Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

IDI gear driven engine mount hydraulic pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:29 PM
IDIorDIE
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IDI gear driven engine mount hydraulic pump

Hey guys whats going on , this is my first post so please bear with me , I have a few questions pertaining to the IDI engines themselves more or less
1.) Were the 7.3's and 6.9's used in any other applications besides trucks?
2.) Is there a hydraulic pump out there that can be directly mounted to the engine like on the newer model tractors
I'm not talking about a Belt driven pump that is driven off of the Serpentine belt but rather like the ones off of farm machinery that are driven off of the engines Cam gear
I know this is possible with a Cummins 6bt because you just (basically) need to change the timing cover and add the pump with the gear and bam you have a full time functioning hydraulic pump that can push 8-9+gpm (depending on what pump you use)
I was wondering if there Is something like this available for the IDI's if they were ever used in Tractors, Combines, ect....
Thanks any Input is Greatly Appreciated!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 11:18 PM
cadunkle
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I believe the common Ford and Saginaw power steering pumps are in the 2-4 GPM range and 1000+ psi. I would think for the flow you're looking for a PTO setup would be the way. Not saying they never made an engine driven pump, maybe for the International applications. What are you intending to run with the hydraulic pump?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:55 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just light and medium duty trucks as far as i know. PTO pumps are readily available for the trans. You looking for power assist or something?

Old 01-27-2015, 04:58 AM
IDIorDIE
New User
I would like to use a full time functioning pump setup, I set hay out for cattle at 3 different locations with an open station tractor and it pretty much sucks in the winter, I am going to be building an A frame with hydraulic lift arms and a quick attach plate on the back of my flatbed and pretty much make it so I can set out and move round bales with my truck, I know its a bit crazy or weird but I would rather have the luxuries of a truck cab rather than a 15* windchill, if you look up "the Jeeptor" on YouTube this is pretty much what I want to do just on a smaller scale

Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
A pto pump should be all you need. If you have a 5 speed trans it will have a cover on the side of the trans that you remove and install the pump. You turn it off and on with a cable from inside the cab. If your transmission doesn't have the provision your transfer case probably does.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:45 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
You could also use an electric over hydraulic setup.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:39 AM
IDIorDIE
New User
I have looked into PTO setups please correct me if I am wrong but the way I understand it is that most if not all of them can't be ran while the truck is moving so I would have to stop, engage, move the arms, disengage, move backwards, stop engage, pick up, and then disengage, also I am not sure if the cylinders will hold constant pressure or bleed off when the arms are holding out a 1600lbs roundbale at (roughly) 2.5ft away from the truck if the PTO is disengaged, the only problem with an electric over hydraulic pump is fear of burning up the pump, most of them aren't made/built to supply constant pressure for more than 30min
Please understand I'm not trying to be difficult lol and would just like to say thanks for all of the information so far

Old 01-27-2015, 08:29 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This:
Originally Posted by bashby
You could also use an electric over hydraulic setup.
would make the most sense to me. Much more adaptable to installation in other vehicles if needed; not tied down to a particular installation.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 AM
IDIorDIE
New User
Ok guys I have done a lot more research on this topic and sadly it is not possible without pretty much making your own cam gear to mount on the front of the engine along with measuring and getting the teeth to match up with the pump so you don't over spin it causing the pump to burn up, Its my opinion that a more practical way of doing this would be to have an electric/hydraulic setup, but for what I am trying to do I would have to swap a Deutz or Cummins engine in so that I would be able to have a gear driven pump, the whole reason I wanted to do this was to not only make it easier to set out round bales but it was also in the plan to mount auxillary hydraulics so that I could not only use it with a bucket and fork's but to include the uses of a skid steer, like a backhoe attachment or grapple bucket, in order to accommodate this attachment you have to be pushing at least 35 hydraulic Horsepower and when you are only pushing 3-4gpm at 1,000 psi you are only making 2.3 hydraulic horsepower which is just simply not enough lol, Like I have said before thank you guys for all of the input

Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Sounds like you should just get an enclosed cab tractor.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:34 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Pickup Truck 12 Volt Hydraulic Hay Bale Spear Flatbed | eBay

Do you know you can buy something that will do what you want?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:47 AM
IDIorDIE
New User
The main thing is having the ability for other uses and still being able to use my flatbed, I should just be able to build a frame for the loader and be able to back up pin it hook up the lines and go, I would like to be able to use a set of forks also for moving used oil totes inside the shop, shuffling small equipment around, and having the hydraulics for testing farm equipment,
being able to transport the loader capabilities would make the day and small projects go by so much easier around here

Old 01-27-2015, 11:50 AM
IDIorDIE
New User
I probably should invest in a cab tractor lol, but I like this idea too much lol

Old 01-27-2015, 12:05 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
My dad has a few open and semi enclosed tractors. Jd 4020, 4220 2020... he got a used 6300 a couple years ago. Its one of those things you cant believe you lived without. Ac in the summer and heat in the winter. You really dont need the heat, its like a big greenhouse and you will be running ac most of tbe time. Cuts down on the fatigue factor a ton when baling hay for long hours

Old 01-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Y'know, wouldn't it be just as easy to rig up two PS pumps? Probably cheaper than a PTO driven pump, too. You'd want to use remote-reservoir PS pumps, and put together a tank for the fluid; simple enough.

Quick Reply: IDI gear driven engine mount hydraulic pump