Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Car Barn interior layout ideas

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Barn interior layout ideas

Well, I've contracted to have a 40' x 50' car barn built. It will be a pole barn, with 12' walls, and a scissors truss so I can fit a lift inside. Concrete floor, of course. The shell should be done before the end of March.

Now I am trying to figure out the interior layout. I want to have a clean room for working on engines, etc, and also a tool room to store engine hoist, engine stands, and be a home for the air compressor. I know there are a bunch of other things that can be done. No I am looking for ideas on layout and floor plan ideas, etc. All suggestions and comments appreciated.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:21 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
If you haven't found this place yet, check it out:

The Garage Journal

Old 01-24-2015, 08:27 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I have a 30x40 shop. One thing I will change is moving the air compressor & vacuum to a small room outside the building. They make too much noise & take up space I need. I plan to add a 8 or 10 ft wide shed down one side. Most will be open storage but i will build a inclosed area for these 2. My shop is open except for a 8x12 full bath in the front corner

Old 01-26-2015, 08:42 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Thanks for the link, Chris. Neat ideas, there. And thanks to Lariat, as well. I think I'm going to build a storage room for engine hoist, engine stands, etc, and I think I'll have put the air compressor in there, to keep the noise in the shop down. I want to have a small "office" where I can keep references, computer, etc. One friend warned me about putting flecks in the epoxy floor covering because the flecks makes finding dropped nuts and bolts so much more difficult. Any other ideas/recommendations?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 PM
ctubutis
Is it going to have water? A garage-type of LARGE sink is NICE, and a bathroom can be nicer.

Don't forget the stereo/MP3 player/streaming video/whatever.

That point about finding dropped nuts is a good one, thank you for that! I wonder if I can remember it for when I do my garage floor....

Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I like a loft area myself . Water is a must . A bath and fridge are a plus ! Outside Air compressor is Nice . Proper plumbing of the air lines and electric outlets make work much easier . A central vac system is cool also . Lighting , Lighting , Lighting . Do not spare on the lighting . A bit of heat is a must in winter , good vents , and airflow in the summer . Have fun !

Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
It will have water, and I'm looking for a restaraunt style stainless steel sink with side boards that can hold parts that need to be washed and have already been washed. I figured I'd locate the parts washer nearby. There won't be a bathroom, but I will have a wiz tube to get rid of used coffee and beer. Definitely will have a fridge, microwave, and sound system. I also think I have figured out how to incorporate a loft for storage of parts and other stuff. I do plan to have climate control, so I can work year round in relatively comforatable temperatures. Lots of light - check!

Old 01-27-2015, 06:14 PM
ctubutis
W(h)iz tube? Is this like the
Feminine Funnel Feminine Funnel
? To where does it exit, and how does it get there? I quite honestly want something like that... just a urinal on a wall would be fine....

Old 01-28-2015, 07:52 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
W(h)iz tube? Is this like the Feminine Funnel? To where does it exit, and how does it get there? I quite honestly want something like that... just a urinal on a wall would be fine....
Funnel hooked to a plastic tube that exits outside. I remember something similar that was in the back of old C-130's back in the 70's.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
A wood stove would be nice, but insurance co. do not like those at all. So you're probably looking at LP gas. A dedicated method of routing engine exhaust to the outside would be nice.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 PM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tedster9
A wood stove would be nice, but insurance co. do not like those at all. So you're probably looking at LP gas. A dedicated method of routing engine exhaust to the outside would be nice.
I was planning on central heat and air, although I haven't decided on gas heat or not. It would have to be LP, as piped in natural gas is not available in this area. The engine exhaust evacuation is a great idea. Thanks!!

Old 02-01-2015, 03:23 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
Depending upon the type of lift..a minimum concrete thickness is required. Where the 2 post is fastened, usually 8".
I knew a guy who used his wash sink as a potty, complete with a shower head for flushing. Run the drain outside to a small leach field with gravel.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:40 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I have a 5 ton heat wall mount air & heat unit. I made my exterior walls even with the inside of the poles which gave me a 6 inch space to insulate. It really helps on the temp. Plus it cuts the noise from outside. I can barely hear a heavy thunderstorm. I have the same 6 inch insulation in the attic. I'm real happy with it. I expected the metal roof to be loud but it's quieter than the trailer we live in. I plan to build a house with pole construction & insulate it the same. It will have cyprus board siding instead of metal
I have a Yamaha 700 watt reciever with a seperate Hafler power amp for my 2 ten inch subs. I built the cabinets for all my speakers. I have a set of 3 ways mounted on the front wall. I doubt I'll add a rear set & center channel in the shop. It's very loud & clean. I have a pair of Exodus Audio 6.5 Anarchy mids I plan to use to replace the tired 6.5s in my boxes. These bad little speakers weigh 8 lbs & have a Xmax of 11 mm. I have a set in my truck.They are great I love having the remote I have a dvd player & mp3 player hooked up.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:34 AM
86fordtruck
Elder User
Great idea, lariat97. Great reminder on the concrete and gravel leach field, GLR, but I think I'll pass on the peeing in the sink.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I do a lot of spray painting & sanding in my shop. The full bath is to keep the dirt out of our house. I have a washer ,dryer ,frige,micro & convection oven. I can live in my shop right now. Everyone kept asking why I have no windows. It's because I have shelving on almost every inch of the uppar 4 ft of wall. My back wall is my lumber rack. U have 2/ 30 ft runs of 2 ft deep storage for my lumber. By keeping my shelving5 ft off the floor I can have powertools under them. Most of my shelving is 16 inches deep. It really helped get my floor space back. I've been planning my shop for years. I've looked at my friends shops &used the things I liked.I have a plug every 4 ft on every wall. Every power tool has its own circuit. I used 12 four ft 2 light floresent fixtures. in the shop area the bath has one in it. I have enough light

Quick Reply: Car Barn interior layout ideas