6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 01:37 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
That would be my thoughts.
I thought it was as stated above and would be addressing egt sensor failures causing a stranded situation. Is this not what the recall is about?

Old 01-22-2015, 01:45 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I'll also do the wait 'n' see as well. That 1.5 mpg or more loss regen cycle is not one of the big pluses for these 6.7 trucks.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
That is the stated recall. How do they do that? Lower the EGT temps. So then you have longer regens.

Who knows what else the programming might do.

I have no idea but that is what I think will occur.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:17 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
This for the infamous EGT sensor failure issues that leave you along the road when a sensor failure occurs. If it eliminates the "getting stranded along the road" condition, I'd say get it now. I will still carry the survival kit, but changing a sensor out on the shoulder of the highway sounds like a thing of the past.

I'm not seeing anything pertaining to regens in what Dave says above. I read this recall, if he knows what he's talking about, to allow for a "limp mode" rather than a shut-down, when that faulty EGT sensor spazzes out

Old 01-22-2015, 02:18 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 899 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by senix
That is the stated recall. How do they do that? Lower the EGT temps. So then you have longer regens.

Who knows what else the programming might do.

I have no idea but that is what I think will occur.
My theory is that the regen process will not change, but what will change is what occurs when there is an apparent sensor "problem". Rather than shutting the truck down, it will probably just go into "limp mode", maybe capping speed at some lower speed so that it is painful enough that you get it fixed, but not leave you stranded.

Our trucks are tall enough that when I'm driving to work in the morning hours before daylight, I can see into cars on the highway that I am passing. I cannot tell you how many I see with a CEL light on, most likely due to a EGR failure of some sort. so, these cars may be polluting more than they should, but there is no "pain" to incent them to get repaired.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The build date on my truck is 07/25/14 so I don't know if it will be included or not. It is not on the current recall list which is updated today. The regen cycles do seem to be longer than on the 2012 and yet all EGT temps are higher during the regen. My mileage is better than on the 2012.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by BlackBeest
I'm not seeing anything pertaining to regens in what Dave says above. I read this recall, if he knows what he's talking about, to allow for a "limp mode" rather than a shut-down, when that faulty EGT sensor spazzes out
Chuck, I dont claim to have any insider knowlege, other than what I glean here. But this recall sounds similar to the ambulance recalls early on for sensor failures. the only difference I see is that in that recall, the actually replaced the sensors with the "B" version.

I do know for fact, since my service guy told me yesterday, that this recall is only a reflash, no parts replacement.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:23 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Lastwagen
The build date on my truck is 07/25/14 so I don't know if it will be included or not. It is not on the current recall list which is updated today. The regen cycles do seem to be longer than on the 2012 and yet all EGT temps are higher during the regen. My mileage is better than on the 2012.
Create an ID on the myford website, and register your truck. Then you can check for all recalls for your VIN. Thats were I got confirmation on mine.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:28 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Originally Posted by djousma
Chuck, I dont claim to have any insider knowlege, other than what I glean here. But this recall sounds similar to the ambulance recalls early on for sensor failures. the only difference I see is that in that recall, the actually replaced the sensors with the "B" version.

I do know for fact, since my service guy told me yesterday, that this recall is only a reflash, no parts replacement.

All signs point to you being spot-on, fwiw. The sudden NHTSA investigation, this "re-flash" (not parts) recall.... what I'm saying is this doesn't seem to share any similarities with that earlier transmission/pcm reflash that cost everyone those mpg's. I can't help but see this recall as a positive, rather than a maybe....

Old 01-22-2015, 02:40 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
My 2014 with a 12/2013 build date is not showing this recall on the Ford Owners website. The 2011 I traded in but still have in my Ford Owners profile is showing this recall. It had a build date of 5/2011.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:50 PM
BlackBeest
More Turbo
Well, it's not specific as to what it addresses, but here's a copy/paste using my VIN:

FIELD SERVICE ACTION NUMBER: 14E03

FSA TITLE: REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

<small></small>
<small>A recall is an action by the Company to remedy a safety or emissions-related concern related to a vehicle defect or regulatory requirement. It may require that you return your vehicle to the dealer for service. If your vehicle is not affected, it may be because it was built at a different time or using a different part than the affected vehicles. </small>
<small></small>
<small>Be advised that this system tracks safety and emission recalls and customer satisfaction programs for which vehicles are subject to repair in the United States. The information provided is subject to change and update. There may be temporary delays in update of information on this site due to a number of factors. For the latest information regarding the status of your vehicle or any recall program of Ford Motor Company, please contact your local dealership directly or the Ford Customer Relationship Center.</small>
<small>
</small>
<small>buncha lol</small>

Old 01-22-2015, 04:06 PM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't get too excited. First word in the recall "Certain" 2011-2014..........In other words, NOT ALL OF THEM.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 PM
miner999r
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got this for my 2011 F350 which was built Nov. 2010. My truck is already in the shop for 2 days now trying to track my door lock short and poor shifting when the trans is cold. I guess add this to the expense.

FIELD SERVICE ACTION NUMBER: 14E03
FSA TITLE: REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

Old 01-22-2015, 04:09 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is what I was told, the PCM flash will lower the temps that the regen system reach during a regen cycle. This will keep EGTs lower and not cause over heating damage to the sensors reducing sensor life. A longer regen was not mentioned, but common sense would say, at least to me that with lower temps the regen will require more time to do an efficient burn.

My source also shows that the recall release will be dated 2/6/2015 however the dealerships should currently have the program in hand to do the flash as needed.

Old 01-22-2015, 04:19 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bridge
My 2014 with a 12/2013 build date is not showing this recall on the Ford Owners website. The 2011 I traded in but still have in my Ford Owners profile is showing this recall. It had a build date of 5/2011.
My 2012 is showing the recall.

Quick Reply: Recall 2011-2014 F250-F550 6.7L 14E03