1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie w/ ?? On towing/programmers etc...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Gypsy Traveler
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie w/ ?? On towing/programmers etc...

Hi everyone!I'm new to your forums but not new to Ford trucks. My hubby had a 2001 F250 diesel and I had a 2003 F150 that was my show truck that I traveled with for years.

Right now we have a Tacoma we want to trade in for a 2015 F250 XLT,4x4 super cab, gas. We are selling the house to full time RV with a 5th wheel of 12500 weight.

We don't want a diesel because of fuel costs, maintenance and noise. (We had a diesel before).
This will be the setup on the F250.....4.30 gears, Firestone 2550 air bag system installed with on board compressor. The truck will have a heavy duty alternator, camper package, 5th wheel prep and so on.....

I was thinking of also getting a programmer for it. I'm familiar with Superchips as I had one on my old F150 but I see lots of new ones on the market.

What I'd like from you guys is some advice. Programmer? Other options I may need for towing?
Thanks in Advance!!

Old 01-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
First, I suspect you need to re-evaluate what size truck you need to pull a 5'r that heavy.

If you don't have a copy from your local dealer, you can use this to get a better idea of what your vehicle requirements will be.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...TTgde_Jan8.pdf

The newer diesels are not noisy as your grampa's diesels were. Go to your local dealer and test drive one. As far as maintenance, yes, it will cost more, but you will also be able to tow the 5'r you are contemplating with less strain that with the gasser.

There are a few options the diesel has that the gasser does. Your wife will like the rapid heat option only available on a diesel. Another option such as dual alternators.

Also, find an RV forum to go ask questions about the tow vehicle or the trailer you are thinking about buying. I visit the KeystoneRV forum since I have an older Keystone 5'r.

Keystone RV Forums

JMHO is all. Research and test drive some different trucks before buying. Let wifey drive it also.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Received 3,339 Likes on 1,763 Posts
I have a 2012 F250 6.7 CC LB that I will sell you that will pull rings around a gas motor 2015 and cost less than half what that new truck will cost you, and get better fuel economy which will offset the cost of the fuel. And it's all ready to go, completely set up to tow whatever trailer you want, 5th wheel, gooseneck or bumper pull, all hitches included, hookup and go.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too think you should consider a heavier tow vehicle (F350/F450). You don't want to come up short on carry capacity.

Power capacity? My current V10 will eventually be replaced with a diesel. More money all the way around, but also a better fit for your intended use.

Final thoughts, there are many who would suggest you go with duallys. Personally I'm undecided.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Army RET
I too think you should consider a heavier tow vehicle (F350/F450). You don't want to come up short on carry capacity.

Power capacity? My current V10 will eventually be replaced with a diesel. More money all the way around, but also a better fit for your intended use.

Final thoughts, there are many who would suggest you go with duallys. Personally I'm undecided.
Well, for a 12,500 lb 5'er, you don't need more than a F250, more than enough truck for that trailer or even larger. I tow heavier than that all the time.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
I suggested the heavier truck not based on their trailer weight but because they're intending to be full time RVrs. That means everything they own will be with them - and they'll add pounds quickly; and/or they may one day find themselves upgrading the trailer. Pre-planning for "what ifs". At this point the price difference is small.

What are your thoughts on a diesel? Dually? I imagine crossing over the Rockies and travelling across open windy plains they would find these things of importance.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Ltngdrvr
Lead Driver
You can see in my signature pic that big son-of-a-gun Montana that I have towed, and ones like it, 16K GVWR, and I would have no misgivings about towing it anywhere with my F250.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:29 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
I'm not suggesting it can't be dragged down the road (a 10 year old Ford Ranger could physically pull it), just giving thought to how fast cargo adds up.

In your case the pin weight should be 4000 pounds. Add in fuel and two occupants that's (estimated) 4500 pounds of your allowable cargo eaten up.

The original posters pin weight should be about 3100 pounds (25% of the 12500 pounds), plus fuel and occupants, so about 3600 pounds. Add in all their possessions (full timers) and it will go up quickly.

Having not yet purchased a TV, I'd suggest spending the extra $1000 on a F350; typically gaining an additional 1000# (or more) cargo capacity.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Welcome to FTE Gypsy....

What the others have said is true about the new diesels... Very low noise and stronger than a two year old bull... What noise you will have with a rig that heavy and a gasser is that 6.2 screaming at the top of its lungs most of the time.
The rest of what you have to consider is that all manufacturers are questioning the legitimate use of the product when it failed under warranty. In other words, if you are dragging over the limit of the truck's "stickered" weight and you sneeze a transmission, you may well be on your own..
Full timing is a dream of mine some day - but the last thing I would want to do is to add the stress of worrying about my truck....

Old 01-25-2015, 09:09 AM
cold_beer839
Junior User
I have a 5.4L F250, but for what you are wanting to do, I'd definitely get a 6.7 PSD 4x4 dually. I'd rather have too much truck for towing that 5th wheeler all over the country, than barely enough.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 AM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have owned the 2013 6.2 and towed with it and hated the high RPM screaming, wife did too. I now have a 2014 6.7 and would never trade it for a gas engine again. The Diesel make towing an effortless experience, never have to worry about going fast down the hill in order to make it up the hill, just put it in drive and go.
I have suggested this to many people, I would choose your RV first, then choose enough truck to pull it. It would be a dually for me. I think you are going to be surprised how heavy the RV will be, you will want lots of storage, lots of water and waste tank capacity, maybe even triple slides, all these things add up quick.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:59 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
choose your RV first, then choose enough truck to pull it.

I think the problem comes from misunderstanding the words PULL IT. As I said earlier, a Ranger could physically pull it.

I would use the words CARRY IT as the truck should be equipped to do two things: pull x amount down the road and carry 25% of that weight on the truck as cargo (without going over the specified cargo AND pulling capabilities).

Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 PM
Husky44
Senior User
I've done quite a bit of towing with both gassers and (older) diesels. The new gassers pull very well. Sure they rev higher, but that's what they're designed to do. It's not a problem, and only really becomes noticeable when you're pulling steep grades... which isn't all that frequently, unless you plan on living in the Rockies.

I agree with the advice to pick your trailer, then pick your rig. Allow some room for growth, because no one tows at the tare weight.

There are several folks who full-time, or near full-time, with 6.2s on this forum; they post a lot on the 6.2 forum, so it might be better to talk to some of them there.

Having driven both, I'd prefer the gasser. Not to slam on the diesels, but that's my preference.

Having towed my last 5th wheel with a similar chassis in both SRW and DRW, I'd offer that there is a noticeable advantage to DRW when it comes to stability. Downside is your tire bill increases. There are ways to enhance SRW stability, but they aren't quite as effective (IMHO) as being a foot wider.