Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

x Code/ATS C with With Extra Leaf Swap

Old 02-10-2015, 10:42 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by alex--taylor
Thanks for clarifying, I'm hoping to do the "typical" B mod this Friday, with new Bilstein 5100s, and a new rear sway-bar from Helwig.

AT
That's exactly what I did.

You will love the way the truck rides and handles, especially while towing.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:09 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by A Rodder
Thanks for clarifying, in the future it should be said the B mod that Cary promotes.
In re-reading my post, I might have come off as a tad brutish. I don't know Cary, but I know he has an excellent customer service rep, and he really knows his stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him if needed.

I wish he was a vendor here and posted here too. Adding his knowledge and experience to the awesome collective we have here at FTE would be incredible.

If I ever re-do my Excursion suspension and I don't follow Tom's path, I may just call Cary and have him set me up so I don't have to go sourcing all the stuff again. I'm getting tired as I get older and one-stop shopping really appeals to me. Amazon has spoiled me like that!

Hopefully Cary isn't older, isn't tired, and will stay in business for a long time.

Stewart

Old 02-14-2015, 06:51 AM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
In re-reading my post, I might have come off as a tad brutish. I don't know Cary, but I know he has an excellent customer service rep, and he really knows his stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him if needed.

I wish he was a vendor here and posted here too. Adding his knowledge and experience to the awesome collective we have here at FTE would be incredible.

If I ever re-do my Excursion suspension and I don't follow Tom's path, I may just call Cary and have him set me up so I don't have to go sourcing all the stuff again. I'm getting tired as I get older and one-stop shopping really appeals to me. Amazon has spoiled me like that!

Hopefully Cary isn't older, isn't tired, and will stay in business for a long time.

Stewart
Hey! What am I? The forgotten step child??? Haha

Cary is a good guy. We supply him with all his Ubolts and center bolts for when he sells the swaps.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:08 AM
alex--taylor
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATS Junior

Cary is a good guy. We supply him with all his Ubolts and center bolts for when he sells the swaps.
I can vouch for that, I bought all my parts for the X code / B code swap from him, and most of them came directly from ATS Springs. The X codes are on now, just waiting to find time to do the back end.

I also bought the track arm and dual steering stabilizer w/Fox shocks from him to complete the front end. I saved the email with his prices and the instructions that he gives out for the B Code mod. If anyone wants them, just PM me.

AT

Old 02-14-2015, 07:09 AM
alex--taylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by andym
That's exactly what I did.

You will love the way the truck rides and handles, especially while towing.
Well, my timing didn't work out. My wife's car had to go into the shop, and she is out of town. I just couldn't watch the kids and work on the Ex, they don't allow kids in the Auto Craft shop. Now I'm shooting for Wednesday to do the rear end.

Alex

Old 02-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by alex--taylor
I saved the email with his prices and the instructions that he gives out for the B Code mod. If anyone wants them, just PM me.

AT
You really need to look at the knowledge base I put together in the Tech Folder sticky thread at the top of the Excursion forum page. Scroll down to the suspension section and I think you'll be blown away at all the info there, courtesy of "The Excursion Collective" including instructions on how to mod a B code.

Stewart

Old 02-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru

I'm sure I named dropped you a whole bunch in here :-P

Quick update:

Everything is still going perfectly with this! The rear springs were so awesome, it makes me wish I would have just bought my X code fronts from ATS too.

I have the rancho 9000's. Been running 6 all around on the adjustment. I recently just changed it to 4 up front and 6 in the rear and just the little bit of driving I like this setting the best for empty so far. I'm still experimenting.

2.5 ish inch lift doesn't sound like much, but I can really tell that I am up off the ground. I can tell getting into and out of it still. I am super happy with this swap. Like it has been said time and time again on the FTE forum, the Ex's should have come from the factory with the heavier springs.

Can you imagine what the EX could have with an aluminum body?

Old 02-14-2015, 07:11 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Stewart_H

Stewart

I have thick skin

When I spent hours and hours Google searching and he popped up in nearly all the findings with advise and recommendations I just made the assumption.
I bought used springs, reused my old u bolts and felt I wanted to patronize him somehow.

Yesterday I ordered up a set of Bilsteins all the way around from him.

It was a pain as I wanted to pay with a card from my business and he only takes PayPal and checks but we worked it out. He was nice and responsive in emails, but over the phone wasn't as "chatty" but that's okay with me.

For what it is worth I settled down after a 100 miles and am sitting about a 1/4" below my initially posted results.

Very happy with the ride.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 AM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by A Rodder
I have thick skin

When I spent hours and hours Google searching and he popped up in nearly all the findings with advise and recommendations I just made the assumption.
I bought used springs, reused my old u bolts and felt I wanted to patronize him somehow.

Yesterday I ordered up a set of Bilsteins all the way around from him.

It was a pain as I wanted to pay with a card from my business and he only takes PayPal and checks but we worked it out. He was nice and responsive in emails, but over the phone wasn't as "chatty" but that's okay with me.

For what it is worth I settled down after a 100 miles and am sitting about a 1/4" below my initially posted results.

Very happy with the ride.

I'll reuse my U-bolts as well BUT only till I'm dialed in. As I'm sure you already know it is HIGHLY recommended that they be changed out as well. What did you use as the spring center bolt (pin) on the B mod as it's thicker than the X & you had the overloads which make that one to long ??

Old 02-15-2015, 07:06 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 794 Likes on 557 Posts
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
I'll reuse my U-bolts as well BUT only till I'm dialed in. As I'm sure you already know it is HIGHLY recommended that they be changed out as well. What did you use as the spring center bolt (pin) on the B mod as it's thicker than the X & you had the overloads which make that one to long ??

Just go to the local hardware store and buy the correct length and diameter bolt once you have the new spring pack mocked up with big C clamps. I used Grade 8 bolts on mine but that is overkill as once the springs are all bolted in place and U bolts tight the center bolts don't have any force applied to them.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 AM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Napa Auto Parts actually sells a grade 8 spring center bolt. Its extra long and you cut it down to size after you tighten it all up.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:49 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru

I talked to my local spring shop and they said they didn't think it really is necessary to replace them, I've read otherwise though.

I will more than likely swap out the rear stock blocks to a higher one. And add a mini pack under the front if I feel. Once I do will more than likely replace the u bolts.

Has anyone seen a u bolt failure or firsthand repercussions do to reusing FACTORY u bolts?

Last, I went to the local auto parts store and got new 7/16 center bolts.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 PM
ATS Junior
SPONSOR
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It only makes sense to replace the U-bolts. The way I look at it is that you are already under there replacing everything else, what is a few more bucks going to cost to do everything right.

The problem is that U-bolts stretch over time. When you try to re-torque a used U-bolt you may not be getting the proper torque because it is stretched (Used as in has been on the vehicle for some time). We have seen people try and cut corners with old U-bolts and it sometimes results in a broken spring because there is movement where movement shouldn't be.

BUT, we have also seen people use used U-bolts and have no problems what so ever. Whether we are working on a customer's vehicle or just selling parts we always suggest getting new ones, better safe than sorry.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Whether we are working on a customer's vehicle or just selling parts we always suggest getting new ones, better safe than sorry.
Personally, the peace of mind I got with all new hardware, from ATS of course, was well worth the money spent. We sometimes do crazy stuff in the Ex.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:53 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
Seems with that philosophy (not criticizing, just observing) we should also replace shackle bolts/nuts; u-joint hardware, body mount bolts, seat belt bolts, anything that sees stress.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: x Code/ATS C with With Extra Leaf Swap