1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Passenger side not firing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM
morson82
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passenger side not firing

97 f350 PSD with 160,000 original owner.
Was running fine. Started to leave work and all of the sudden started running very rough, blue smoke and no power. Thought the diesel might have gelled so got additive and new filter. Got home (barely ) and the fuel wasn't gelled. Changed the filter anyway. I visually checked the uvch and all we're clean and intact and not melted. I replaced all the connectors and gaskets a couple years ago. I started the truck and it was running very rough. I disconnected the passenger side connectors and there was no change. I then did the drivers side and the engine died.

So obviously there is an issue with the right side. Where do I go from here. I very Mechanically inclined but pretty rusty with all the acronyms. Thanks

Old 01-29-2015, 07:13 PM
wils3825
Senior User
I would guess that the connectors are damaged, just not visibly. Did you pull the cover to see the inside connections? Could the wiring that goes to it be damaged/Shorting out?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:22 PM
morson82
Freshman User
Haven't opened it up as of yet. The wiring (uvch) has been replaced and is relatively on the new side. Both banks on the right side are not firing. Checked the pins and connectors are in good shape with no shorting or melting. Weird how the entire right side just **** the bed at once. Thinking maybe the PCM.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or idm on the fire wall, but I would pull the cover and check in there.

What brand of gaskets did you use by chance?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:43 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull the IDM off the driver side inner fender and give it a shake. May have water in it. The IDM has shut down the passenger side bank of injectors for some reason. Could be in the IDM, or could be an electrical problem under the valve cover. One of my trucks did the exact same thing and the IDM had water in it.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:29 AM
morson82
Freshman User
Doubt there is any water in the IDM. I don't drive the truck regularly any more, and it's only snow here. Now that I think about it, a few days before this issue the starter relay was just clicking at times. I had replaced it back in October. Not sure if it could be related. Anyway, it's 9 degrees outside with a wind chill of -12. I will never get the truck started to get it into the garage, so I'm going to suck it up and try to get the uvch replaced.

Before I do that, I want to. Heck to make sure I'm getting juice to the uvch. How do I test to check this.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:25 AM
bryanlindborg600
Senior User
id be leaning toward the idm as well, i had it go out on me and it showed no signs of water damage or water being in it, if you have somebody around you or know some one willing to let you put your idm into there truck and see if it runs just as shoty that way if for some odd reason your truck is frying idms you dont ruin somebody elses with this test.. but if your connectors are all good inside and out i would bet on the idm

Old 01-31-2015, 10:38 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by morson82
Doubt there is any water in the IDM. I don't drive the truck regularly any more, and it's only snow here. Now that I think about it, a few days before this issue the starter relay was just clicking at times. I had replaced it back in October. Not sure if it could be related. Anyway, it's 9 degrees outside with a wind chill of -12. I will never get the truck started to get it into the garage, so I'm going to suck it up and try to get the uvch replaced.

Before I do that, I want to. Heck to make sure I'm getting juice to the uvch. How do I test to check this.
Don't ever doubt that there could be water in the IDM. It is a very common problem. The starter relay won't have anything at all to do with one bank of injectors not firing. Your problem is somewhere between the IDM and injectors. Pretty limited area.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:56 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The IDM will intentionally shut down a whole side if it detects any problem in any cylinder on that side. So yes, along with checking the IDM for water, don't rule out a UVC wiring issue under the cover.

What brand of UVCH wiring did you install on that side? Did you replace the gasket? Whatever damage you found on the old wiring, was there any damage to the corresponding terminals on the gasket?

Old 01-31-2015, 01:16 PM
morson82
Freshman User
I don't remember what brand uvch I used. I just spoke to the diesel mechanic friend if mine. He is extremely well versed with these. After explaining the issue to him he said it was the IDM and that he would start there first. He said even though it's the most expensive way to go, seeing that both banks on the right side shut down at the same time and are individually connected, that seems to be the issue.

With that being said, are there any I particular ones to stay away from send ones to lean towards.

Old 01-31-2015, 01:44 PM
morson82
Freshman User
This IDM original to the truck, making it 18 years old

Old 01-31-2015, 02:31 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Dorman is the brand of valve cover wiring that's known to have problems.

It's easy to throw parts at it. But it's a LOT cheaper to TEST. Spending money on an IDM, esp. a reman, before removing the valve cover to inspect the wiring inside could be an expensive option. The IDM shutting down one side when it detects an issue with any one cylinder on that side is how the IDM works normally; this does not necessarily indicate an IDM failure or malfunction.

One option, that might be a decent investment anyway, would be to get an IDM from a junkyard truck or from a part-out listing on one of the forum sites. So even if yours is good, a spare IDM isn't a bad thing to have around.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:16 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by madpogue
Dorman is the brand of valve cover wiring that's known to have problems.

It's easy to throw parts at it. But it's a LOT cheaper to TEST. Spending money on an IDM, esp. a reman, before removing the valve cover to inspect the wiring inside could be an expensive option. The IDM shutting down one side when it detects an issue with any one cylinder on that side is how the IDM works normally; this does not necessarily indicate an IDM failure or malfunction.

One option, that might be a decent investment anyway, would be to get an IDM from a junkyard truck or from a part-out listing on one of the forum sites. So even if yours is good, a spare IDM isn't a bad thing to have around.
Agreed ^^^^^^^

Old 02-01-2015, 04:45 PM
morson82
Freshman User
So I went onto my local craigslist and located a used and working IDM for $50.00. I slapped it in and she fired right up and is running as she should. I did a little plowing with it and no problems.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 PM
longtruck
Freshman User
Mine did the same thing glad you got it fixed

Quick Reply: Passenger side not firing