Switching to a Holley 1848 465cfm.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 AM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
(No worries on the link, the site automatically abbreviates it).

Interesting, mine doesn't have that part, and I didn't even know they existed! It must've been removed/lost on mine. I'm guessing you're talking about one of these?

My spreadbore 80555 did have a screen in the same place, which I always thought was interesting:

Allcarbs sells an aftermarket one that you can put in its place if you didn't originally have one. I think they're there to keep fuel from sloshing over under extreme circumstances.

Name:  CCBfk.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  13.7 KB

Glad it's working great. I think I'll be keeping my eyes out for a second one.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:19 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
I'm curious where/how you connected a return spring. The throttle lever has but one hole. I don't want to drill, so installed a longer ball/stud and hooked the spring there. Had to mickey a spring holder up close to the engine.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:22 AM
AbandonedBronco
Same here. Not sure if you remember me mentioning that earlier. That was one thing I thought was strange about the 1848. The throttle linkage is bare bones. Normally, they have about 10 different holes and connection points.
I, too, hooked the return spring around the throttle ball/stud. It works really well, so I'm not complaining, but it would have been nice to keep the standard Holley setup that I had.

There's pictures of my return spring setup on the first page or two.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work! A buddy of mine has a 465 waiting for me and I was going to try it on my 390. I'm glad you like yours, my friend sure liked his. He had one on a 390 and it ran great and pulled HARD. He was telling me that back in the 70's ford sold Holley 465's over the counter, if you went in and asked for a 4bbl, that's what you got. They work real well for lower RPM motors.

That lever on the float bowl is emissions related, I just can't remember what it's for exactly. I'll ask my buddy, he'll know.

As far as carb collectors go, I think you guys are just getting started, I've got another friend who has at least 100 and that's just Holleys!

Sam

Old 03-15-2015, 05:26 PM
AbandonedBronco
That's interesting about the 465 being more or less the regular carb back in the day. I didn't know that. With the 600s being the dime a dozen model, I would have just figured it was that one.

I imagine the 465 would work great on a 390. You wouldn't have a big, full top end, but in a truck motor, it'd give you some great low end torque. That's fun. Heck, they came with 2bbls that were equivalently 350 cfm, so it's still an improvement!

I'll be curious what your buddy says about the flapper. I figured it was some emissions thing, but it's strange that none others have it.
The 465 is still for sale on Holley's website, and it still has the flapper, but none of the other carbs on there do.

Hehe, yeah, I've been out to some guys' garages where they have a whole wall dedicated to carburetors. I think since my collection is only for one engine, I'll keep it in the single digits. At least for now.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:44 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I read on Mustangtek that it has been around since the late 1950's. It was the replacement carb, along with the 450 cfm, for the Autolite 4100, 480 cfm.

Thanks for pointing that out about the return spring info at the beginning of the thread. I had not read that. It was before I joined the club, so I skimmed the photos only. I see on ebay for $23 there is a trick throttle cable/spring bracket, postage paid, so maybe I will rig one up or buy that one on ebay. Thanks for the ideas.

I think it has been since '90 or '91 since I had a Holley on any vehicle.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Rusty_Old_F250
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would've thought the 600 would've been the go to carb back in the day too, guess not though. Ford must've known what they were doing!

I've always wondered what a tripower setup would do for gas mileage,
so if tuning just one carb ever get's boring I can set you up, I've got a whole box of carter industrial 1bbls off 300's.

Sam

Old 03-16-2015, 10:49 AM
AbandonedBronco
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qf...yO8aAgDe8P8HAQ

This is the one I'm thinking of getting. It seems like a nice setup, and is designed to work with the ball/stud.

Three? Why not go for six? =P

I can't imagine tuning more than one carb at a time, but it seems like it'd be a fun challenge.

I would think it'd be ideal to have a three carb setup and tune each one for a different part of the power band. At cruise, only one carb is even open, and have it as lean as you can go without negatively affecting the engine. Then, tune the others progressively richer.

I may need a third 300 to play with.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:08 PM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
I think the 3x2v or 6x1v would be the ultimate set up.

I really like how that spring attaches to the ball/stud, but I have had the one bolt type bracket pivot and loosen on the carb bolt. I could not get it to stop moving, so, I would prefer this type, and would probably have to convert fab up a fender washer and drill holes to attach spring to stud.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOLLEY-4150-4160-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-THROTTLE-CABLE-CARB-BRACKET-CARBURETOR-350-/130823372709?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e75ae3fa5&vxp=mtr
It holds both cable and springs and is clean, won't move. I would change the spring to the one inside the other, and, as said, use a fender washer over the stud/ball to attach. Yesterday these were all over ebay for $23 shipped! He who hesitates pays more.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:27 PM
AbandonedBronco
I've seen that style before, and yeah $23 was a good deal! I wonder why it changed so quickly.

Seems like it'd be a nice setup since it hooks to the mounting studs, which are always going to be there.

My current setup (the Lokar) is meant for a square edged carb, but the 1848 has the round corners, so it's only held straight by the nut. I might look into that bracket you posted up if my current one gives me trouble.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Harte3
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the Lokar from the very start with no problems with the bracket shifting on my 465.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:43 PM
AbandonedBronco
I didn't think it would. It seems way more solid than you think it would be with out the square edge to brace against.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:17 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty_Old_F250

I've always wondered what a tripower setup would do for gas mileage,
so if tuning just one carb ever get's boring I can set you up, I've got a whole box of carter industrial 1bbls off 300's.

Sam
I don't know what 3-2V's will do for mileage but I'm planning on running 3 Autolite 2100 1.02 2V's, with a synchronized linkage, in my 54 F100 project.

Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco

Three? Why not go for six? =P

I can't imagine tuning more than one carb at a time, but it seems like it'd be a fun challenge.

I would think it'd be ideal to have a three carb setup and tune each one for a different part of the power band. At cruise, only one carb is even open, and have it as lean as you can go without negatively affecting the engine. Then, tune the others progressively richer.

I may need a third 300 to play with.

None of those intakes are actually 6-1V intakes. The top two intakes are for Weber Side draft and Down draft carbs. I use to have one of the Weber DCOE intake set ups many years ago. They sure do look purty.

Here's a some pics of those set ups ( not mine ) .

Down draft:

Side draft:

I think 3-2V's with a synchronized linkage is the best way to go. And if you want to go even better, set it up so it's one butterfly per cylinder ( like the Weber set ups above ) . You can't get a much better air/fuel distribution without going multiport EFI. Plus it's that much funner trying to get everything sync'd up.

You can never have too many big 6's to mess with!! I've got a whole collection of 240's and 300's just waiting to be built.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:36 PM
AbandonedBronco
I had no clue on the intakes, aside from what they look like. Just some pictures I've collected over the years.

Heh, those setups look like they could be really a lot of fun...
I wonder how they'd do off-road, and in a big truck.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:50 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by AbandonedBronco
I had no clue on the intakes, aside from what they look like. Just some pictures I've collected over the years.

Heh, those setups look like they could be really a lot of fun...
I wonder how they'd do off-road, and in a big truck.

I've owned two of the four intakes in that picture you posted. I had the side draft Weber one and a few of the dual carb intakes ( wish I would have kept one ) . Now I'm saving my pennies to buy another dual carb one for my E350.

They are a cool set up and it's hard to beat them for performance ( other then efi ) . But they are fun to tune and they aren't cheap! But you can set them up to do just about anything you want them to. It's been over a decade since I did anything with the Weber's. I believe they required some modifications for off-road use but it is doable. A Bronco with a 300 and triple Weber's sound good to me!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switching to a Holley 1848 465cfm.