Sponsored by: Moser

'79 F-100 Short Bed 351W Build ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 03:21 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'79 F-100 Short Bed 351W Build ??

Hello and thank you for taking the time to look at my question. I have beentrolling around the forums for days trying to read and absorb as muchinformation as I can. I am very impressed by the wealth of knowledge and thewillingness to help. I’m sure that I have read the answer to my questions manytimes over. I’m just not sure I comprehended the answer. So at the risk ofasking an old question I will pose my questions to you and ask for yourforgiveness.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

I want to build a 351W for my ’79 F100 short bed 2WD. Mygoal is to achieve the highest performance possible for a pump gas streetabletruck without spending more than a couple $K. I wont be driving the truck daily. but would like it reliable.

WHAT I HAVE:<o></o>

Currently I have a mid 80’s 351W that came from the localsalvage yard. I have not determined the heads. But was told the block was stockand in working order. It has a Torker II intake. I also have a mid 80’s AODtransmission I would like your opinion if I ran a lower gear in the rear end.<o></o>

WHAT IM THINKING:<o></o>

I have read that I can build a 357 all stock lower end, goodheads, intake, carb and headers to achieve a 400-450HP/450+TQ engine.<o></o>

MY QUESTIONS SPECIFICLLY (plus any advice is welcomeconcerning anything about the project):<o></o>

Can I achieve good performance from the Torker II intake?Ive read many mixed opinions about this intake. However it would help keep thecost down if I can build with it. Then I could put more money somewhere else.<o></o>

Please recommend what you would build this engine with.<o></o>

Would anyone discourage me from using the AOD? And what gearratio would be good to make the truck quick but still drive it to work?<o></o>

As the thread builds I’m sure I will have more questions,but thank you in advance.<o></o>

Old 01-23-2015, 03:53 PM
51M1
Senior User
This might give you some ideas.

Twin Ford 351 Builds Pt.1 | HorsePower | PowerBlockTV - Full Episodes

Sorry bout the ads. They werent there last time I looked.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The AOD may be a love it or hate it thing but I've got a couple that are built and pretty stout. Just food for thought, I wouldn't be afraid to run one providing you put a kit and good converter in it.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:18 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

The Torker II is a single-plane, open plenum manifold. Edelbrock states it is designed for a 2500-6500 RPM range. I prefer torque on the street rather than peak HP at let's say, 5000 RPM. A dual plane, four-hole design like the Performer or Performer RPM is better suited for these trucks IMO.

AOD.. go for it. An extra gear is a good thing. I would aim for rear gears between 3.70 and 3.90 or even a 4.10.

Me? I prefer a man pedal and five gears.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking truck. The torker is not the best choice as stated above for your truck. Works great in upper rpms. But you would be better suited with a dual plane of some type. Also dont go crazy when choosing your cam. Nice lopey cams sound great in the mall parking lot but arent really what you need in a 2.5 ton truck.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Jchet729
Laughing Gas
Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver

Me? I prefer a man pedal

We need a like button.!

Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 51M1
This might give you some ideas.

Twin Ford 351 Builds Pt.1 | HorsePower | PowerBlockTV - Full Episodes

Sorry bout the ads. They werent there last time I looked.
Thank you. As a product of my generation sometimes I learn better with the audio/visual. I'm sure I'll watch these thru again a time or two.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:15 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jchet729
The AOD may be a love it or hate it thing but I've got a couple that are built and pretty stout. Just food for thought, I wouldn't be afraid to run one providing you put a kit and good converter in it.
Jchet729, I was hoping to hear that. Can you recommend a good kit for a budget? Also what converter would you run? I've never had or driven a stall. I may be a little shy for one. ?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:23 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Welcome to FTE.

The Torker II is a single-plane, open plenum manifold. Edelbrock states it is designed for a 2500-6500 RPM range. I prefer torque on the street rather than peak HP at let's say, 5000 RPM. A dual plane, four-hole design like the Performer or Performer RPM is better suited for these trucks IMO.

AOD.. go for it. An extra gear is a good thing. I would aim for rear gears between 3.70 and 3.90 or even a 4.10.

Me? I prefer a man pedal and five gears.

HIO Silver, I really was afraid of that. I knew it was coming and really appreciate your honest. What would be the perfect intake? If I'm gonna bust the budget I might as well get the best. Many places I've read really call on the Victor Jr.

And don't be surprised if you're on Facebook some day and see that Man Pedal pic. I like it.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:27 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
Nice looking truck. The torker is not the best choice as stated above for your truck. Works great in upper rpms. But you would be better suited with a dual plane of some type. Also dont go crazy when choosing your cam. Nice lopey cams sound great in the mall parking lot but arent really what you need in a 2.5 ton truck.
Gatorfor88, what would be a low cost Cam, head, intake combo? I'm kinda over my big lope phase. Back in the 80's I had a 83 5.0 that all I seemed to do was work on it just so it would run long enough to impress with a lope. :-)

Old 01-23-2015, 11:29 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
If you guys were going to spend $2k on a set of heads, intake, cam and carb to fit my purpose, what would you buy?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:07 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by opfor_gunner
Gatorfor88, what would be a low cost Cam, head, intake combo? I'm kinda over my big lope phase. Back in the 80's I had a 83 5.0 that all I seemed to do was work on it just so it would run long enough to impress with a lope. :-)
Originally Posted by opfor_gunner
If you guys were going to spend $2k on a set of heads, intake, cam and carb to fit my purpose, what would you buy?
Those guys recommending a Victor Jr. have "race" in their brains. You've got a truck and a heavy one at that which needs to get off the line - that's where torque comes in.

As far as a combo, consider Edelbrock Performer RPM Power Package 2092... but you supply the carb.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2092

**Man Pedal, a five-speed, and a Hurst shifter**

Old 01-24-2015, 06:14 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We need a like button.!
There is sort of a like button, top right corner of every post is a balance scale. Click on it to add to someones reputation.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:07 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
HIO Silver,

While checking out the Edelbrock top end kits I seen the next step up http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2090

I know I asked for a $2K option but would this do what I need in the F-100 but with more HP/TQ?

Old 01-25-2015, 10:22 PM
opfor_gunner
Freshman User
Jchet729,
I'm somewhat familiar with your part of the country. I grew up just west of Kirksville. Would you mind sharing info on who built your AOD's? I may consider talking to them about building one for me.

Quick Reply: '79 F-100 Short Bed 351W Build ??