Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any difference between a standard box and a dually?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:08 PM
jerry65
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any difference between a standard box and a dually?

Hi folks, new to this site and I've searched and read to no avail so please dont flame if this question has been addressed elsewhere. I have a new to me 1992 F-350 dually. Low miles and in fantastic shape except for the box floor. I bought this to haul my boat and occasional dump runs etc.. Its not my daily driver. Given the work involved in welding in new metal for the box floor/bed floor and the associated costs I was looking at simply replacing the box. I've seen plenty of 8 ft standard boxes for sale at reasonable prices but very few dually boxes. Is it possible to use a standard box and simply fasten the dually wheel flares? Is there any difference other than the wheel flares? This is a occasional work truck and I dont want to sink a lot of cash into it. I just want to get it through a safety here in Ontario and haul my boat a couple times a year. I have a 32 ft cabin cruiser so I needed a big girl to haul it with. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aftermarket conversions took the standard box and stuck flares on it, with indifferent success. The stock dually bed is *very* different.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:36 PM
jerry65
New User
Originally Posted by Spktyr
Aftermarket conversions took the standard box and stuck flares on it, with indifferent success. The stock dually bed is *very* different.
Thanks for the reply. Could you elaborate please? I'm looking to replace the box and need to know if the standard box will fit or if I need to hunt down a dually box. I've searched for bed panels for the box floor but havent found anything viable. Thanks again for the reply. Cheers.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:56 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
DieselBrad converted a single rear wheel short bed to a dually. He's got a build thread on the entire truck, but the bed conversion starts about page 3 of the thread. You can take a look at what he did. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...b-build-3.html

By the way, if you're new here and aren't familiar with Brad, he is VERY thorough. You might not want to exactly copy everything he does, because it'll be a lot of work. But you'll probably have a much better truck in the end if you do.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM
jerry65
New User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
DieselBrad converted a single rear wheel short bed to a dually. He's got a build thread on the entire truck, but the bed conversion starts about page 3 of the thread. You can take a look at what he did. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...b-build-3.html

By the way, if you're new here and aren't familiar with Brad, he is VERY thorough. You might not want to exactly copy everything he does, because it'll be a lot of work. But you'll probably have a much better truck in the end if you do.
Thanks but thats the opposite of what I want to do. Impressive build though. He took a standard and made it into a dually. I want to know if I can use a standard bed on a dually truck. He has the resources, equipment and apparently the time and money. Unfortunately that is not the case for me at present. My truck is in decent shape except for the bed floor. Its toast. More hole than metal LOL. The cross members look okay but the cost of welding new metal in is negated by the cost of just replacing and repainting the whole box. I guess a simple answer is not to be had. No offense but all I really need to know is can I use a standard box on a dually and just swap the flares to the standard box? Or conversely would I be better off to hold out until I can source a real dually box? Thanks again though, that truck of brads looks sweet! I dont want to reinvent the wheel, I just want to replace the box. Cheers

Old 01-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jerry65
Thanks but thats the opposite of what I want to do. Impressive build though. He took a standard and made it into a dually. I want to know if I can use a standard bed on a dually truck.
Same thing. He used a standard bed on a dually truck. It so happens that the standard bed is the original bed from the truck before it was a dually truck. But as far as what he did to the bed it's exactly what you are asking about (although obviously you won't need to do all of the other axle mods etc since your truck is already a dually).

Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 PM
jerry65
New User
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
Same thing. He used a standard bed on a dually truck. It so happens that the standard bed is the original bed from the truck before it was a dually truck. But as far as what he did to the bed it's exactly what you are asking about (although obviously you won't need to do all of the other axle mods etc since your truck is already a dually).
Yes but he made a dually out of a standard frame. A dually frame to my limited knowledge is wider than standard or maybe vice versa? I'm just wondering if the wheel wells are different on spacing etc.. The length of the box etc.. How big a project it is to do or if I'm simply further off waiting to find a dually box? One poster said there are significant differences between the two but has yet to elaborate. What I'm looking for is a simple swap without a lot of custom work. I'm okay with drilling a few holes to accommodate the flares but I really need to know what else will be involved. Surely someone in the community has faced a similar dilemma? I appreciate your input so dont get me wrong but a straight forward answer from someone who has actually been in the same boat seems to be unattainable. He has still made a dually out of a standard with modifications and after market parts,kits,spacers. Perhaps I`m not expressing my concerns properly. If so my apologies. If I`m missing something that has not been previously addressed please forgive my ignorance.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Yes but he made a dually out of a standard frame. A dually frame to my limited knowledge is wider than standard or maybe vice versa? I'm just wondering if the wheel wells are different on spacing etc.. The length of the box etc.. How big a project it is to do or if I'm simply further off waiting to find a dually box? One poster said there are significant differences between the two but has yet to elaborate. What I'm looking for is a simple swap without a lot of custom work. I'm okay with drilling a few holes to accommodate the flares but I really need to know what else will be involved. Surely someone in the community has faced a similar dilemma? I appreciate your input so dont get me wrong but a straight forward answer from someone who has actually been in the same boat seems to be unattainable. He has still made a dually out of a standard with modifications and after market parts,kits,spacers. Perhaps I`m not expressing my concerns properly. If so my apologies. If I`m missing something that has not been previously addressed please forgive my ignorance.
A dually PICKUP is the same frame a single wheel.

As for the dually bed from a single wheel bed. YES, they are different. But they are both 8' long, both have the wheel wells located in the same locations, both use the same tailgate, bedlinen, etc.

the difference is the outer bedskin. The dually outer bed skin is designed is such a way to accept the Factory dually fenders. It also has a structure built into it to support the fender. If you go to the thread that Nothing Special linked to, you will see the differences clear as day

Old 01-24-2015, 07:05 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
sounds like you just need to junk the old bed and find yourself a used flatbed or build a wooded one to bolt down to her Jerry.she hasn't got to look pretty taking out the trash or get ya to the fishing hole.
heres some basics;

check the laws,but i think you can go to a max width of 8'6" the flatbeds you see on most trucks like both of mine are 8' wide.so don't get carried away.just cover the duals and your good to go.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:51 PM
jerry65
New User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
A dually PICKUP is the same frame a single wheel.

As for the dually bed from a single wheel bed. YES, they are different. But they are both 8' long, both have the wheel wells located in the same locations, both use the same tailgate, bedlinen, etc.

the difference is the outer bedskin. The dually outer bed skin is designed is such a way to accept the Factory dually fenders. It also has a structure built into it to support the fender. If you go to the thread that Nothing Special linked to, you will see the differences clear as day
Thanks Brad, that answers it perfectly. I did visit the thread on your build and I know about the supports for the flares. Like you said they are clear as day and I also notice you used adhesives instead of welding said supports. I have one question remaining... what did you use to cut the body metal with? It looks like you got a nice clean cut. Standard boxes are plentiful, dually boxes are apparently a rare find. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread and my education. Very much appreciated. I have a friend who does MiG welding and I'm sure if need be we can fab something Frankenstein from scavenging the existing box for parts. I'll try to post pics if we go this route. You guys are great and not one flame. Cheers!

Old 01-26-2015, 10:58 PM
jerry65
New User
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
sounds like you just need to junk the old bed and find yourself a used flatbed or build a wooded one to bolt down to her Jerry.she hasn't got to look pretty taking out the trash or get ya to the fishing hole.
heres some basics;
How to build a wooden bed for a Ford Ranger or a Mazda B2300 .wmv - YouTube

check the laws,but i think you can go to a max width of 8'6" the flatbeds you see on most trucks like both of mine are 8' wide.so don't get carried away.just cover the duals and your good to go.
I had been toying with the idea of doing just that. Thanks for the post and I must say thats one of the better looking flat beds I've seen so far. I truly appreciate everyone who contributed here. Thanks once again one and all. You guys are the best. Cheers.
P.S she is no fishing boat lol

Old 01-27-2015, 08:05 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Thanks Brad, that answers it perfectly. I did visit the thread on your build and I know about the supports for the flares. Like you said they are clear as day and I also notice you used adhesives instead of welding said supports. I have one question remaining... what did you use to cut the body metal with? It looks like you got a nice clean cut. Standard boxes are plentiful, dually boxes are apparently a rare find. Thanks again to all who have contributed to this thread and my education. Very much appreciated. I have a friend who does MiG welding and I'm sure if need be we can fab something Frankenstein from scavenging the existing box for parts. I'll try to post pics if we go this route. You guys are great and not one flame. Cheers!
I used a jig saw and air body saw

Old 01-27-2015, 10:05 PM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
I've had several '92 -'97's. I currently own a '93 with duals. The boxes on the drw and srw are the same with the exception of the wide fenders on the drw setup. If you use a srw box you will most likely have to cut out the wheel openings to go over the tires before you hang your fenders on the new box.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:55 PM
jerry65
New User
Originally Posted by Trail_Rider
I've had several '92 -'97's. I currently own a '93 with duals. The boxes on the drw and srw are the same with the exception of the wide fenders on the drw setup. If you use a srw box you will most likely have to cut out the wheel openings to go over the tires before you hang your fenders on the new box.
Thanks. Cheers!

Old 01-28-2015, 04:00 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Trail_Rider

Don't forget the outer bed signs are COMPLETELY different to accept the dually fender. You canNOT just bolt a dually to a SRW bed. Also a Factory dually fender attaches different than a conversion dually fender

Quick Reply: Any difference between a standard box and a dually?