Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking at a "new" truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looking at a "new" truck

Hi all, I am looking into a "new to me" truck and just wanting to get some help with buying a new to me "used" 2006 F150 Xtended cab truck with 5 speed manual trans. Looks to be a 4x2 though

anyways just want to know what I should look for and what things should be looked out for and what (if any) things should tell me to "stay away" or turn this truck down. I am considering trading my 1995 F150 standard cab 4x4 for this one but before I do that I want to get some insight on this, I don't want to get rid of my first truck and wind up with something that I regret (although with Ford trucks I don't think I would regret any thing with it). anyways thanks for the help and below is the link to the truck that I found on cars.com

is this a good price for a truck thats used??

2006 Ford F150 XL, $5,000 - Cars.com

also I would like to know is there a list of interchangeable parts/cars for this year truck?

I also posted this in the other forum for the 2004 - 2008 section but figured I would post here as well to get your options too!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
You managed to land in the 1987-1997 forum - a moderator or admin should be along soon to move your thread to the proper forum. Welcome to FT all the same!

Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't know much about the newer F-150s. I do think the SuperCab back seats are bigger and nicer than the older trucks, which is a plus.

I had an '08 F-250 crew cab for a little under a year. I absolutely hated it. The 5.4L V8 was the second worst thing about it (the 6 speed manual trans had it beat). The Triton V8s simply are not truck engines. In a Mustang (or a 2WD half ton) they might be fine, but you have to wind them out more than I want to to keep an empty crew cab moving up hill.

I'd expect you'll get more positive feedback in the newer truck forum. But I would caution you not to assume you'll like it just because you like Fords. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Ford guy and I can't imagine ever buying a Ford newer than my '97. They completely lost me.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:54 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Spktyr
You managed to land in the 1987-1997 forum - a moderator or admin should be along soon to move your thread to the proper forum. Welcome to FT all the same!
Thanks, I have been here a while, but posted in both forums to see if its a good truck and if perhaps I should trade my truck for it…

Originally Posted by Nothing Special
I don't know much about the newer F-150s. I do think the SuperCab back seats are bigger and nicer than the older trucks, which is a plus.

I had an '08 F-250 crew cab for a little under a year. I absolutely hated it. The 5.4L V8 was the second worst thing about it (the 6 speed manual trans had it beat). The Triton V8s simply are not truck engines. In a Mustang (or a 2WD half ton) they might be fine, but you have to wind them out more than I want to to keep an empty crew cab moving up hill.

I'd expect you'll get more positive feedback in the newer truck forum. But I would caution you not to assume you'll like it just because you like Fords. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Ford guy and I can't imagine ever buying a Ford newer than my '97. They completely lost me.
Thanks, I do love the older trucks but my sig other is wanting me to get something a bit newer with less to worry about as far as up keep goes...

Old 01-31-2015, 09:44 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
Thanks, I do love the older trucks but my sig other is wanting me to get something a bit newer with less to worry about as far as up keep goes...
I get that (believe me!). And hopefully you'll like the newer trucks. I know a lot of people do. But after Ford bought back my '08 (lemon-law claim on the trans) I "compromised" on an '02 F-350 CC diesel. It took me a year with that truck to decide that life is really too short to be driving a truck I don't want to be driving, another year to convince my wife that I was serious about that, then three more years to give up on finding a crew cab gasser with a manual trans before I finally made a compromise I can live with in my '97. Just keep your eyes open.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:26 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
well i am also trying to figure out a way if at all possible to keep my truck and perhaps trade in my Nissan and see if i can keep my current truck and possibly get a second one to add to the stable, perhaps even looking into the Excursion as an option.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:01 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
your placing a frown after mentioning the truck is only 2wd.
yes,true 2wd trucks cost significantly less than their 4wd counterpart,but by a landslide when truck shopping,this is the #1 thing to focus on.if you need 4wd,don't even think about settling for a 2wd.it just wont be of any use to you,no matter how pretty it is.if you need 4x4 then you may need to sacrifice age,condition and or mileage to remain in your price range.at the same time,don't needlessly buy a 4x4 if you know you don't need it.no.buying one for "in case" that one time comes up doesn't count lol.thats what roadside assistance/aaa are for.don't fool yourself cus you can get newer,lower miles and or better condition (or better still,save and invest the extra money you don't need to spend) with a 2wd,plus better mpg's.
look around for a week or two for comparable trucks locally.this is one of the best ways to find solid deals.don't rush it and be careful of deals too good to be true.
don't trade in your Nissan.sell it privately.always sell privately.never finance if you can help it.if you need to,insure your credit score is up (preferably in the excellent range of course) and put as much down as possible.if you can't pay yourself monthly payments to save the $ then you might (im just being kind) not be able to afford it.

lets go pats!

Old 02-01-2015, 09:17 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaime74656

The truck you posted a link to has 160k-ish miles. It's not going to be trouble free, even if it is newer than yours.

Often times, if the vehicle type works for you, you're better off with the devil you know.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I know is I personally would never trade a 4x4 for a 2wd.

We just got a 10 F150 4x4 5.4L and so far it is a great truck. Tons of power, decent mileage (the little we have driven it), and very comfortable.
Would I have traded one of my 87-96 trucks on it probably not but I also have a strong and terrible addiction to these trucks. LOL
Trav

Old 02-01-2015, 11:47 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bob Gervais
The truck you posted a link to has 160k-ish miles. It's not going to be trouble free, even if it is newer than yours.

Often times, if the vehicle type works for you, you're better off with the devil you know.
im in full agreement and I know the service life of my rig, not this new "unknown" as I like to call it….but alas now the family is "wanting the newer truck" granted the pros of the new truck would be the manual shift, "mini" back seat (not much room but still enough for a small person or even to lay down for a nap) and that its a newer model truck and more after market items are readily available for it (like ram mounts for computers) but on the flip side I know my current truck and well I just spent time and energy to fix the 4x4 transfer case issue so I can drive it again….

so WTF am I thinking?! anyways I know Im trading the Nissan Altima good car and well built but I never really have been a fan of the 2000-2001 model Altima from the start so I may trade that In for the truck not 100% sure yet, may look at an Expedition (2000) as a trade which would have the 4x4

As for the "need" I don't really need the 4x4 drive, it just happened to come on my truck as this was a truck that I bought because I was able to afford the truck so really if I had to go with out it I would be ok, but having it for when it snows here is a nice thing as the area I live in does at times get ice and well ice and hills do not mix with cars too well...

Old 02-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
well, heres the repost I put up on the 04 - 08 section

well I took it for a test drive, aside from looseing the 4x4 (and the 20 year old truck that was initally my dream truck as a young kid) the 2006 drove very well, took it to the highway and got it up to 70 and it did it in 3rd gear (still had 4 and 5 to shift into if i had wanted to), did not seem to have an OD that I could tell, and mechanically it was very sound for a truck.

I did get up under the truck and it seemed to have lived life as a farm truck and had almost 0 ccancer found on it anywhere, the dealer also had done a certified preowned vehicle check and overhaul on the truck as well when they received it.

I do really like the truck and it rode very well but now I have to decide if i want ot sell my curent truck (with the parents car) or just hold on to the current truck and sell the car for cash. tough choices, one thing that I guess I have to consider is the fact that the other parts on the older truck (Sandy) while still decient are coming due for rebuilds and the trans does have well over 230K original miles and there is more cancer on the frame and now the cab corners that I do not have the ability to fix (nor the income or health back wise) so I guess it may be time to consider for my health (and my now not so good back) the need for something that would be better on me maintenance wise.

Only down side to the truck that I could even come up with (and its partly a forced excuse) is that its a manual truck and would be something I would have to get used to driving and I would have to spend time adding my personality to it and that it has no cruise, but honestly that really isnt that big of a deal cruise as I very rarely use it in my existing truck. so I guess the time has come to decide weather I move on to newer trucks or stick with the old (sig other refuses to let me keep two trucks as they feel its "over kill" but I suppose it would be better to consolidate the bills down to one or two cars (we have 4...)

well thats enough rambling going to try and upload pics so you all can see the truck as I did, the dealer did say that if I bought the truck they would take care of the safety items like the broken mirror and bumper so im happy with that...

may see if possible if I get the new ruck if I can transfer the tool box and the back rack to it as I do like those items...aside from that I kinda like having a slightly larger cab to work in and the spare jack and all that stuff was there!!

here is the link to the photobucket albumb with all the pictures of the 2006 F150, please take a look and let me know what you guys think...

http://s854.photobucket.com/user/CVP...?sort=3&page=1

Old 10-07-2023, 02:00 PM
Winter2
Mountain Pass
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Based on the reports by owners the 2017 super duty trucks were the worst trucks produced over the past 14 years. The only good thing was that they have the stronger frame that Ford finally introduced in 2016 (Ram did this in 2013/2014 and GM/Chevy did this in 2011). Suspension and steering problems were the source of the most complaints. These trucks were known to exhibit the "death wobble". The wobble at freeway speeds appears to have been corrected with the 2021 and newer super duty trucks.

Old 10-09-2023, 03:54 PM
whagen
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I daily drive my 2017 6.2 CCSB and it's being fine for 70K. I bought it new. I have replace the fan clutch, battery and shocks (plus wear items). The fuel pump is on the list to be replaced (it has a long crank, been this way for a while). I was a bit hesitant on buying since it was the first year for it. But the F150 already has the aluminum body. I am guessing pickups go through tougher testing to resolve as many issues as possible before it gets to customers. Buying anything used comes down to how the previous owners took care of it. Considering the numbers of super duty pickups sold there has not been any significant show stoppers, there has not even been many recalls for significant things. Best of luck in finding a truck.