. These are old trucks and part of the fun is the driving experience. As long as is safe and reliable you don't need much else.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
I think you did very well on your swap! I have a 56 all original with the strait six,I kept the original front end just rebuild it and put some lowered leaf springs from mid fifties ford, so the stance is right, it's fun to drive who cares about speed it's an old truck! I'm a Harley guy as well! Welcome to the forum!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:16 PM
96XL
Senior User
I saw this truck over on the HAMB. Looks like a good project. I agree with the majority, keeping the stock front suspension. I am more of a traditional gear head so I like the I beam axle. Maybe pull the engine and throw a ring and insert kit at it and rock the 6 for a while

Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
First thing tomorrow get on the phone with Mid Fifty Home - Mid Fifty F-100 Parts and request one of their free catalogs. There is a wealth of very useful information and hints and excellent illustrations in addition to listing nearly every part you might need for either a stock or modified 53-56 truck. It's so useful that you will want to have a copy nearby whenever planning or working on your truck. Plus the gals (it's an all female owned and operated company!) REALLY know their Effies and are eager to help and answer your questions, and their customer service is next to none! You can find in the catalog such things as what engine mounts and transmission mounts are available to help with choosing an engine swap, the parts needed to mount that explorer rear axle, how to remove spring leafs to soften and lower your ride, the parts needed to install a Toyota power steering box (works like it was actually designed for our trucks with a beam axle) etc etc etc.
Do be careful tho in seeking out parts based on price alone, there are some suppliers selling cheap poorly made chinese clone parts, especially on ebay. It's wise to check on this forum if in doubt.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:54 PM
gerrymoe
Laughing Gas
Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Ben has some pretty solid advice. Put updates and money in it as you drive it, as your thoughts on the truck change so will your build ideas. As you go the more knowledge you will have. I drove mine for five years before I put the IFS on and I can tell you it is night and day to the better. With a solid axle. power steering and a completely rebuilt front end I cruised at 50-55 with few issues, take it up to 60-65 + and you start experiencing a slight bump steer and handling issues. You have a good welder so I will take it you know welding and fabrication to some extent or you would not of invested. if you can weld than installing a IFS is just knowing how to read a tape, keeping things square and how to read the instructions that most all IFS kits come with.
Fatman Fabrications- Total Cost Involved- Art Morrisson- No-Limit are a few off the top of my head and there are alot more. Use the search engine here just IFS in and see what comes up.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:25 AM
imwastefull
New User
Hell yeah! I just signed up for the Mid Fifty catalogue and can't wait to get to know this truck. Once the winter fades out here in Ohio, I plan on putting a few miles on the '54 but with the knock this straight six has... I can't imagine she'll last too long. Also, I have 4 Harley's so I'd like this truck to be able to throw a scooter in the back if need be. I figure just a v8 with modern brakes & tires should leave her up to the task. I have a couple shovelheads that don't always want to run as far as I'd like them to!

I was talking to my girlfriends Uncle and it turns out that he had a couple '56 f100's, I guess he used a mid 70's Torino front clip and drivetrain?

Also, does anyone have a link to my truck on the HAMB? I'd like to know her history!

Quick Reply: 1954, My first F100