Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Throwing an IDM Code...ugh...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:16 PM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
My point being that the "buzz test" and any associated codes from the IDM have absolutely ZERO to do with any mechanical issue that would have or could have been created by running out of fuel or by running anything other than #2. The fact that the OP runs an alternative fuels in his pickup will in no way cause an electrical malfunction.

To put it into "few words":

The IDM has no way in hell of knowing what the mechanical parts of the injector are doing (no system on the 7.3L does) so ANY IDM or injector circuit fault codes HAVE to be electrical problems.

You are technically right about "knowing about the mechanical side". But I do think that there may be a connection between the mechanical and electrical. 6.0 engines have an FICM that can fail when stiction(injectors not moving as quickly as they should, causing higher currents through the injector circuits) is present.
Is it possible that 7.3 engines have a weak link in the injector coil which can fail from the higher operating currents that result from the pintles hanging up? If the coil, which is very fine wire, opens up from this excess current, it would throw the code for high to low side open.
Larry

Old 01-31-2015, 01:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Solenoids: When the poppet, plunger, piston, or whatever is being pulled doesn't move - the current will rise and heat will be generated. The IDM may or may not see this as a short across that one solenoid (P126x code. Once the coil overheats and opens, then it could possibly show as an intermittent open - but more likely a stable open.

We're talking under 3 ms per activation - with a 77 ms rest at 3000 RPM. I doubt that little blip has a chance to really heat the coil up, but 120 volts is some respectable juice.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:19 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
The injector solenoids have no connection whatsoever to anything mechanical. Hell, they don't even have an armature THROUGH them. They sit on top of the injector and receive voltage (current dictated by the resistance), create a magnetic field, suck up a ferrous armature plate, voltage is cut off, the magnetic field collapses around the coiled wire previously energized creating a flyback voltage, and the cycle repeats. An actual armature through the coil would have a little effect on the creation of the flyback voltage, but even at that, the IDM is too stupid to figure that one out.

Here's a question:

When the armature plate clearance is too tight and the engine is cold, what happens? In severe cases, nothing inside the injector moves. Why don't these circuit codes show up at that point?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:34 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cleatus12r

Here's a question:

When the armature plate clearance is too tight and the engine is cold, what happens? In severe cases, nothing inside the injector moves. Why don't these circuit codes show up at that point?
Good info...At what temperature does this begin to happen?

Old 01-31-2015, 11:41 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cleatus and Tugly make logical points. I was trying to find a connection between Mike's original posting about the possible cause of injector issues he may be having. When one thing happens (running out of veggie fuel) and then another problem comes up, I try to think of a possible connection. Often times it is just coincidental, but sometimes not. Did a lot of air mixing with the diesel cause an injector to fail in some way? That was my original thought which I didn't express well.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:45 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by retiredsparky
Cleatus and Tugly make logical points. I was trying to find a connection between Mike's original posting about the possible cause of injector issues he may be having. When one thing happens (running out of veggie fuel) and then another problem comes up, I try to think of a possible connection. Often times it is just coincidental, but sometimes not. Did a lot of air mixing with the diesel cause an injector to fail in some way? That was my original thought which I didn't express well.
It is all good....and also logical by all parties. Whilst using logic, one has to consider coincidence...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:45 AM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm going to order a new valve cover gasket and UVCH. I know that one of the clips one the UVHC had cracked when I had to take the hybrids out to be rebuilt. I have the quarters in there and haven't had a problem until now. I haven't had time to look yet between the rain, snow and twenty degree weather. Truck wont fit in the garage.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
...…… I haven't had time to look yet between the rain, snow and twenty degree weather. Truck wont fit in the garage.
That's no fun..........

Old 02-04-2015, 07:05 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Hopefully I get into this Saturday. Now P0272 shows up. Cylinder 4 contribution fault.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:59 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

OK, Just now getting into this. I just disconnected the 42 pin connector. There is a spot that has rubbed through on one of the wire's insulation. It is a brown wire with a white tracer. I'm going to address this problem now and keep moving on.

Anyone know which wire this is?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:20 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
They harness might be the same for all years, but what year is your truck just in case.

It isn't uncommon for the wires laying across the drivers side VC to rub and expose the wires causing a short. Definitely get that taken care of.......

Old 02-08-2015, 01:23 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
or better yet, the pin location (on the 42 pin connector) associated with the wire would be more helpful.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:28 PM
F-250 Super Duty
Laughing Gas

Truck is 2002. I tried the OHM test from the Drivers side high voltage supply to #4 it didn't read anything. Tried all the drivers side bank and didn't read anything. Then switched to Passenger side, nothing across them either. not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I try to take the back cover off without breaking it to see the wire location.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:37 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Check out this thread as well.

Robert is testing them as you.... some good info & pics for extra reference might help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-no-start.html

Old 02-08-2015, 01:46 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 Super Duty
Truck is 2002. I tried the OHM test from the Drivers side high voltage supply to #4 it didn't read anything. Tried all the drivers side bank and didn't read anything. Then switched to Passenger side, nothing across them either. not sure what I'm doing wrong...

I try to take the back cover off without breaking it to see the wire location.
What is your meter set on

Quick Reply: Throwing an IDM Code...ugh...