Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at '95, F-150, engine won't turn over, Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 01:27 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Looking at '95, F-150, engine won't turn over, Need advice

I'm going to look at a 5.8, '95, F150, 4wd, Ext. Cab. Guy who is selling it says that they never got the engine to turn over. It was given to him and no idea other than it has a new PCM, ignition switch, new stainless exhaust and headers.

He even told his nephew that brought it to him to pull plugs and try a breaker bar with some penetrating oil in each cylinder, but they never did. He said that the oil is clean, and there isn't any coolant/water in the pan.

One question I have is, can I tow this back within 50 miles, under 50 mph, without having to drop the rear driveshaft? It just lessens my work until I get it back here. If not, then I will mark the location where it was originally bolted.

What, if anything else can you guys think of I should look at before making the deal? Its under $800 for everything. Has bucket seats and center console. Tires and engine bay look wonderful. Body has less rust than my d.d '92. Would under $800 sound reasonable? I believe it does. He also said that the exhaust work was $400+ and PCM was $266.

Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:53 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
You don't say what type of transmission it has. Even if it has an automatic transmission, as long as you can get the transfer case in neutral towing shouldn't be a problem with driveshaft connected.

How do plan to tow it, tow bar or rope? If you plan on rope and driver in towed truck, the towed truck probably won't have adequate brakes without the engine running.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Ahhh, I knew I forgot to add transmission type. Its E4OD. It will have to be towed slow with a driver. No toe bar.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:03 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
$800.00 is a good price.

Would you consider having a tow truck bring it for you? Especially if you are

going to flat tow it 50 miles.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:08 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
I would if I were located around more hills and highway traffic. Luckily, its all country back roads and some gravel.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:10 PM
88n94
Cargo Master
Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by timbersteel
It will have to be towed slow with a driver. No toe bar.
Even if the brakes are in decent working condition from not sitting too long, I'm not sure how well they will work without the engine running, being equipped with power brakes. Don't forget to check that out before pulling it at any speed down the road.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:15 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Will definitely keep it in mind. I've done 20 miles slow, but engine was running. Thanks for keeping me up on the power brakes dilemma.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:29 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Will definitely keep it in mind. I've done 20 miles slow, but engine was running. Thanks for keeping me up on the power brakes dilemma.
The Titanic was NOT supposed to sink either.

EDIT: Crap happens - Keep it safe.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:33 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
If the truck's overall condition is half as described it is a great deal IMHO as long as you have space to fix it or part it out.

Rent or find a way to trailer that rig.....

Old 01-24-2015, 05:25 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Buy it.

As for rope/chain towing... I've been both the guy pulling the the guy being towed. Being towed without a running engine ain't bad if y'all communicate ahead of time each time you plan to stop, for example have the guy in the towing truck give you a hand signal before stopping.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Ok guys, here's the skinny!

Went and looked at the truck. It's not bad. Usual rust. Crank won't budge, in either direction. Also, looks like they did some damaged to the crank pulley, with something to dent the bottom, 2 small places..weird.

Pulled the dipstick, there isn't any water or coolant in the pan, oil is dark, so it wasn't changed recently. Radiator shows sign of rust, with no visible coolant other than maybe half in the radiator.

Saw receipts for exhaust work, $408, and $266 for PCM. Also looks like someone changed the stator in the dizzy, but dizzy, looks OEM. The old stator was in the back seat. Everything works with key on. 212,XXX miles. Column shifter is loose, doesn't correspond on dash, but can shift transmission. Busted plastic door handle on driver door, broke lens on passenger side brake light.

Tires have good tread, nice factory aluminum rims, not steel type. WARN locking hubs. All pulleys, AC, Smog, Power Steering turn freely. New alternator.

I may remember more later.....

BUT...In the meantime, any ideas as to why this thing would just completely lock up. Im lost as even the guy said all they were doing was ignition work and finally when they got it done, it wouldn't budge. They spent lots of $$$, and now it's just a boat anchor of an engine.

Thank again everyone for advice and suggestions!!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Just wanted to bump this.

Still unsure what would lock the engine up. Could transmission have something to do with it? I went through all the gears. I'm thinking hydrolocked from fuel. Anyone want to throw me some more ideas?

Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts

Still unsure what would lock the engine up. Could transmission have something to do with it? I went through all the gears. I'm thinking hydrolocked from fuel. Anyone want to throw me some more ideas?
No oil or someone forgot to put the oil pump drive shaft back in when they changed the distributor. You might as well consider the engine a loss at this point.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:13 AM
MI02SVT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine probably junk but for 800 it's really not that expensive for a rebuild I would say after its all said and done you'd be in the truck for 2500 fixing the other issues also if you do the work yourself

Old 01-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Hydrolock typically won't keep the engine from moving at all in either directuion. That would require two cylinders being absolutely full of liquid, one on the compression strole (to keep it from turning forward), one on the power stroke (to keep it from turning back). I'd rule out that possibility.

Auto trannies shouldn't ever lock an engine, but I suppose of the torque converter clutch is locked and the trans was stuck in gear that would be the result. But those are both unusual failure modes, so I doubt that as well.

I guess I'm not sure what would happen in the torque converter clutch was locked with the trans in park. Still would be a pretty unusual situation though.

So overall I'd guess assume that the engine is toast. Buy it as a parts truck if it's worth it to you and take it as a pleasant surprise if the engine turns out to be salvagable

Quick Reply: Looking at '95, F-150, engine won't turn over, Need advice