Sponsored by: DP Tuner

EBPV sound when closing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:57 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
EBPV sound when closing

I recently hook my EBPV for the cold weather. yesterday when i came out to crank and let it warm a bit i noticed after about a min or so idle the speed would increase a bit and the EBPV would close.

After about 5 or so seconds it would start sounding like it was pulsing. I took a video of it. take a list ten and let me know if that is normal or wierd and why if you don't mind.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine dont pulse like that.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats normal when you hit the brakes for it to stop.

How long has your EBPV been disconnected? Just a guess but you may have some soot build up on the butterfly flap.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:30 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Warming up like that is normal. And yeah, hitting the brakes or the accelerator will open it back up.

The pulsing sounds like romping to me, but I've only experienced that in gear while backing up, not while my EBPV is closed at idle for warm up purposes.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 01-27-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 AM
scotttahoe
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that you say that, romps make more sense then the soot build up usually soot build up makes the butterfly flap to stick.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:30 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by scotttahoe
Thats normal when you hit the brakes for it to stop.

How long has your EBPV been disconnected? Just a guess but you may have some soot build up on the butterfly flap.
it was only disconnected for a couple of months.. but during that time i was hardly driving it. I use a diesel conditioner in white bottle during summer.. I remember when we went to buy truck the end of august it did the same thing when we were checking it over and it been idling a bit.

The PO had no clue what it was. I don't think he used any diesel conditioner as i did not see any bottles in truck and it was not mentioned.

I will be doing a turbo rebuilt this summer and will do EBPV, pedistal etc at that time so i may find some buildup on valve.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:10 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
It can happen without anything really bad going on, but I haven't found the root cause of it yet.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:32 PM
brushfit
Mountain Pass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carl2591
I recently hook my EBPV for the cold weather. yesterday when i came out to crank and let it warm a bit i noticed after about a min or so idle the speed would increase a bit and the EBPV would close.

After about 5 or so seconds it would start sounding like it was pulsing. I took a video of it. take a list ten and let me know if that is normal or wierd and why if you don't mind.

Mine was doing that as well….It was a mystery to me too..And in the course of repair and or replace, I found a clogged and broken EBP tube..a leaking EBPV in my turbo pedestal…But I gotta say, I already miss the warm-up feature of the EBPV

Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has never done that, but I have experienced little to no power on cold morning start ups a couple of times. No noise like that however. The couple of times that I have had to romps though it really ROMPS. Almost feels like one whole bank is dead for a couple seconds and then runs fine.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:43 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was a GREAT idea posting the audio. Wish more would supply pictures and audio. What a help! Reps!

Unfortunately, I'm almost Deaf! What your explaining sounds normal.

How I characterize it is it's HI, LOW, HI, LOW, similar to romp but noticeable only in the Exhaust.

This was eliminated on the latest Flash. The ONLY reason it was eliminated was because of "customer concerns". The later tune holds the EBPV in one position rather than cycling. You may also see some faint white smoke on a very cold morning as it dumps fuel in its strategy between the event to maintain idle at about 1,000 RPM.

** This still occurs on the latest flash when the outside air temperature and oil temperature is below 30*F. You can ask around and I think you'll hear people say "Yes, that happens every now and then".

** If you have a Chip like a DP Tuner, with the high-idle/EBPV Tune it holds the EBPV Steady once installed and none of the strategies are employed when it is.

If this is what it is, and this sounds like the event your seeing, there is absolutely no problem. IH did not change their strategy because of this, only Ford.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:19 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by whitetmw
That was a GREAT idea posting the audio. Wish more would supply pictures and audio. What a help! Reps!

Unfortunately, I'm almost Deaf! What your explaining sounds normal.

How I characterize it is it's HI, LOW, HI, LOW, similar to romp but noticeable only in the Exhaust.

This was eliminated on the latest Flash. The ONLY reason it was eliminated was because of "customer concerns". The later tune holds the EBPV in one position rather than cycling. You may also see some faint white smoke on a very cold morning as it dumps fuel in its strategy between the event to maintain idle at about 1,000 RPM.

** This still occurs on the latest flash when the outside air temperature and oil temperature is below 30*F. You can ask around and I think you'll hear people say "Yes, that happens every now and then".

** If you have a Chip like a DP Tuner, with the high-idle/EBPV Tune it holds the EBPV Steady once installed and none of the strategies are employed when it is.

If this is what it is, and this sounds like the event your seeing, there is absolutely no problem. IH did not change their strategy because of this, only Ford.
Yes it sounds low high low.. more like if you put your hand over a air blower the sound changes.. i do think it more of the flap moving close to less close to more close etc.
at first it stay more constant like it more closed.. I plan on putting the EBPV on a switch on the dash for braking, along with TC lock up, so I will be able to control the valve and eliminate the pulsing..

should i have the software reflashed? I think somethink was done when the CPS recall was done but i was not owner then.

Any way to find out what has been done on truck. I hear the oasis report?? what is that.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:38 AM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the Ebp sensor & make sure tube is clean (no soot) or breaks in tubing. Also clean fitting where tube attaches at bottom. Sounds like its hunting due to bad sensor to me.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I hear the oasis report?? what is that.
OASIS: Ford's Online Automotive Service Information System

It's a database of all Ford vehicles that have had warrantee service done at any Ford dealership, going back 10 years.

Stewart

Old 01-29-2015, 03:58 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
thats good info on the tube and sensor.. I did clean the tube already but did not check the sensor. Sound like it might be easier to just replace the sensor with now 169K miles.

and to the oasis report.. if i go to ford dealership and they will do it?? any cost? what if my truck is over 10 yrs old. It goes back 10 yrs from today not from date of manf??

thanks for the replys..

Old 01-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
and to the oasis report.. if i go to ford dealership and they will do it?? any cost? what if my truck is over 10 yrs old. It goes back 10 yrs from today not from date of manf??

thanks for the replys..
There's no charge, but not all dealerships are accommodating. Some will run it and give you a print out, some will run it and tell you verbally whats there but no print out, and some won't do either.

The 10 year rule isn't hard and fast.

Stewart

Quick Reply: EBPV sound when closing