1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Truck won't let me add gas??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 11:50 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
I wonder if someone didn't pull a prank on you and put something in your gas tank. You have a ticked off EX? Neighborhood hoodlums? If you take the gas cap off and smell in there does it smell sweet? Like the old sugar in the gas tank trick?
2X taking the fuel hose off the bottom of the tank and see if it's free flowing or plugged.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:28 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok guys, here's the update.
Had me worried about the sugar in the tank thing, because where we live, that is a possibility. Didn't see any signs of it though. Looked down the gas tank to see for obstructions and don't see a problem there. Checked the fuel filter by the carb and that looks new and clean.

Had 2 different people check out the truck and have gotten replies running the gamut from points, to alternator, to carb. It seems like nobody knows what they're talking about!

I replaced the points with a pertronix ignitor electronic ignition (since this had been recommended to me several times in the past to get rid of the points system). Did this since it was cheap and easy, but still having problems.

Been shooting a music video with this truck, so haven't had time (also a bit apprehensive to do things that seem too complicated since I'm a novice and don't want to mess anything up) to go under the truck and remove the gas lines to check for plugs there.

Here's the latest in terms of problems.

#1. When I go to the gas station, I can only add max of 1 gallon of fuel. The pump will shut off simply. So I tried pulling back the black part of the pump and squirting the gas int the truck with just the tip of the nozzle pointed in the tank. After 1 gallon, it just seems to overflow (almost like a clogged sink). Not sure if it actually is full or not (again, I don't have a working gas gauge).

#2. When I try to start the truck in the morning it won't start. The starter sound fine, but I don't won't hear any of the sound of the spark igniting, unless I put the gas pedal all the way to the bottom of the floor. At this point it will start firing, ilk fit about to turn over, but most times it will not. After trying this for 5 min or so, the battery seems drained.
Then I will have my friend jump start the car. After about 5 - 10 min of charging, the car will start.

I will then let the truck idle for about 10 minutes minimum. Then I go to drive. Sometimes it runs totally fine. Other times, like yesterday when I was driving to the filming location, it starting running horribly. Like even with the gas pedal floored, it was driving about 5 miles per hour max. At this point the truck will usually stall. I will start it again and it will start, but not be running nicely. Then I will put it into drive, and the simple stress of this will be too much and the truck will die.
Then I will wait about 30 min. I will try to start it again and it will start up fine and sound like it's running great. I will press down the gas pedal and get high rpms and everything seems back to normal.
Then I will drive it and it will run fine for doubt 3 to 4 hours.
At this point, it will sound again like it's running on one cylinder and start to stall.
I will add gas to the tank from a gas can (just to be sure I have gas).
Then I will try to start it and it won't start. I will wait about 15 minutes and try again and it will start fine and drive fine.
Then I will leave it overnight, try again in the morning, it won't start and I will repeat the entire process again.

So this is what's been happening for the past 3 days. Again, I have a band, and we're using this truck for a video shoot, so haven't had the luxury of time to NOT have the truck get from point A to B, which luckily it's done and I haven't needed any tows from AAA.
But, obviously, there is a problem and this needs to be fixed. I'm in the process now of trying to find a mechanic that has some specialty with older vehicles like this, since most shops I take it to will just seem to be guessing at the problem. Do something that will have it temporarily start and they will say, ok sounds good now. Then the problems will commence all over again.
It's definitely frustrating, but also I'm eager to continue learning about how this all works and how to troubleshoot it, so I appreciate everyone's help.

What does my current set of symptoms sound like to you guys??
Between the gas tank pumping problem and the no start/stalling/bad running and loss of power? Do you think these things are connected or separate problems?

Here's a couple pix of my engine btw.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:30 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
Oh, here's a picture of the truck by the way!

Old 01-26-2015, 02:34 PM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
From your pic looks like coil is grounding out on the metal fuel line !

Old 01-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
It's hard to pin point things like this...I think it might be running too rich. Take the air cleaner off and move the choke lever back and forth, making sure the plate on the top of the carb is moving from horizontal to vertical. Horizontal is used for starting the engine cold, and it should end up vertical when the engine is warmed up. Checking this won't cost any money.

Engines that are too rich (getting to much gas) will run fine for a while and then bog down like you describe. They will then be hard to restart, and may need to have the accelerator pedal depresses all the way down to be restarted. Just because the carb was rebuilt recently doesn't mean that something may have gone wrong. The needle and seat may not be closing well, or the float level may be a little to high.

After it stalls take the spark plugs out, smell them and look at them. If they smell like raw gas then it is being very too rich, if they don't smell like raw gas but have a black soot on them it is still too rich. They should be clean with maybe a little bit of tan or white crusted on them. The center electrode should be clean and square tipped. Try a fresh set after it stalls and if it starts up easier with the fresh plugs it was probably flooded with too much gas.

I used to have a '66 that would run out at a half tank. Kind of confused me for a while since it wouldn't take much to fill it up. Then I looked inside the tank and saw that it was running out of gas with the tank still half full. The tube that runs down the inside of the tank,and connects to the external fuel line, had a hole in it about half way down.

Otherwise, it might be a shy truck and have a bit too much bling on the outside...just kidding

Old 01-26-2015, 03:04 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
Ha!! Yeah, camera tricks! Lol

Originally Posted by MIKES 68 F100
From your pic looks like coil is grounding out on the metal fuel line !

Old 01-26-2015, 03:15 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
I did run my finger on the inside of the exhaust pipe which came back very black and sooty (i read that this is a sign of it running too rich as well).

Here's another strange thing. The choke is working (it's manual and it is definitely functioning). BUT, since we has the carb rebuilt, closing the choke when I try to start in the morning NEVER NEVER EVER helps. The truck will ONLY start with the choke open. Is this a clue to anything for you guys??

In terms of checking the spark plugs. The car has been parked overnight. If I go and try to start it now and can't get it started can I try the spark plug test (involving removing them to see if they smell like gas) then?? Or is this something that can be only tested after it stalls?

Also, if it is running too rich, is this something I could try to remedy by adjusting the fuel/air mixture on the carb? (side note: just finished reading Auto Repair for Dummies..and it told me how to do this! Lol).

Lastly,
How would I check this gas line? Just crawl under the truck with a flashlight and trace the line from where the gas goes in and then to the tank and remove this tube? I was told earlier to clamp it first? Which I do not have a clamp. Could I just grab a bucket and remove the tube and empty any gas into the bucket to inspect this??? Also, you said there was a hole in the tube. Does this mean gas was leaking onto the ground? Just trying to pinpoint what exactly I'll be looking for under there.

thanks
Ben

Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
It's hard to pin point things like this...I think it might be running too rich. Take the air cleaner off and move the choke lever back and forth, making sure the plate on the top of the carb is moving from horizontal to vertical. Horizontal is used for starting the engine cold, and it should end up vertical when the engine is warmed up. Checking this won't cost any money.

Engines that are too rich (getting to much gas) will run fine for a while and then bog down like you describe. They will then be hard to restart, and may need to have the accelerator pedal depresses all the way down to be restarted. Just because the carb was rebuilt recently doesn't mean that something may have gone wrong. The needle and seat may not be closing well, or the float level may be a little to high.

After it stalls take the spark plugs out, smell them and look at them. If they smell like raw gas then it is being very too rich, if they don't smell like raw gas but have a black soot on them it is still too rich. They should be clean with maybe a little bit of tan or white crusted on them. The center electrode should be clean and square tipped. Try a fresh set after it stalls and if it starts up easier with the fresh plugs it was probably flooded with too much gas.

I used to have a '66 that would run out at a half tank. Kind of confused me for a while since it wouldn't take much to fill it up. Then I looked inside the tank and saw that it was running out of gas with the tank still half full. The tube that runs down the inside of the tank,and connects to the external fuel line, had a hole in it about half way down.

Otherwise, it might be a shy truck and have a bit too much bling on the outside...just kidding

Old 01-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Black soot in the tail pipe or on the plugs is from poor combustion...that can be from too much gas or from a worn out engine.

You say the choke is working...did you verify that is moving from horizontal to vertical, or are you just looking at the lever outside of the carb? The fact that it starts without the choke shows that the carb is set a bit too rich. You can adjust that some with the little screw on the outside. That only adjusts the mixture at idle and needs the fuel level in the bowl to be correct. Once you open the throttle the needle and jet take over, again depending on the fuel level in the bowl.

The fuel level in the bowl is critical because the carb functions on pressure differential.

You can look at the plugs after you try to start it, I only recommended it after driving it to see why it is stalling then.

Yes, you can just trace the fuel line back to the tank. You do want to spend a couple of dollars on cheap pair of vise grips or a fuel line clamp. I had a friend get burned pretty bad thinking that a little bit of gas wasn't going to hurt anything. Since you aren't very experienced I am strongly suggesting not to just think you can let the gas run and keep it under control.

The hole in my pickup tube was inside the tank, and a pretty rare problem. Once the fuel got below that level it allowed air into the line and then the pump couldn't draw anymore fuel in.

Keep trying and you'll eventually find the problem and learn along the way

Old 01-26-2015, 04:33 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
Yes the choke butterfly is changing from verticle to horizontal.

Vice grips...as in pliers? Just googled it. Ok I have these! Sorry I told u I'm a novice. I won't hold anyone here responsible if I make a mistake

So let's say I wanted to check the fuel lines to make sure nothing is clogged (as someone here previously recommended to me. If I put vise grips on the fuel line, how will I see inside of it to check for clogs?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:38 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
Also I'm considering going back to the guy who rebuilt the carb to tell him it needs adjusting (though I don't really have faith in him as he's already adjusted once, and tbh the car hasn't even been running all that well since he rebuilt the carb or adjusted it. If I went back what should I ask him to do? My concern is that I will get the truck up and running fine and then take it to him, then he will adjust something and say everything looks good. But then when I let the truck sit overnight it still won't start in the morning. (In other words it'll probably be running fine when I take it to him, yet as the problems are intermittent I'm concerned he won't b able to properly make the adjustments....unless I leave it with him overnight I guess?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:51 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
Shoot sorry. Just saw that once I put vice grips on the fuel line I should drain into a bucket and see how it flows. Ok, will try this once it's stopped raining .
What size bucket will I need that will fit under the vehicle but not b too small to hold the fuel that comes out? Will a 2 liter suffice?

Old 01-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Yes, a 2 liter will work fine. If you pull the supply line off of the fuel pump the gas isn't going to come out under pressure. You are just making sure that it can flow freely from the tank to that point. Clamp the line off, then pull it off the pump, then release the calmp to watch it flow, then reclamp and reattach it to the pump.

If you need the mechanic to see how it starts cold then yes you need to leave it with him overnight.

How cold are the mornings? Seeing pam trees I don't think it could be too cold.

Don't forget to post your music video when you get it done

Old 01-26-2015, 05:12 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
In LA so it's not cold. Maybe 65 at the coldest?

Will definitely share the video!

Wait so I can just check the fuel line at the fuel pump? I thought I had to go under the cat and check it by the tank?
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Yes, a 2 liter will work fine. If you pull the supply line off of the fuel pump the gas isn't going to come out under pressure. You are just making sure that it can flow freely from the tank to that point. Clamp the line off, then pull it off the pump, then release the calmp to watch it flow, then reclamp and reattach it to the pump.

If you need the mechanic to see how it starts cold then yes you need to leave it with him overnight.

How cold are the mornings? Seeing pam trees I don't think it could be too cold.

Don't forget to post your music video when you get it done

Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
You might also try running it without that tiny air filter...just to see if it makes any difference. If it is causing a restriction to the air flow then the engine will run rich. Don't just run out and buy a bigger one, test it first.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:13 PM
pollockb
Freshman User
Under the car not cat!

Quick Reply: Truck won't let me add gas??