Sponsored by: Moser

Do I have a bone to pick w/ the Previous Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Johnny Be Cool
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I have a bone to pick w/ the Previous Owner

Before you say anything, I know what your gonna say because I would say the same thing. Never buy vehicle w/o first looking at it. I found this truck on Craigslist, some 6 hours away, I couldn't get out there and from talking to the PO and his wife numerous times, I felt that the elderly couple was pure as the salt of the earth, good American, honest hard working Farm Family.

After I had all my answers, I paid via money order and had a transporter pick it up.

I purchased a 1974 F250 4x4, 4 speed, Dana 60 front and rear. PO states it was originally purchased by his Dad, it has 84000 original miles, the 360 blew back in 1977, so they installed a 390 from a 30000 salvage truck. The PO said the vehicle was just used on the Farm and the 390 is either a 1975 or 1977 and should only have 50000

The truck smokes light blue, the carb floods, oil is leaking from the dip stick, the water pump is leaking etc....

Well, I discover the 390 block, heads and intake are matching 1967, the exhaust manifolds are 1972.

Compression check is from 160 to 140.

I'm thinking, did the transporter switch motors. he was 2 days delayed because he broke a spring and had a blowout.

I was thinking of going back to the PO ask a few questions and suggest that he mislead me and to pay half the cost of the motor rebuild.

Now, don't rub my nose in this. I'm looking for some opinions and help.
Thank you

Old 01-22-2015, 06:21 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry it didn't work out like you hoped it would.
More than likely since you now have the truck and know the PO lied about a few things they probably will never answer your phone calls again.

DPorter
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your luck, but buyer beware. Paid your money now it needs what it needs.

I have just today purchased a rusty rotted 97 jeepTJ for y wife. I know it needs a tub body, tailgate and fenders. Anything else it needs when I tear down and rebuild is my problem now, not the previous owner.
It could need engine work or tranny or diffs or whatever, my problem now.

Best of luck with your choices.

tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
It's a old truck. If it wa me I'd just "let it go" and get on with life and take care of my 390. Easy to rebuild down the road.

You'll have a hard time proving anything now and the effort will just serve to keep you fired up and likely diminish your satisfaction with the truck. Whether 67 or 75, if it's a 390 it's a better deal than a 360. They may have told you as best they knew unless he swapped the motors, and even then he doesn't know that this motor was original in that last truck ..... it might have been swapped before.

You might politely inquire about the original 360, it can be made a 390 and it'd be the original block?

Old 01-22-2015, 06:37 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,297 Posts
I've been replying to your engine ID thread in the FE forum. I do not know why you are upset with the condition of this engine, given the seller's description. The quote you gave in that thread really indicates that the seller did not know the origin of the engine.

You would be no better off with a '75 or '77. Your compression numbers are good. Your oil problems are probably valve seals and/or blocked oil returns as per replies in the other threads. Low mile engines that sit and get short trips always gunk up.

A 1960s FE would have been an exception at 100,000 miles, as burned valves were still fairly common, and the wrong oil could cause lifter issues at low miles. A '75-'77 390 is a low compression engine with hardened valve seats, but it could also easily be gunked up, and would definitely have valve seal issues as well.

IMO a '67 390 with good compression numbers is a good bet for a mild upgrade and reseal.

No way the transporter changed engines. No one is that crazy.

Good luck with it.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:42 PM
weez440
Senior User
chalk it up as lesson learned, rebuild the 390 right and have peace of mind you have a good motor. i sold a snowcat a few years ago that i didn't look at for about 4 years and the kid looked it high and low and kept calling me over every little scratch that i didn't know about. finally i told him it didn't roll off the assembly line yesterday i gave you a good deal and that was it.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Blown 331
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there any reason you can just run it as is? Obviously after a water pump, reseal dipstick and carb adjustment / rebuild. Those items aren't too big of a deal.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Johnny Be Cool
Senior User
I knew that I would get these replies as I would have said the same thing. I went against my better judgement and for the first time in my life (52 yrs old) I purchased a vehicle w/o inspecting it. For some unknown reason I felt a good repor with the old timer.

A few years ago, I had a 28' Cabin Cruiser, sit for one year, so I sold it the next. I take very good care of all my Toys. The buyer came back and said that the out drive is got damaged from cold weather, he showed me the cost to repair and I confirmed the same with his mechanic. He asked If I'd split the cost and I did. I have a concense.

I'm gonna present the same to the PO and see what happens.

As for just driving it, it does blow blue smoke all the time and I bet being a 1967, the valve guides and seals are shot and if I replace them, more than likely I'll get blow by via the rings.

Yes, a hard lesson to swallow after giving the same advise to others for many years.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:32 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Don't be so hard on yourself or the PO.
That blue smoke deal may easily just be blocked returns at each end of the heads as stated above.
Mine and many others smoked like that until the returns were freed.
Concentrate your energy on making it go, now that you own it.
And the PO, hey Lotsa people just don't know.
That 67 block ain't so bad either.
Look at the good side of things.
You own a bad *** truck now. Run that baby.
And post some pics.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
2x with turbohunter...

There's only one way to go - Forward.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 PM
twofifty
Senior User
Did the previous owner still claim to drive it regularly?

It very well could have ran great when parked, but all bets are off even if it sat for a year for example.

If the engine blew in '77 and it was replaced back then, it has still been in there for 37 years and has 50,000 miles on it. A lot can happen in those years despite best intentions.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Johnny Be Cool
Senior User
I appreciate the kind words and understanding.

Your a great bunch of guys!

I'll keep ya posted as progress will continue in either fashion.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:32 AM
vtpkrat2
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
It is possible that after 40 years the original owner honestly believed the 390 was a '77 or so. I rebuilt the wrong starter a while back that I was sure came off my 302 motor only a few months ago.I found the one I really wanted to rebuild in another pile of stuff the other day. So,sometimes our old minds are playing a little trick or two on us. Gary

Old 01-23-2015, 09:38 AM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Bill (Number Dummy) always says this when someone quotes a seller's claims: "Do not believe a single word private sellers claim, as they lie just like used/new car dealers, lawyers, politicians and TV evangelists!"

I would be more inclined to go along with what Gary just said and believe the PO was just mixed up on the lore of this truck, confused on what really happened all those years ago.

If you do call the PO and tell him what you've discovered, it will be interesting to see what he says. But I wouldn't expect him to do anything but say he was mistaken.

Buying something sight-unseen is a crap-shoot, sometimes you win, most of the time you lose. I'm so sorry this has turned out this way for you.

David

Old 01-23-2015, 10:30 AM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what better excuse to track down a 70's 390 and do a rebuild and toss it in!

you claim motor is junk but how's the rest? rusted out or in damn good shape??

Quick Reply: Do I have a bone to pick w/ the Previous Owner