Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recommendation for good aftermarket ball joints for F150

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 12:52 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need recommendation for good aftermarket ball joints for F150

I have 300,000 miles on my truck and it looks like the ball joints are
going. What is the best aftermarket brand I should get? I don't want chinese aftermarket stuff unless there is no alternative.

Also, I just got new tires so I want to replace the shocks. What kind do you recommend? I have no problem with Monroe, but was looking at Bilstein shocks.

What do you recommend?

Regards,
Larry

Old 01-23-2015, 01:28 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Motorcraft (Ford's aftermarket brand) or Moog. Dana/Spicer is also excellent, but can be hard to find.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:59 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
OK Sounds Great !

Originally Posted by Spktyr
Motorcraft (Ford's aftermarket brand) or Moog. Dana/Spicer is also excellent, but can be hard to find.
Looks like Moog and Dana Spicer make both shocks and ball joints.

Never heard of these guys before now.

Thanks,
Larry

Old 01-23-2015, 04:16 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Dana are the people that made your front axle (if you have a 4x4) - they don't get much better than that. Spicer is one of their more common alternate brands, as it were.

Moog is pretty much the top name for aftermarket suspension parts not from the OEM maker.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:44 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Another recommendation for Moog.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:30 AM
ponykilr
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Moog's quality has dropped to the point they are not the best like they once were. I did steering and suspension almost exclusively the last 15 years I was a tech and watched them go from the best to "what the heck". They are now made in China.

Use Raybestos (Spicer), NAPA Gold (Spicer), or Motorcraft if you want them to last.
Lots of posts all over the web about how Moog has dropped the ball.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:21 AM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ponykilr
Moog's quality has dropped to the point they are not the best like they once were. I did steering and suspension almost exclusively the last 15 years I was a tech and watched them go from the best to "what the heck". They are now made in China.

Use Raybestos (Spicer), NAPA Gold (Spicer), or Motorcraft if you want them to last.
Lots of posts all over the web about how Moog has dropped the ball.
The Moogs I bought to redo my suspension this past year were all made in the US, Canada or Mexico. Not China. Perhaps they got the message.

Either way, reject any brand suspension part made in China. Also, Raybestos switched suppliers again, they're using Chinese stuff a lot more and what isn't Chinese certainly isn't Spicer.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Moods quality is CRAP in the last 15 years.

They went with the cheaper quality to be "competitive" yet still are expensive for what you are getting.

I would go with the Spicer parts or XRF

Old 01-23-2015, 08:12 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Dana/Spicer is extremely easy to find. All you have to do is go to any Napa store and ask for their Napa Chassis Parts (NCP) line.
I rebuilt my whole front suspension and steering system on my Bronco last year. They're really good quality.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:05 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Whatever you get make sure it's greasable. Maybe all the aftermarket ones are, maybe not, but I always look for a grease zerk on them since I don't like non-serviceable things.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:30 AM
'89F2urd
Lead Driver
Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
at this point in time, youre wasting your money and effort by getting anything but spicer.

ive been down the moog road years ago and found it to be a waste of time. . .they were a solid viable option at one point but unfortunately, like many other U.S. manufacturing companies, they've succumb to the ole "cheapen up or close it down" disease thanks to the poor business environment we've allowed to fester for the last 30 years.

the sealed spicers are phenomenal in quality, and unless you push your parts through mud, are the best option in my experience.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Spice is made in what country

Originally Posted by '89F2urd
at this point in time, youre wasting your money and effort by getting anything but spicer.

ive been down the moog road years ago and found it to be a waste of time. . .they were a solid viable option at one point but unfortunately, like many other U.S. manufacturing companies, they've succumb to the ole "cheapen up or close it down" disease thanks to the poor business environment we've allowed to fester for the last 30 years.

the sealed spicers are phenomenal in quality, and unless you push your parts through mud, are the best option in my experience.
So where are the Spicer joints made?

Edit: I just read from the messages: Spicer is made in the US.

Regards,
Larry

Old 01-23-2015, 10:28 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Dana are the people that made your front axle (if you have a 4x4) - they don't get much better than that. Spicer is one of their more common alternate brands, as it were.

Moog is pretty much the top name for aftermarket suspension parts not from the OEM maker.
Yeah, great! I have a heavy duty Dana front end. So that's good news.

Are the Bilstein shocks going to be too much shock for my truck. I don't do much off-roading?

Thanks for all your replies people. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Larry

Old 01-23-2015, 10:36 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
You're right, Spktry !

The Moogs I bought to redo my suspension this past year were all made in the US, Canada or Mexico. Not China. Perhaps they got the message.

Either way, reject any brand suspension part made in China. Also, Raybestos switched suppliers again, they're using Chinese stuff a lot more and what isn't Chinese certainly isn't Spicer.
I reject any parts made in China or Mexiho. I know there are real European/American companies that can easily top anything China makes. Why support these countries anyway.

That's our government's job

Regards,
Larry

Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 AM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Grease nipples

Originally Posted by dixie460
Whatever you get make sure it's greasable. Maybe all the aftermarket ones are, maybe not, but I always look for a grease zerk on them since I don't like non-serviceable things.
Yeah, I don't know what I would do with all that extra time not crawling under my truck with grease gun in hand. Seriously, I like knowing there is grease in those fittings so I want a zirk.

Regards,
Larry

Quick Reply: Need recommendation for good aftermarket ball joints for F150