Sponsored by:

Transmission Plugged

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Soccerpj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Plugged

Can the transmission itself become clogged? If so how can you tell if the the transmission itself is plugged up or if it's the cooler line. When driving it idled really high and wasn't changing gears. Felt as if it had a load and was sluggish.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:16 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never heard of a transmission getting plugged up. A transmission has dozens of passages that fluid flows through. It's extremely unlikely that ALL of them would get plugged up. Even getting just one passage plugged up is unlikely, since all the fluid passes through the filter first. Any particle big enough to plug up a passage wouldn't get past the filter. Also, if your transmission is generating particles that big, you have other problems to worry about.

It's possible the filter is plugged up. I would drop the pan and change the filter. This is good maintenance that should be done periodically even if you're not having transmission problems.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Soccerpj
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by exranger06
I've never heard of a transmission getting plugged up. A transmission has dozens of passages that fluid flows through. It's extremely unlikely that ALL of them would get plugged up. Even getting just one passage plugged up is unlikely, since all the fluid passes through the filter first. Any particle big enough to plug up a passage wouldn't get past the filter. Also, if your transmission is generating particles that big, you have other problems to worry about.

It's possible the filter is plugged up. I would drop the pan and change the filter. This is good maintenance that should be done periodically even if you're not having transmission problems.
Thanks for the explanation, I don't know much about transmissions especially this one. I decided I will be dropping the pan and redoing it and making sure the filter is in there, otherwise replace it and flush out the lines while the pan is off.