6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Finally joining the club--going to tear into the truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:06 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally joining the club--going to tear into the truck

Since my truck has been running great for almost a year (1 year the end of next month) I figure it's time to do some stuff (other than paint and fill the gap between the bed and cab) Main list is:
1. IPR EGR delete with Up pipe (all gaskets needed for the things I take apart)
2. Updated STC (I may have it but can't say)
3. Updated Dummy Plugs and Standpipes (again I may have but can't say)
4. Buillit's updated Y pipe (I'm pulling the turbo--I might as well)
5. RiffRaff boots
6. New radiator hoses (hoping Mishimoto)
7. Flush and fill with ELC
8. All new fluids: dif, tranny, etc
9. 6.4 tranny pan and filter
10.New belt
SDS is working up a list of all things needed for me to do this (you always miss or forget something) and once we have that I will get going. I'm doing all of this as a maint. thing but want to have these things done before I do the big stuff such as 190amp alt and cables, tunes, gauges (mechanical or monitor) I plan on taking a week off of work so I don't have to rush any of it--so it will be a few weeks before I can get started--but looking forward to it.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Congrats! But, taking time off work to ...work? just kidding, i get it. You'll probably be adding a few tools to the list as well, unless you're already a tool junkie like Sean. I'd like to have one of those Milwaukee electric ratchets but I have a compressor and air tools sooo...

Old 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Congrats! But, taking time off work to ...work? just kidding, i get it. You'll probably be adding a few tools to the list as well, unless you're already a tool junkie like Sean. I'd like to have one of those Milwaukee electric ratchets but I have a compressor and air tools sooo...
haha--yep-If I just did it on the weekend--I'd would take me months to get it all done and I can't take that long. I always tell the wife that the only way I can get anything done for me is to take off work--otherwise all of my time is hers and the companies lol. I'll probably be buying some tools again that I already have--but I can't find. I upgraded my compressor for Christmas so I was preparing then I like air tools

Old 01-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Have fun. The 6.0 is not that hard to work on, it is just tight under the hood. Be careful with the STC and HPOP, don't drop anything!. Be very careful with any dirt and grime, clean the top of the engine off before cracking anything open and still be careful removing gaskets etc.

IPR is great to work with, they have great tech support even on stuff they do not sell.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Yup, I did my coolers on my off time and it took three weeks if I remember right. Spent a lot of time cleaning and painting and polishing stuff. I changed jobs in my company a few months ago and there is a lot of overtime in the new position. Don't have the time here at FTE I used to have. If I did coolers now I'd have to take time off or it would take six weeks!

Old 01-27-2015, 03:51 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=Excurvelle;15034010]don't drop anything!.

I've read something on that lately lol

Yup, I did my coolers on my off time and it took three weeks if I remember right. Spent a lot of time cleaning and painting and polishing stuff. I changed jobs in my company a few months ago and there is a lot of overtime in the new position. Don't have the time here at FTE I used to have. If I did coolers now I'd have to take time off or it would take six weeks!
I know--I hate having to rush on weekends (and spend all of my weekend) doing this stuff. I get 5 weeks of vacation and 1 week of it has to be taken before the end of March--I hardly ever find the chance to take all of my vacation--which seems silly but I think it's by design (not mine but my employers) lol

Old 01-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
[QUOTE=KDAVID1;15034057]
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
don't drop anything!.

I've read something on that lately lol

I know--I hate having to rush on weekends (and spend all of my weekend) doing this stuff. I get 5 weeks of vacation and 1 week of it has to be taken before the end of March--I hardly ever find the chance to take all of my vacation--which seems silly but I think it's by design (not mine but my employers) lol

Yup, I feel for that guy.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:16 PM
bubba_78363
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Have fun with it. I just finished up last night doing oil cooler, EGR delete, standpipes/dummy plugs and updated STC. Also switched over to ELC. I like you took a week of leave. It wasn't detrimental that I get the stuff done however the way I look at it is "it's something different" to do. I have been in Naval Aviation (maintenance) for the past 22yrs, and I enjoy taking things apart and putting them back together. You get to take your time, and as Rusty said you have the time to clean a little extra, or paint this or that, and by gosh just like watching an airplane take flight the first time after you changed the engine the sound of that diesel come back to life is wonderful. Best part is you get the satisfaction of knowing it was done right. Just don't over-torque the downpipe clamps with that fancy new compressor and air ratchet like this guy did. It creates an awful hiss.

Matt

Last edited by bubba_78363; 01-27-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 01-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Us aviation folks are probably funny to Techs who make their living turning wrenches on vehicles. Waayy too **** about cleaning, and filing burrs, test fitting, torquing EVERYTHING like a TI is going to have to "buy" the job later. Too many years of working like that and were ruined for other jobs. I suspect I might get a little hungry if I tried to earn a living as a vehicle Tech.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:47 PM
bubba_78363
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Us aviation folks are probably funny to Techs who make their living turning wrenches on vehicles. Waayy too **** about cleaning, and filing burrs, test fitting, torquing EVERYTHING like a TI is going to have to "buy" the job later. Too many years of working like that and were ruined for other jobs. I suspect I might get a little hungry if I tried to earn a living as a vehicle Tech.
I know exactly what you mean. I have been on the side of doing the work hoping that QA signs off on it the first time and I have been the **** QA guy. Things leak I get that, but unless you are scrambling to put "warheads on foreheads" then there was absolutely no way that I would buy off on any residual oil whether it be inside the engine or on the outside of the cowling.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:50 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Hahaha--got that right. One good thing is none of this is a have too. Being **** I would like to just change out the oil cooler too--but since it's good that money will go to the other stuff. One rule of thumb with me is take it off with air tools put it back by hand--keeps me honest lol.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:00 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aviation guys may be a little **** but then when they break down at 30,000 feet, you can't pull over and call Auto Club. Straight down to the ground and nobody gets to walk away from that.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Ahmen!!!

2006 F350 4X4

Old 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Your replacing the radiator hoses and coolant... what about the t-stat? I'm on a cell using tapatalk, no signature shows, you already have it maybe?

Old 01-27-2015, 06:45 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Your replacing the radiator hoses and coolant... what about the t-stat? I'm on a cell using tapatalk, no signature shows, you already have it maybe?
Already have the Mishimoto tstat--put it a few months back.

2006 F350 4X4

Quick Reply: Finally joining the club--going to tear into the truck