1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Dorman valve cover gasket / harness any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 11:55 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dorman valve cover gasket / harness any good?

I usually try to stick with OEM / Motorcraft parts for my truck but the difference in cost for OEM vs Dorman is more than triple.
$371 shipped for OEM vs $120 for Dorman. Are OEM really that much better?

OEM $185 per side

Dorman $60 per side

Yah, Yah, I know. the Dorman picture looks like the second from the left glow plug pigtail is missing. No fair using the photo as your only quality assessment.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:39 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Go with the OEM Motorcraft "99 to '02 style gaskets and harnesses. They only have one big plug in the middle instead of the two smaller plugs on each gasket, and they are somewhat of an upgrade. They cost half as much as the OEM "94.5 to '97 style and are still OEM.

And yes, OEM is that much better......Dorman are junk.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:42 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Old 02-01-2015, 08:38 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
I did a doorman on one side 15k ago.
I had a couple glow plugs go bad. When I pulled the valve covers the new doorman one had both connectors all burned up. The other side had 100k and only had one pin mildly burnt. I had some good used OE gaskets laying around and slapped them on for now. I will be doing OE super duty gaskets when I swap all my goodies in. I wouldn't waste my cash on doorman.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Bill said it but I can't stress enough how junk the Dorman are. They exemplify overseas crap sold for the lowest price. OEM is the only way to go unless you want other issues as well.

Originally Posted by killforfood
I usually try to stick with OEM / Motorcraft parts for my truck but the difference in cost for OEM vs Dorman is more than triple.
$371 shipped for OEM vs $120 for Dorman. Are OEM really that much better?

OEM $185 per side

Dorman $60 per side

Yah, Yah, I know. the Dorman picture looks like the second from the left glow plug pigtail is missing. No fair using the photo as your only quality assessment.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:34 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have heard the new style dorman gaskets are good. The current style do not have plugs on the inside like the one you pictured, the wires are directly hooked to the pins in the outside plugs.

Honestly, by eliminating the internal connection it may be a better design than stock. Only time will tell. A couple of people have installed them but they have not been out more than a year.

Richard

EDT: note that when i say 'new style' i am talking about the new revision of the gaskets you pictured.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 AM
killforfood
Junior User
Guys, I really appreciate the super duty tip. I re-did my Riff Raff shopping basket and that little gem of a tip saves me just over $100.

I shouldn't even allow myself to get started on Chinese crap quality…

Aw heck. We bought a couple of big milling machines at work. They came bundled with Chinese chip conveyors. Both conveyors are already broke and I have to fix them. The USA Rep says the Chinese won’t provide drawings, tech support, or spare parts but will sell me new conveyors that could be here in two months! 1 month to build and 1 month to ship from China!

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!
I replied in the kindest of terms and a slight hint of opinion. I'm done with them.

I did a test call to Jorgenson conveyors parts department Mequon, WI. USA. The nice lady said she had spare parts for every conveyor that they make and could ship next day air. She then hooked me up with tech support. Tech support emailed CAD files of the conveyor I was interested in and introduced me to our local rep. The Rep offered to be in my plant Monday morning and help us with our needs. Now that’s how it’s done! God Bless America.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 11:47 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts
Its a hard pill to swallow but you really get what you pay for.
I hated to buy a cheapie tool box for my new service van..I bought one and it lasted a year and is falling apart.
Snap on got the nod this time. In 5 years I will prob still have it. It'll b worth it in the end!

Merica!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
You'll be pleasantly underwhelmed when you open the Motorcraft box and find the harness is adorned with a "Made in China" sticker taped around it.

Think I'm kidding?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 PM
rustybottoms88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good info here and thanks for the riffraff link.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:21 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
You'll be pleasantly underwhelmed when you open the Motorcraft box and find the harness is adorned with a "Made in China" sticker taped around it.

Think I'm kidding?
Yes, that does SUCK

Old 02-02-2015, 08:29 AM
91 Dually
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've had dormans on my truck for probably 3 years..believe it or not, they were reccomended by the parts guy at the dealership. Not a problem yet.. I will be inspecting them good when I pull the engine next week.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:44 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r

Think I'm kidding?
And the next set in the next box might be made in the U.S., or Canada. Makes you wonder where the SD harnesses / gaskets are made.

I've learned that it's worth the effort to find out the country of origin of the VERY item that you'll be receiving, BEFORE it's shipped. Example - Dennis Carpenter carries a number of products "licensed" by Ford as OEM "equivalent". I bought a set of their door jamb gaskets on that premise; item page had the "Made in USA" logo jpg and everything. JUST before installing them, my wife notices "Made in China" on the bag. I called DC, they didn't even know that they'd been offshored. Happily refunded my money, including the shipping, since it was mis-labeled, and they updated the item page. Found one at AutoNation Ford, called them, had the counter guy actually get the item in his hand, it said "Made in Canada". Obviously the "licensed equivalent" is NOT quite the _same_. The ones from AutoNation were clearly higher quality.

So even when you find a dealer part online, it's worth calling their counter, have them grab the actual item off the shelf, and check the country of origin. A lot of dealership parts counters, esp. those associated with truck service centers, are open odd hours; one Ford truck parts counter here in Madison is open 'til Midnight every weeknight, because their service center serves a lot of fleets.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:39 PM
killforfood
Junior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Yes, that does SUCK
Totally sucks. I think it's what the kids today call a "Buzzkill".
If Motorcraft is now sourcing from China, who do we get those parts from?
I'll have to ask Clay if he knows the country of origin.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by killforfood
Totally sucks. I think it's what the kids today call a "Buzzkill".
If Motorcraft is now sourcing from China, who do we get those parts from?
I'll have to ask Clay if he knows the country of origin.
Just because it's from China, doesn't necessarily mean it's crap... If a company chooses to pay for good QC the stuff from china can be very good.

Also, WRT Ford sourcing, what doesn't come form china generally comes from Mexico.

Simple electronic parts (most sensors) come from China or Mexico. this is an almost universal truth from any auto manufacturer.

Richard

Quick Reply: Dorman valve cover gasket / harness any good?