Sponsored by: DP Tuner

4x4 Go BOOM!!!!!! 4x4 Owners Read!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:47 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think (?) I found the "Smoking Gun"

When you look up Mercon-V it has License I'm on to something her (possibly a divorce..... It's 1 a.m., I've been looking for days!!).

Reading for the last six hours I finally found headway at Bob is the oil guy, and the National Highway Safety Administrations Website, and The Administration for Highway Safety.

Who said they don't make MERCON anymore....

The ford specification for the Transfer Case Fluid (XL-12) is ESP-M2C166-H, when you look at the MSDS. The Specification in the database it's "Automatic Transmission Fluid, Dexron®, Dexron® II/IIE Trade Name Mercon, Specification #ESP-M2C166-H". Wow!

#M5040901 (Mercon V Liscense Number) which lists in addition to: "class III friction modifiers, acid reducers, and water-resistant additives bla bla bla corrosive bases. Of these, when you look them up, there is a **** load of bad things including "caustic with some aluminums and some other metals listed", guess what our transfer cases are made of?

The NHTSA has complaints in 2007 through 2014 for Automotive Transaxle, Differential, and Transfer Case failures causing accidents and injury to occupants, damage to property, and catastrophic failures. Of course, the Make Model and Persons names are redacted.

The National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS) lists 23 Fires as a result of "Mechanical Failures" in 2007 for Ford F-150, 250, 350, and 550's (that's as recent as there data is).

In 2009 Ford applied for permission to use ESP-M2C166-H (Formerly MERCON) as "Ford Transfer Case Fluid" and was approved.

Amzoil has a note on there site when seeking fluids for Transfer Case stating Ford now uses only "XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid" and not to use MERCON V (but of course their Automat Transmission Fluid is approved as it has special additives.

Lastly, I found a Blackstone Laboratory Report posted on another forum from someone who submitted it because they were afraid damage had occurred to his 2005 F-250 Transfer case. The original was MERCON V which showed elevated Acid. The follow up using "XL-12" showed normal. In the remarks it states "it doesn't appear that the MERCON V caused any damage, all levels were normal.

Could this be it? Did Ford dicontinue an pervios product and replace it with one that didn't work as thought? And, then bring theri previous product back with a different name?

Conspiracy theroists want to know!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:33 AM
glockholiday
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When I went to the Ford dealer a couple years ago for some parts and some Mercon to do a trans flush and change the transfer case fluid they said they didn't have Mercon anymore. They replaced it with Mercon V and said to run it in the trans and transfer case.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Never had a problem with it in all the 4x4's I've owned. Heck they use to run gear oil in the transfer cases years back. I'd say it's more like bad casting then anything.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 PM
snknby123
Elder User
I used Super TECH MERCON V when I did the T-case after I purchased my truck. No mention not to use in T-Case.

Should I consider using the XL-12? Just looking at that T-Case hurts!! Thanks to the OP for the info!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM
mototrig
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF in my t-case. After reading the initial warning to not use Mercon V, I was considering switching to XL-12. Not sure WHAT to do now.

Great detective work!!

Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
I have always used Mobil 1 in mine. The only warning for Mobil 1 is not to use in place of Mercon LV/SP applications. As SP is discontinued and replaced with LV, which is suppose to be a "lifetime" use fluid, I am not going to change to something else. I would argue that there is more to the issue of a failed case than simply looking at a fluid issue.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:43 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SARDiverDan
I have always used Mobil 1 in mine. The only warning for Mobil 1 is not to use in place of Mercon LV/SP applications. As SP is discontinued and replaced with LV, which is suppose to be a "lifetime" use fluid, I am not going to change to something else. I would argue that there is more to the issue of a failed case than simply looking at a fluid issue.
Appreciate the help. Talk with this Tech,

Old 01-26-2015, 04:16 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
A Ford tech, that's a good one. I needed a water pump replaced last year and I was short on time so I took the truck to Ford to have one of their "technicians" do the work. To make a long story short, out of the four gallons of ELC concentrate I left in the cab for them to use I still had two gallons sitting in the cab when the truck was returned to me. The job was quoted for 3-4 hours and it took the guy two days to change out the water pump and he also dropped the new pump on my radiator knocking a whole in it so I needed a new one. Technician clearly had no idea what they are doing.

Or how about the time I took the new truck back to a dealership for its first complimentary oil change only to find out later that day they only put 8 quarts of oil in it when they did the service. No offense to any current techs out there but I have about zero faith in anything coming out of dealership. While I am sure there are some very good techs out there, I have not had any interactions with these good techs yet at any dealership I have ever used.

Or the other time when I was deployed for 15 months so my wife took the truck in to the local dealership for what she said was an oil drip. The trip cost us almost 3k as they replaced just about everything they could think of including putting in a new HPOP.

I am not going to get too worked up over one internet video by a "technician"

Old 01-26-2015, 06:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I am not going to get too worked up over one internet video by a "technician"
Me either. However I do take note when Ford changes the label on all the Motorcraft Mercon V bottles being produced to say "Not for use in transfer cases"

Why would Ford start to say that when they used to say the opposite? Unless the transfer case fluid is twice the price and they're just trying to make some extra cash, it's worth paying attention to.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:54 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
What I don't understand is that Ford must have serviced tens of thousands of trucks with Mercon V over the years but there has been no word in an official capacity requesting owners to bring the trucks in to get the fluid changed in a safety recall. I get stuff in the mail all the time from Ford asking me to take my truck in and trade it in or informing me I should be at X amount of mileage so I should call and make an appointment so why has this little issue gone mostly ignored. Adding a comment on the back of a bottle (in regular print no less) is an issue of concern.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:12 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Phone Call with Customer Service

I said I was going to contact ford and I did. I had a very polite conversation today with a representative from Ford regarding this topic. I don't really know what to make of it. I didn't expect anyone to say yes we know and we're sorry, or to deny it all together. There was a few educational things I took from it though.

I am still going to send a letter just to get a written response so I have one in the event there is something to this.

When I called their customer service line I was told “someone would call me back shortly”. I immediately thought no one will call back.

I got the call in about 15 minutes – KUDO’s to Ford!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ME: I asked him directly is there was an issue with the MERCON-V in Transfer Cases because the internet was ablaze with terrible stories of transfer cases “blowing up” and I didn’t want mine to “blow up”. And, the rumors are that, that’s why Ford now has a “Transfer Case Fluid XL-12”.

HIM: Let me answer this one thing at a time. When Ford audits their service reports quarterly. A Team reviews what’s breaking, how often, is there a spike, is it something that shouldn’t be replaced, or is it something we should be replacing, are the Technicians following their guidance, is there a fix we can get to the field, and so on.

- So, to answer your question, there is no identified correlation to MERCON-V and Transfer Case Failings”. There is no reason to believe that MERCON-V has or, had anything to do with a failures. And, there is no indication transfer cases are failing more than in the past. We track all that information, we're a customer based company.

- The only thing I can tell you about the Transfer Case Fluid is that it’s a coincidence Ford altered its product line to include “XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid” if there is any truth to failures during that time. If there are, we're certainly not aware of any.

- The reasoning behind the XL-12 Product Line was there were too many options for the cunsumer and, limited storage space at dealerships to stock four or five transmission fluids. The advancements in transmission design is what brought MERCON-V into the market. The demand for MERCON-V has been astounding since it came to market. It has exceeded our expectations across the board.

ME: I asked him “What should I run in my MY99 F-250 Electric Shift Transfer Case?”

Him: His response was XL-12. All ford transfer cases should be filled with XL-12.

ME. Why, especially since there is a 2007 Bulletin saying to use it?”

HIM: There are several reason, First off, it’s a waste of money and more important, the product. If we can reduce the demand we can keep, or reduce the price to the consumer.

- Another is the additional additives in MERCON-V was never intended to be used in Transfer Cases. There is really no added value for the customer, It was to be used in the interim, Its design was to be used in a pressurized system and has several other ingredients to reduce heat, clean, capture, and suspend harmful stuff between scheduled fluid changes, ford recommends its use in Transmissions primarily because of shudder complaints and to maximize the transmissions life. And that's exactly what we're seeing.

- It’s also best for steering pumps because it’s far superior to what was used prior.

- Next, the XL-12 was not available until 2013. Ford had always used “MERCON Branded Transmission Fluid” and there was never an intent to do away with the formula, just rebrand it to reduce the Transmission Fluid Line. The formula was a cornerstone 1980's and is now the cornerstone of our transfer cases, and will remain for the foreseeable future, it just has a specific customer purpose now so the customer can identify a part with a fluid, nothing more.

- We have seen positive feedback from service centers since XL-12 became available, it has reduced noise, and eliminated shudder since we’ve began using it in all transfer cases, that saves the cutormer time, the service center time, and in the end the customer is the beneficiary. Just like MERCON-V, XL-12 is exceeding all our expectations.

ME: I have MERCON-V in my MY-99 Transfer Case, should I change it since the MERCON-V is so superior?

- I’ve “heard” technicians say they will blow up, I can send you a link to a video.

Him: No, just make the change over at your next service interval, XL-12 is now our transfer case fluid.

- Dealerships have been doing for just over a year. All dealerships were given a date to make the change over. Of course not all dealerships did it at the same time. We gave them a date and most began before the date they were given. Primarily due to availability.

- What the Technicians were told I can’t speak to. We certainy didn’t develop this product line to replace something that was inferior. MERCON-V is superior on all levels.

- Sounds like maybe some of our Technicians are assuming things on their own. We never said anything would blow up if it weren't used. We said it was being introduced as a single use fluid and it should be used in all ford transfer cases.

- I think you'll find your transfer case to be quieter and shift smoother following the change. Not everything requires high tech fluids to make it perform better.

Me: I asked if I could publish this.

Him: “Absolutely”. Anyone who wishes to speak with a representative should contact Ford Customer Service. They’ll be glad to assist anyone who contacts us, that's why we're here, for our customers.

- We also monitor many forums. We want to know what the problems are our customers experience. We're always trying to improve our customers experience.

Me: I have seen several reports on the NHSTA web site about this issue of failing transfer cases. Your telling me there is no truth to the complaints.

Him: No, anyone can log in to the NHSTA and record a complaint about any consumer product, automobile, home goods, not just cars, there are sites for toasters, washers, etc., they are a great way of getting information to the manufacturer. We receive information weekly from those sites and agencies. And, the consumer has a record of their complaint.

- We encourage it if you’ve seen your service representative, we've done all we can do to satisfy the customer, and the customer still feel there is a problem, we encourage them to take action. Although we do everything we can to avoid it, we realize that's not always possible.

- In the end we want to have satisfied customers, just like our competitors. We feel we do an excellent job keeping our customers happy with our products.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 01-27-2015, 12:13 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nicely done whitetmw. Reps when I get back on my laptop 😎🍻

Old 01-27-2015, 01:18 AM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
whitetmw: You can likely add this 6.0L E350 van converted to 4x4 to your exploding transfer case list:

Sportsmobileforum.com ? View topic - Drivetrain and Transfer Case Carnage

Nicely Done! (Because, I am not permitted to send you any more reps for awhile...)

Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
What I don't understand is that Ford must have serviced tens of thousands of trucks with Mercon V over the years but there has been no word in an official capacity requesting owners to bring the trucks in to get the fluid changed in a safety recall.
If anything I would think using a different fluid would generate a TSB, but the way I understand safety recalls, this wouldn't qualify because there is no manufacturing defect.

Originally Posted by whitetmw
- The reasoning behind the XL-12 Product Line was there were too many options for the cunsumer and, limited storage space at dealerships to stock four or five transmission fluids.
This makes no sense and sounds like double-talk.

Limited storage for 4 or 5 transmission fluids yet Ford decides to add to the amount needing to be stored by creating a line of transfer case fluids?

Yeah, that makes absolute sense.

ME: I asked him “What should I run in my MY99 F-250 Electric Shift Transfer Case?”

Him: His response was XL-12. All ford transfer cases should be filled with XL-12.

ME. Why, especially since there is a 2007 Bulletin saying to use it?”

HIM: There are several reason, First off, it’s a waste of money and more important, the product. If we can reduce the demand we can keep, or reduce the price to the consumer.
Huh?

I understand the question and answer in black above, but can you please clarify the question and response in red?

ME: I have MERCON-V in my MY-99 Transfer Case, should I change it (and fill with XL-12, or leave the Mercon V) since the MERCON-V is so superior?
This is confusing too. I added the words in the parenthesis because I think this is what you meant. Was I correct?

- What the Technicians were told I can’t speak to. We certainy didn’t develop this product line to replace something that was inferior. MERCON-V is superior on all levels.
Wait, what? If Merc V is far superior, why develop another fluid and recommend it's use over Merc V??

Stewart

Old 01-27-2015, 02:55 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Why does is seem that all of these failures are recent. I have to wonder if the formula of merc V has been changed. My brother has been running it in his '07 F-250 for over 200,000 miles without any problems yet 2 trucks that I know of '11 and 12' have both have had problems(1 came unglued, 1 whining/grinding). I've been using it for about 100,000 miles myself with no problems. Did they change cases in '11 or thereabouts?

Quick Reply: 4x4 Go BOOM!!!!!! 4x4 Owners Read!