1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Dana 60 Swap

Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing that makes your deal marginal, Joseph is that you'll have to pay to re-gear it. Like you said, if you're planning on putting a locker in it anyway, then you'll be paying setup costs anyhow. The only thing you'll need in addition is a set of 4.10 gear. That takes the price up a few hundred bucks, but the deal you're getting is NOT a bad deal. It's not a screaming deal, but you're not getting ripped off either. That's about the average. These guys are just saying that if you can find one that is already 4.10 gears you'll save yourself the cost of a ring an pinion set. It's your call, man. I don't think you're getting ripped off, you're just dealing with what you can find locally.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
That's in NY, though. Include time and fuel in the price, and I'm not that far ahead, and then I'm on my own for all of the other parts that I'll need.

Is this deal I've found really that bad? And I'm going to put a locker in it anyway, so that takes care of that, and I don't think I want to stick with 3.55 gears, anyway.
1000 for the axle

Locker in the front? Good luck steering.
But even so you would be looking at $400-600 on the locker, install kit $150 and another 400+ in labor.

The the rear axle regear would be $200 and install kit $250 and labor $400+

So a grand total of $2650 minimum

Old 01-25-2015, 02:58 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Yeah, but Brad, if he does re-gear the front, he won't need to re-gear the rear. He said he doesn't want 3.55 gears, so he will just be switching the front to be a 4.10 ratio to match the rear he already has. By your own numbers, he will have about $2k in a locked, D60 front with the right ratio in it. It's his money anyway, so what difference does it make? Plenty of guys run a locker of some kind in the front and have no issues with steering (including someone who has already posted in this thread), it just has to be either a selectable locker (e-locker, or air locker-- ARB or something similar) or a limited slip setup. They're not ideal for on-road use, but off road a good selectable or limited slip front diff is a GREAT asset. It's his truck, his money and he knows what's available in his area.

The best thing would be for him to get a D60 with everything he needs for less than $1k, but that may not be an option in his area, and if it's not, then this is the next best thing.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:17 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
The d60 has 4.10.

He will have to regear the rear.

He wants to have locker added to the rear anyway.

Around here most times d60s go for 12-1500....IF you can find them.

He will be fine in the end.
I think I would add a lock rite up front. When they are driven they unlock completely yet when driving its spool time.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:48 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Well, I bought it. I'll look it over really well and if I want to abort and wait for a different axle, I don't think I'll have any real trouble selling it for what I paid for it.

And yes, I knew going into this that it is going to cost me, but I'm going to do it over time. I don't plan on doing this in a weekend. I'm going to take my time, learn a lot, and do it right.

I mean, how hard can it be? (lol, that's a joke)

Old 01-25-2015, 07:29 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Apparently I better start shipping axles to indiana

Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
I paid $900 for mine and that's a good deal around here. If you do some research and watch some YouTube videos, I'd bet you could regear it yourself. That's what I did; I added 3.73s and an ARB. It's been a great setup. That's me keeping up with a bunch of Heeps in a PSD. You should have seen their faces when I rolled up in big old crew cab. I don't think they thought I'd make it very far.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:36 AM
DarkStarMedia
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I paid $300-$400 ish (plus a couple weekends of labor) for a set of axles from an 09 and i got the whole frame and springs and stuff.

Richard

Old 01-26-2015, 07:26 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Good for you Joseph! One thing about it is, even if you end up selling that axle and getting something else, now you know you have everything you need and you don't have to be as picky about what comes with any axle you're looking at. I don't think you went wrong there.

It's funny how much different the prices for some of these parts are regionally, isn't it?

Old 01-26-2015, 08:28 AM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dclack
I paid $900 for mine and that's a good deal around here. If you do some research and watch some YouTube videos, I'd bet you could regear it yourself. That's what I did; I added 3.73s and an ARB. It's been a great setup. That's me keeping up with a bunch of Heeps in a PSD. You should have seen their faces when I rolled up in big old crew cab. I don't think they thought I'd make it very far.

Same prices here^. Pacific Northwest Dana 60's go for $800 plus all day long.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:57 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Good for you Joseph! One thing about it is, even if you end up selling that axle and getting something else, now you know you have everything you need and you don't have to be as picky about what comes with any axle you're looking at. I don't think you went wrong there.

It's funny how much different the prices for some of these parts are regionally, isn't it?
Actually, in the interest of full disclosure, he didn't give me many parts with it. Guy was a little deceptive about it. Yeah, it wasn't a great deal in the end, but it's what I could get. But from looking around here and there in local classifieds and stuff, it seems like I paid the going rate. There's demand, too, so I shouldn't have any problems reselling it if I want to abort.

I figured that it was a fairly low risk decision, especially considering that axles hold their value much better than US dollars, haha. You know that I have notoriously poor judgment, though, haha. Try to take it easy on me.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:04 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Apparently I better start shipping axles to indiana
I guess so. Keep in mind that we don't have vehicle inspections, so older trucks that still have Dana 60s are still on the road. I don't know if that makes a significant impact on the price, or if this is even relevant, but I wonder if it does have that effect. I don't think KY or TN have inspections, either.

Does PA have inspections?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Did you get the track bar and bracket at least?

Old 01-26-2015, 11:38 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Yes, got the panhard rod and bracket.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BuckHammer
I guess so. Keep in mind that we don't have vehicle inspections, so older trucks that still have Dana 60s are still on the road. I don't know if that makes a significant impact on the price, or if this is even relevant, but I wonder if it does have that effect. I don't think KY or TN have inspections, either.

Does PA have inspections?
We do have inspections but when the cab falls off the frame I would hope people stop driving the junk and part it.

I get 3-4 f350 parts trucks a year and resell the 60s for $850 with all the parts.

That drivers side U-bolt plate is going to cost your $150 plus

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dana 60 Swap