7.3 psd 99 blow by question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:51 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 psd 99 blow by question!

Hey all. Hope everyone is doing good! 99 psd 20000k 7.3

First off my truck has the ccv delete mod done.... The hose leaves the ccv and runs right under the engine....

Do the same rules apply to the ccv hose blow out - that apply to oil filler cap test?

IV noticed that every now and then when conditions are right - when I come to a stop I will see smoke come up by the fender - not a lot but noticeable.

I was looking at it tonight and it seems normal but idk.

I can feel a slight breeze from the end of the hose - if I plug the hose it doesn't try to blow out or anything.

Here is a video - this is right after getting off of the highway for 30 miles.YouTube
7.3 blow by:

Do I start making preparations to get a new engine?
or is this normal.....

Truck has plenty of power or relatively close to proper power......

One thing iv noticed is - if below 65 mph with less then 2000rpms it doesn't wanna accelerate up hill.... it has absolutely no problem keep its speed up hill - just doesn't wanna always accl! Sometimes it will but not always.
If above 2k it does a lot better.
If not trailer it does a lot better.

What does everyone think? Thanks.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:58 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
The filler cap isn't this bad.... you can't fell any breeze or such and don't try to move the cap.... Watch "Operating temp" on YouTube
Operating temp:

Old 01-30-2015, 09:04 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Next chance you get can you do the test at the oil cap by flipping it over ans see if it blows it off? I think this way is the current baseline everyone goes by. Actually, I believe, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the blow-by oil cap test should be done with the ccv plugged but not everyone does it.

I can feel a slight breeze from the end of the hose - if I plug the hose it doesn't try to blow out or anything.
If you don't feel pressure when you plugged it you should be good.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:12 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Don't know why but I've seen a few of the 99's have more blow by then the later models. At least from what I've seen on line and in person. They mitt of changed something in the later models I don't know, your cap test looks good but that dose seem like a lot of blow by off the bottom.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 PM
snknby123
Elder User
So oil cap test seems good huh?

As far as the acceleration issue, I would look into fuel pressure and monitor some of the trucks vitals while this issue is happening. A scanner or Torque app with a Bluetooth adapter will allow you to monitor Hpop pressure and duty cycle. This will help you narrow down the issue.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:47 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Don't know why but I've seen a few of the 99's have more blow by then the later models. At least from what I've seen on line and in person. They mitt of changed something in the later models I don't know, your cap test looks good but that dose seem like a lot of blow by off the bottom.
I thought it seemed like a lot as well - it freaked me out being able to fill it.... I was thinking maybe I can feel it better at the ccv hose because it's a smaller diameter escape passage then compared to the oil cap.
thanks for the info!

Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 PM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by snknby123
So oil cap test seems good huh?

As far as the acceleration issue, I would look into fuel pressure and monitor some of the trucks vitals while this issue is happening. A scanner or Torque app with a Bluetooth adapter will allow you to monitor Hpop pressure and duty cycle. This will help you narrow down the issue.
IV been looking at getting torque pro and ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool | OBD Adapter - ScanTool.net
So I'll get on that.
I do know the truck has a new hhop on it and I newer updated turbo. The truck doesn't ever use any oil - at least none in 3k so far.

My other psd had this issue as well. It only wanted to maintain speed and not accl when climbing with a load.

Something weird iv noticed - the truck has a 6 speed in it.
my e brake is missed up so I have to park it in gear...... iv notice when I am on a pretty good hill [not huge but noticeable drop to it] if I have a trailer on me [ loaded or unloaded. It will try to creep away - slowly. Doesn't always do it..... [ it's a 250 super duty] so it's a Lil heavier... doesn't always do it and never does it with just the truck and no trailer.... doesn't take of - just slowly rolls. I mean slowly! I probably have 700 or so pounds of tools and such in the bed as well. Anyone ever experienced this? Thanks.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:09 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

My truck has the same problem, to the point I really have to watch where I park it. My blow by is a little worse than yours btw. I'm planning a rebuild this spring at 400k.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:45 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by f350hammer
IV been looking at getting torque pro and ScanTool.net LLC - OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool | OBD Adapter - ScanTool.net
So I'll get on that.
I do know the truck has a new hhop on it and I newer updated turbo. The truck doesn't ever use any oil - at least none in 3k so far.

My other psd had this issue as well. It only wanted to maintain speed and not accl when climbing with a load.

Something weird iv noticed - the truck has a 6 speed in it.
my e brake is missed up so I have to park it in gear...... iv notice when I am on a pretty good hill [not huge but noticeable drop to it] if I have a trailer on me [ loaded or unloaded. It will try to creep away - slowly. Doesn't always do it..... [ it's a 250 super duty] so it's a Lil heavier... doesn't always do it and never does it with just the truck and no trailer.... doesn't take of - just slowly rolls. I mean slowly! I probably have 700 or so pounds of tools and such in the bed as well. Anyone ever experienced this? Thanks.
The parking brakes on these trucks leaves a little to be desired and I am deathly afraid that mine will leave it's spot sometime if it's not in park all the way so I'll turn it off and pull the key if I'm on a hill.

What is happening with your manual trans is that you are relying on the compression in the engine to hold your truck in place. There is and will always be some compression leak down, thus permitting your truck to creep. As it creeps it builds compression in another cylinder and slows or stops it...until it leaks down and the cycle begins all over. I would recommend you parking with tires turned against a curb if possible or use a wheel chock. You will undoubtedly have to move the truck off of the chock before you can pick it up off the ground after the truck creeps up against it.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by jetdoc
My truck has the same problem, to the point I really have to watch where I park it. My blow by is a little worse than yours btw. I'm planning a rebuild this spring at 400k.

Do you think I need to start worrying about a rebuild or what? IV got 200k I really need to make it to 3 or 4k.

What is a good ball park guess for cost to rebuild?

Thanks bud

Old 01-31-2015, 11:16 AM
f350hammer
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bonanza35

Did a video with the ccv plugged and the filler cap- If I stuck my finger in the whole I could fill the breeze but it didn't even try to blow my finger out - no pressure at all.

Here is a new video. Watch "Plugged ccv blow by 7.3" on YouTube
Plugged ccv blow by 7.3:

Old 01-31-2015, 11:46 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The blow by in the video isn't anything to worry about. On another note. you talk about the smoke coming up from the truck while idling, my personal opinion is the crank case vent mod is the most useless/unnecessary thing you can do to any truck. I put new boots on several years ago and my IC pipes are still clean with no seepage. There isn't enough oil going into the intercooler system to hurt a thing. Not to mention the smoke that comes up while sitting at a light or while talking to someone. JMHO though...

Old 01-31-2015, 06:18 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your truck (engine) is fine.

I would fix the park brake asap.

I'm with Phil on the CCV mod. I had it for a while and went back.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:07 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
That is one of the better quality Bluetooth Adaptors.

Take a few hours and do a compression test. You'll know if you have a problem and how good/bad it is.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:40 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by f350hammer
Do you think I need to start worrying about a rebuild or what? IV got 200k I really need to make it to 3 or 4k.

What is a good ball park guess for cost to rebuild?

Thanks bud
. You wont know without a compression test. I've budgeted 4.5k for the engine overhaul, and another 2k for the transmission. Still cheaper than a new truck.

Quick Reply: 7.3 psd 99 blow by question!