1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Seized 7.3?

Old 02-07-2015, 11:09 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd try to start it before getting an alternator.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay I'll do that hopefully tomorrow as soon as the batteries are off the charger.

Thanks I'll keep you posted

Old 02-08-2015, 09:19 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interested to see how it plays out. I know a new alternator fixed up some of the issues I had.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:48 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Interested to see how it plays out. I know a new alternator fixed up some of the issues I had.
though I know an alternator can be a problem I think the main issue is something else. Fuel shutoff in injector pump or fuel pump maybe.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:08 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Hmm, that gives me an idea, bluemtn, what do you have your fuel injector pump timing advanced to?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:30 AM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
1 flat. I assume you mean turned up? I only turned it up one flat but that was this past summer. It's been fine since then. Are we sure its not seized and/or blown?

Thanks again guys

Old 02-09-2015, 09:04 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemtn95ford
1 flat. I assume you mean turned up? I only turned it up one flat but that was this past summer. It's been fine since then. Are we sure its not seized and/or blown?

Thanks again guys
The easiest way to see if the engine is seized is to put a socket on the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on the crank, and try to turn the engine over with a breaker bar, with the truck in park if an auto, nutral if a manual tranny.If you can rotate the engine one full rotation the engine is not seized.
My 90 quit me on day, and the fuel heater had shorted out and melted the fuseable link. It had the same crappy type fuel heater as the strokes do. Your 93 probably has a fuse for the fuel heater in the under hood fuse box, as Ford started using the under hood box in the 92 model year. With the key in the run position you should have juice to the fuel pump selinoid.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:43 AM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by farmert
The easiest way to see if the engine is seized is to put a socket on the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer on the crank, and try to turn the engine over with a breaker bar, with the truck in park if an auto, nutral if a manual tranny.If you can rotate the engine one full rotation the engine is not seized.
My 90 quit me on day, and the fuel heater had shorted out and melted the fuseable link. It had the same crappy type fuel heater as the strokes do. Your 93 probably has a fuse for the fuel heater in the under hood fuse box, as Ford started using the under hood box in the 92 model year. With the key in the run position you should have juice to the fuel pump selinoid.
Okay thanks I'll try both. I took the batteries off the charger this morning. If I get the chance when I get home I'm going to hook them up and try and start it.

You're suggesting a fuse blew and that's what killed it? I hate to say this but I've never been in the fuse box.. Interesting I'll have to check.

Thanks again

Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 AM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
Okay well I got the batteries back in off the trickle charger and tried starting it. Mind you this was without the alternator in, I don't know if that makes a difference. But when I turned the key it tried to start and then made some loud clicking noises. Starter?

Still haven't had a chance to check fuses and such. I'm super busy.

Thanks for everyones patience and help

Old 02-11-2015, 08:05 PM
sean9049
Senior User
a fast loud clicking would be dead batteries, you didnt have your alternator in? i guess you didnt have your belt on then

Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 PM
MI02SVT
Senior User
Sounds to me like junk batteries take them in to the parts store and have them load tested for free if they're junk get some new ones and get your alternator tested while your there

Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bluemtn95ford
But when I turned the key it tried to start and then made some loud clicking noises. Starter?
Elaborate on "it tried to start". Did the engine actually turn?

Have you taken five minutes to put a SOCKET and BREAKER BAR on the crankshaft pulley bolt, to see if the engine will turn?

If the batteries are fully charged, it shouldn't matter if the alternator is not present when trying to start the engine. Just don't leave it running if you do manage to get it started that way. Without the belt, you have no working water pump.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:43 AM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
IT STARTED. I can't believe it but it did. Here's what went down:
I started the night by changing the oil and filter because it was about due. It was rather low on oil but not out. The oil was rather black and smelled like burnt..something. Anyway, I then put a breaker bar on the crank shaft and turned it 360 degrees (with some difficulty) Which prompted me to try and start it again. I got in and turned the key and the batteries barely had enough juice to power the lights, let alone turn the starter.
I though this was weird considering I only tried to start it once since taking the batteries off the charger.
I decided to jump it and when I did so it started. I only let it run for about 2 seconds as the belt and alternator were out and I didn't want to hurt anything. It ran a little rough and smoked some (I'm not sure where the smoke came from as it's dark). The running rough may be due to the fact that the truck has been sitting in winter weather for about a week.

Anyway that's my miracle story. I thought for sure it was seized when I drained the oil and saw it only had about 5 qts. But apparently not yet?

Thanks for everyone's input, any advice on the smoke and next steps to check the cause of death/lack of battery power are appreciated.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:50 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Well that's good it started!

Old 02-12-2015, 02:20 PM
bluemtn95ford
Elder User
So far so good!

Is it possible the motor is "half seized" and therefore the pistons may be gripping the cylinder walls causing rough idle?

Thanks again all for your words of wisdom. I really appreciate your help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seized 7.3?