1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Windshield leak, repair myself or professionally?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield leak, repair myself or professionally?

I noticed my 3 week old Bronco is leaking at the seal, very top, behind the plastic panel/visor area. Do I get the right tools, clean the old material out thoroughly, repair myself or let a professional do the work?

I was quoted $100 by a recommended local shop. He could not guarantee not to break the glass (as if anyone could), $175 is so. I am more concerned they may not take the time to properly clean out the old sealant, or make me aware of any rust so I can address it immediately.

I see LMC offers the proper tools, I have the factory manuals, I have the patience and steady hands. I think I would feel better repairing it myself to insure it's done properly.

Any tips, heads up, what to look for etc?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Good luck taking out a windshield and NOT braking it. The glass guys remove glass all the time and cannot guarantee it will not brake for a reason.

Do yourself a favor and just have a new windshield put in for $225-250

Old 01-23-2015, 03:35 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Good luck taking out a windshield and NOT braking it. The glass guys remove glass all the time and cannot guarantee it will not brake for a reason.

Do yourself a favor and just have a new windshield put in for $225-250
I was afraid of that. All of this technology and advancement, we can't figure out a way to not break glass. Such a shame as it appears original and is near flawless. Carlite, same as all the other glass. Not even one rock knick.

Thanks for the reply,

Spence

Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM
FilmCarp
Senior User
I'll bet you will be stunned by the clarity of a new windshield. Sand, debris, everything abrades the surface over time. Even with no nicks and chips, a windshield should be replaced every few years. I just had mine done for less than 200 bucks in NYC and it is amazing.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by oblivionnewtonjohn
I was afraid of that. All of this technology and advancement, we can't figure out a way to not break glass. Such a shame as it appears original and is near flawless. Carlite, same as all the other glass. Not even one rock knick.

Thanks for the reply,

Spence
FAR from flawless if it is 30 years old. You would be surprised what a new windshield would do.

I have a new windshield put in my truck every 3 years for my daily driver. They just get so sandblasted

Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I agree that new windshields are NICE!

But I can also understand wanting to keep an OEM Carlite variant... might go Googling around on cleaning up the area and sealing the edges using some sort of urethane windshield sealant (3M makes it as do others). It's a sub-optimal procedure but you may be able to get by for a while with it...

Old 01-23-2015, 05:44 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
BTW you can still get a FORD windshield

Old 01-23-2015, 06:37 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
I was wrong, not Carlite. That's why it doesn't look weathered, it appears brand new, PPG.
My guess is it's recently been replaced, installer did a crap job. Calling PO now to see if they had it installed, and where.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:50 PM
Golden_F100
Junior User
It sounds like you are in the same predicament that I was in a week ago. The windshield that was in my truck last week was installed in '99 by some shady shop in southern California. We did not know that the sealant that they used did not adhere properly to the windshield because it never rains in southern California It was not until I stationed in NC for the army that I started to notice that the windshield leaked. Let me tell you, I thought about doing it myself, I thought about having a shop just replace the seal, but in the end I hit the last straw when it was raining so hard my truck was like the house from overboard, if you have seen that movie. I had towels placed all over the cab catching water dripping all over the place, towels jammed into the dash to keep the water splash hitting me in the face from the defroster on full blast. That was the last straw, I called around and found a shop that took my old glass out, mentioned that I am lucky i did not have rust, because if there was rust they would not give me a lifetime seal warranty, painted the area under the chrome to prevent future rust, and put a nice seal and NEW windshield. It cost me a total of $215 and like everyone else is saying, the clarity is AMAZING and I have piece of mind knowing that I NEVER have to worry about it leaking again, because if it does, I get it fixed under warranty. Just get the windshield replaced bud, it is money well spent in the end.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
I agree with the others in way. If you are going to pay someone to fix it, get a new windshield. I will say though, I have had new windshields put in other cars, and the quality of the new ones like everything else now, can be spotty. I have had several that have wavy areas or flaws in them.

But what I would do first is give it the do-it-yourself try. You won't lose anything but your time. Pull the chrome off, clean all the dirt up around the glass, and put a small bead of sealer around the outside edge. Then see what happens. If it fixes it you can pat yourself on the back, you saved some money. If it doesn't fix it, then continue on with plan B and schedule to get a new one.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Jerry's red Ford
Freshman User
Mine starting leaking so I removed the outside trim and carefully removed all the sealer without touching the glass with the tool. I then removed the inside trim and did the same operation. Purchase a "windshield sealant" and carefully tape off all around the glass. Use only the amount to make a small bead next to the glass. If you have rust, thats another problem. The sealant will not stick. Mine sealed great and I live in Seattle and the truck is outdoor all the time. You can do it, if you take your time. It rains here, you know!!!!!

Jerry R - Edgewood, Washington

Old 01-23-2015, 10:48 PM
oblivionnewtonjohn
Junior User
That very well may be the case, and it's a shame. I looked further at the glass, it looks to be brand spanking new, like recently done. The black sealant looks new, awaiting a callback from the PO to confirm/dismiss this. If has recently been replaced, fingers crossed I get lucky, it's one of the big name shops that warranty their work, I'll have the PO take it back to be corrected.

Worst case, I will be spending a few hundred dollars. Maybe one of the local shops can save it.