General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How do you do your taxes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:24 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
How do you do your taxes?

Just wondering.

Some years ago, I put all of the forms on spreadsheets, so Excel does the math. And yes, I do have to update them every year ( and I curse vehemently when they change lines around with no real reason).

I did try some tax software once, but I didn't like it. It kept asking questions, and I had no idea what it was doing on the forms until the end. Also, if I would go back a couple of steps to change an option, it would make me repeat all of the information after that -- even if it would obviously stay the same.

Also, I'm one of the few still mailing the darn things in --I believe that the IRS has my poster on the wall -- with darts in it

So how do YOU do them?

Thanks,

hj

Old 02-01-2015, 06:21 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,134 Posts
I take all my information to my tax guy (IRS certified) he does it all for me! I use a tax guy as I am self employed, have a part time job, 2 rental units 5 properties and my wife has a job, so ours is complex enough that I want a professional doing it.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:24 AM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tax prep software.

I was using turbo tax, trying h&r stuff this year.

This might be the last time I do it myself.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:41 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by helifixer
I take all my information to my tax guy (IRS certified) he does it all for me! I use a tax guy as I am self employed, have a part time job, 2 rental units 5 properties and my wife has a job, so ours is complex enough that I want a professional doing it.

same here old family friend is an IRS certified CPA.
take all the papers to her, a week later i bring a check for $100 and sign the papers. she e-files, and 3 weeks later i get money direct deposited in my bank.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:32 AM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjc transport
same here old family friend is an IRS certified CPA.
talk all the papers to her, a week later i bring a check for $100 and sign the papers. she e-files, and 3 weeks later i get money direct deposited in my bank.
That's been my preferred method for the last few years. Worth the $100 just for the stress saved.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddyII
That's been my preferred method for the last few years. Worth the $100 just for the stress saved.
i am normally her Guinea pig for the new years IRS software since i usually have all my papers ready by feb 4-5th

Old 02-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have found that invisible ink works best for me.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:31 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I have been using H&R since about 93 . I had a snafu and needed help . I have been a customer since ..... Worth the peace of mind IMHO .

Old 02-01-2015, 02:47 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CPA for the business (LLC Partnership). From there I get my Schedule K-1 and then to Turbo Tax.

I may split the business this year, plus my wife's income is now taking an additional tax % hit because of the LLC net income. Will probably start moving all to my business CPA and lay down a purposeful tax strategy that passes through both personal and business. Getting more complicated every year.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:13 PM
Ozzie H.
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
For IRS: Turbo Tax; as a client, Vanguard has provided the program at no cost to me.
For State tax: as a regular customer, the State's agency provides a program to me at no cost.
So far, they work well, and whatever is due or surplus goes in or out of the bank electronically.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:12 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
H&R Block at home software for the federal and when completed, we take the state to the city tax assessors office and they do it for free.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,098 Likes on 4,183 Posts
I went to Turbo Tax about 10 years ago after paying off the mortgage. When I had rental properties and a part time business...I had a tax preparer do them...he used to be an accountant for Ford back in the day. Unfortunately...he retired...thus Turbo Tax.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:35 AM
b1corr
New User
Turbo Tax for me. Went that was about 15 Years ago. Used to use a program called Personal Tax Edge but Turbo Tax purchased them. Have been audited several times in the past 12 years with just answers sent with no further contact. Guess they were just fishing. I have a small company with no employees and the Turbo Tax Home and Small Business works great. I have tried the Professional Prepare sites and didn't really like the way the did my taxes and went back to Turbo Tax.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:43 PM
abeagle
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are retired and still do ours with my wife and I setting down together and do paper forms. Seems like we are in the real minority any more.

My wife is excellent at record keeping which helps greatly, It is still stressful and I get mad at some change or something different every year, but it only takes about three hours for Federal and State forms - that includes my wife's old homeplace which a rental house which is a major filing problem each year.

I figure it is only a matter of time until we are told we can't use written forms anymore.

Bruce

Old 02-02-2015, 07:19 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been self-employed for 19 years, and have always done my own taxes (even for a few years before that). About 8 years ago or so, I switched from doing them by hand, on paper, to TurboTax online. I went from at least 8 hours of messing with the forms and instructions to 2 hours at the computer. A good chunk of that is going back through my work vehicle mileage logs and adding it all up (Actually, I usually just look at the total for the year, and subtract out the non-work mileage, since there are fewer of those trips). I don't worry too much about an audit, because I'm small fish. I think using paper forms now probably makes you stand out a little more to the IRS, too.

Jason (end the IRS)

Quick Reply: How do you do your taxes?