Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone vs. Air Lift ... Air Spring Kit Opinions ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:10 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Firestone vs. Air Lift ... Air Spring Kit Opinions ??

Looking at a set of rear air springs for towing my trailers. Anyone have a preference ? And why ?

Right now I'm leaning toward the Air Lift, because they have a mail in rebate going till the end of Feb. Both company's product looks high in quality.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Larry Grimes
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air lift

I bought air lift bags with on board compressor. It worked out very well .I can ajust the bags inside and actually feel the difference.the compressor fit in the compartment where the jack is.I also can inflate my tires with it.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:37 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Air Lift system, controlled from inside the cab and use a dedicated compressor under the EX. Works very well, gives me 2 inches of lift when I go from 5lbs to 90lbs.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:52 AM
copsey
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
I have the Air Lift system, controlled from inside the cab and use a dedicated compressor under the EX. Works very well, gives me 2 inches of lift when I go from 5lbs to 90lbs.

My setup is very similar but Firestone brand. I will say the mount location of the compressor isn't the best. It is located in front of the firewall and is noisy in operation.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:00 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Air Lift bags. I couldn't pass up the $50 rebate (assuming I actually get it). Pics to come as soon as it's warm enough to install em in my driveway.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM
1 Excursion camper
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Air Lift bags. I warrentied them out last year, no questions. just send in the old, and as long as they weren't punctured by something they cover them!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:18 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I also have the Air Lift...I liked that the model I purchased had the rubber 'bump stop' inside the air bag itself. I mounted the compressor under the vehicle basically at my heels.

Sure, it makes noise when running, but if you install it right, there are no 'leaks' and the only times it should kick on are when you are initially airing up or when the air temps change a lot (so if you air up on a hot afternoon, drive to the evening then re-start, the compressor may kick on for a few seconds).

I also like the wireless option for the Air Lift (Firestone may have them but I haven't done the research). It's great to know it will maintain the appropriate pressure on it's own and that I can "air up" at the same time I'm hooking up the tow chains, brake cable, umbilical, etc. It's a tiny time saver and convenience, but when it's important to get hooked up quickly and it's night and it's cold and it's raining, that tiny convenience is awesome.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:19 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic

My Air Lift kit showed up a few days ago. Now if it would warm up enough to install it.........

Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by IMASAP
My Air Lift kit showed up a few days ago.
NICE! What did you do for the air side...wired, wireless, tied into another air tank, etc?

Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
I want to put something together with an air tank, but my truck is sitting outside in the snow so I haven't tried to get under it to see what kind of space I have available. I'm looking at the Air Lift compressor kits right now since they have a $50 mail in rebate going on till the end of the month.... just haven't made a decision.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
air lift

I plumbed mine with an air tank. The problem is the type of valve system, when I lower the pressure, it empties the tank.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:04 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you have to drill with the Air Lift kit? I know some have had to with a Firestone kit that says "no drill".

Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 AM
saltfisherman
New User
i did the airlift bag system with the small black compressor that has a cab mounted gage and switch. Works great for me. The bags have the stopper in them.

I found I didn't have to even remove the tires just raise the body up to gain space needed to install bags.

The factory stoppers gave me a bit of struggle at first. I was able to break the bolt loose but then after a few turns it spun in the rubber. I used a sawzaw to cut throught the bolt.

There is one area that you do drill. It's the factory bracket, lower side and at the U Bolts. This keeps the lower bracket from moving. I had to use a hammer to just move the U Bolt a bit to get the package bolt to work. Nothing crazy just you may have to adjust a bit as you go.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:37 AM
saltfisherman
New User
Forgot to add I did a bit of double with the hose. Not only is it piped to the compressor but I also did the two values at the lic plate. If I loose the compressor I can use the values. I can just disconnect the hose between the two bags to make each rear value control it's respective bag.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Seriously thinking about these, with the $50 discount from Advance TFT30 code and $50 rebate.

Quick Reply: Firestone vs. Air Lift ... Air Spring Kit Opinions ??