6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Starter was stuck or frozen today..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:27 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Starter was stuck or frozen today..

I don't know if it got water in it from driving 500 miles in rain and slush snow then temps dropped,etc. or it's getting old. 105 k now. Tapping at it it seemed to start it.
Funny thing is it started fine this morning at 4:30 am with temps at -14. Went to work and at 10:30 am took a break to go out and it wouldn't start. Lights came on etc. but when I turned the key to engage the starter it did nothing. I bought 2 new batteries and that didn't change anything. Tapping seemed to bring it to life.
Now what to do..someone said if the starter got water in it it will never dry out.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:03 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by capt caper
I don't know if it got water in it from driving 500 miles in rain and slush snow then temps dropped,etc. or it's getting old. 105 k now. Tapping at it it seemed to start it.
Funny thing is it started fine this morning at 4:30 am with temps at -14. Went to work and at 10:30 am took a break to go out and it wouldn't start. Lights came on etc. but when I turned the key to engage the starter it did nothing. I bought 2 new batteries and that didn't change anything. Tapping seemed to bring it to life.
Now what to do..someone said if the starter got water in it it will never dry out.
Personally for the cost of replacement I'd do it before you'r stranded somewhere. If banging on it gets it to work, that pretty much tells you it's on its way out.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
sounds like it has a flat spot on the armature.

Time to replace.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:36 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Anyone know how to get it out? I think it's thru the wheel wheel.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:38 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Sounds more like the bushings in the starter are worn allowing the armature to drag against the windings. Not sure if they sell bushing anymore as they did years ago to fix this problem. Also suspect the brushes are worn also. Not sure about late model starters but older ones the brushes were soldered in and you needed a high heat iron to change them.

Best to buy a lifetime warranted starter.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by capt caper
Anyone know how to get it out? I think it's thru the wheel wheel.
This is the procedure listed in the 2015 Ford Service DVD...not very informative.....but it did have a short video of a tech reaching in over the frame rail with the inner panel removed to lift out and insert the new starter.

WARNING: Always disconnect the battery ground cable at the battery before disconnecting the starter motor battery terminal lead. If a tool is shorted at the starter motor battery terminal, the tool can quickly heat enough to cause a skin burn. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: A protective cap or boot is provided over the battery input terminal on all vehicle lines and must be installed after repairing.

NOTE: Install the 3 starter motor bolts finger tight. Tighten the top starter motor bolt, then tighten the 2 remaining starter motor bolts.

NOTE: Remove the RH fender splash shield. For additional Information, refer to Section 501-02 .

NOTE: If equipped, disconnect the block heater cord.

Refer to the procedures and/or exploded views in this section for any Warnings, Notices, Notes, Materials, Specifications, and Special Tools. Items in the exploded views may not be listed in order of removal.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 PM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
This is the procedure listed in the 2015 Ford Service DVD...not very informative.....but it did have a short video of a tech reaching in over the frame rail with the inner panel removed to lift out and insert the new starter.

WARNING: Always disconnect the battery ground cable at the battery before disconnecting the starter motor battery terminal lead. If a tool is shorted at the starter motor battery terminal, the tool can quickly heat enough to cause a skin burn. Failure to follow this instruction may result in serious personal injury.

NOTE: A protective cap or boot is provided over the battery input terminal on all vehicle lines and must be installed after repairing.

NOTE: Install the 3 starter motor bolts finger tight. Tighten the top starter motor bolt, then tighten the 2 remaining starter motor bolts.

NOTE: Remove the RH fender splash shield. For additional Information, refer to Section 501-02 .

NOTE: If equipped, disconnect the block heater cord.

Refer to the procedures and/or exploded views in this section for any Warnings, Notices, Notes, Materials, Specifications, and Special Tools. Items in the exploded views may not be listed in order of removal.
Thanks Larry.... I looked and I'm not sure how the wheel well cover comes out. I see one bolt on the frame.

My 02 7.3 spoiled me...190K and not one issue. Starter or whatever.. This one with 104k had a/c evaporator go,Turbo,now this all within a few months.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Here is the procedure for 2015....should be same for 2011 or very similar

Fender Splash Shield
Removal and Installation

Remove the wheel and tire. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .

Release the wire retainers from the fender splash shield.

Remove the 2 lower front splash shield bolts. To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).

Disconnect the rear pin-type retainer for the lower front fender bolt cover from the front fender splash shield.

Remove the front fender splash shield bolts from the wheel lip.

Remove the 3 inner fender splash shield bolts. To install, tighten to 9 Nm (80 lb-in).

For the LH side, partially lower the fender splash shield and disconnect the 2 air deflector pin-type retainers.

Remove the fender splash shield.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:29 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks....I just talked to one guy who said he couldn't get it out...took it to Ford...$700 to change it. Maybe he didn't know to go thru the wheel splash process. Scary..
Seems not many need starters for this yet. My local Auto Parts store couldn't get them at all yet. I'll keep trying to find one and or any tricks to getting it out.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:32 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
as stated on the other forum.....

The very short video on the 2015 Ford Service DVD shows it coming out with no issues....the tech lifted it out and eased the new one in with nothing shown in the way to work or wiggle it around...he reached in over the frame rail with the splash shield removed...

Advance Auto has a starter with lifetime warranty for 136 plus 35 core. If you order it online to pick up in store, you might can get it with 15% off they are offering...

Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 AM
429SCJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa online shows them available.# RAY 2449292 $129.00 + $49.50 core. Mark

Old 01-27-2015, 08:28 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Mine did that in November after parking indoors heated for a week (first time the truck has parked indoors) and then out to -30C. Had to hammer it for 2 days. It has been fine since. Truck has stayed outdoors since then.

The starter if fairly cheap and readily available so mine will stay in there until it is done altogether.

Good luck

Old 01-27-2015, 01:19 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
Mine did that in November after parking indoors heated for a week (first time the truck has parked indoors) and then out to -30C. Had to hammer it for 2 days. It has been fine since. Truck has stayed outdoors since then.

The starter if fairly cheap and readily available so mine will stay in there until it is done altogether.

Good luck
The problem with that is that the starter decides when and where to be done. Murphys law says that it will be at the most inoportune time and place.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Buy one and carry it along is an option.

Quick Reply: Starter was stuck or frozen today..