1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Turn signals for 48F1

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn signals for 48F1

Thinking about front and rear turn signal kit for my 48F1 with camper shell.

Got the OEM front and rear bumpers plus other alternatives about where to mount, but thinking likely bumper mounted units are for me a better look.
At least that's what I'm thinking now.

Nothing super fancy. Thinking maybe a universal kit from NAPA? or similar..Something with the hose clamp type mounted to steering column manual lever to operate them. Or whatever.

Gonna look wherever but was wondering if someone has something they like. Not too interested in the cool push button and other modern type setups. Looking for something that looks kinda like what peeps mostly used in the 50's when they decided to fit the F1's with turn signals. Mostly thinking about the round orange universal looking units.

Any recommendations?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:20 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
I take it you're not interested in double filament bulbs in the parking/tail lights?

Old 01-21-2015, 08:33 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

I'm looking for something like these:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...cs/ST52AA.html

I think I can use four of these for front and rear turn signals. I just glanced at these, but looks possible. Just drill holes in the top of the bumper and or maybe add a little tab if needed.etc. It appears that the "dark colored base" is plastic..I wish it were metal. I might find some that are metal.

I also saw a nice Ron Francis turn signal "lever" that mounts to the steering column. His stuff..that I've used..wiring parts/connectors etc have always been hi quality..so I trust his stuff. Have seen some "unusable"..from others.

Thanks but no i don't need any kind of double filaments. Just turn signals. That's all.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:05 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
He means adding a double filament to the parking lights, that way you wouldn't need those round orange lights in the front. You could do the same to the tail lights and not even have to worry about adding those orange lights.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:21 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomget

I think I can use four of these for front and rear turn signals. I just glanced at these, but looks possible. Just drill holes in the top of the bumper and or maybe add a little tab if needed.etc. It appears that the "dark colored base" is plastic..I wish it were metal. I might find some that are metal.

I also saw a nice Ron Francis turn signal "lever" that mounts to the steering column. His stuff..that I've used..wiring parts/connectors etc have always been hi quality..so I trust his stuff. Have seen some "unusable"..from others.

Thanks but no i don't need any kind of double filaments. Just turn signals. That's all.
You should be able to buy vintage style turn signals on eBay. Look up Dietz truck lights on eBay for old ones. Look up the Dietz website for new ones. Last year I sold a pair of old ones I found in a junkyard.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 AM
49 Merc P/U
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you went to dual filament bulbs and sockets you would not have to additional lights it would be all contained inthe original lite housings. Much like a newer vehicle.
Bruce

Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
So, you need two different things:

A turn signal switch that includes the steering column control lever. These are generally 7 wire set-ups to allow the use of dual filament bulbs in the existing parking/tail lights. Certainly, this system can also be used with the separate, dedicated turn lights that you linked. Many use a Signal Stat unit like this that clamps to the steering column:

The other thing you'll need is to decide which arrangement to install. Putting the additional lights on was a typical solution back in the day. They gave you a look like this:

The alternative simply uses the existing parking/tail lights with bulbs that have two filaments. The wiring scheme allow the tail lights to show for the brakes, the running lights, or the turn signal. The fronts are running lights and turn signals. The existing bulb sockets need to be swapped for dual filament configuration. The sockets are available at any auto parts house and the installation is usually a minor effort. The wiring required is about the same for either version.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:21 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
My truck had the blinkers on the fenders. when I fixed the truck up I put dual filaments in the parking lights but I kept the separate blinkers in the rear. I think it is good to alert tailgaters of my intentions to have separate turnsignals back there as opposed to two little lights with dual functions.

The turnsignal on the right was on my truck when I bought it in 1977. I painted the base and after this pic was taken bought a new lens. The one on the left I bought on ebay.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:58 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
If you choose to install lights atop the front fenders, be aware of that location being a real PIA when working under the hood. Bumper or cowl is, IMO, a much better location if you install auxiliary lighting. I installed the dual element bulbs in my original parking light locations on my F4. I left the round aftermarket signal lights mounted on the cowl.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by raytasch
If you choose to install lights atop the front fenders, be aware of that location being a real PIA when working under the hood.
Amen brother.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'd strongly advise sticking with a SignalStat. Many around that are 60 years old and functioning perfectly; the same can't be said for the chinese knock-offs.

And ditto the comments on as big and bright of a light/lens as you can stand. The original taillights, especially on 6v, are not exactly blinding.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Gicknordon
He means adding a double filament to the parking lights, that way you wouldn't need those round orange lights in the front. You could do the same to the tail lights and not even have to worry about adding those orange lights.
I don't know why you're saying I don't understand him?

Is it because I don't want that? the double filaments etal?

I'm just crazy..make the adjustment..I do things the way I want them..not the way others want me to do it. I actually want the big orange things.

Its America..lets be free..at least a little haha.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Tomget

Just drill holes in the top of the bumper and or maybe add a little tab if needed.etc. .
Ya..as I mentioned earlier I'm planning to most likely put them on the top of the bumper...or similar.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd strongly advise sticking with a SignalStat. Many around that are 60 years old and functioning perfectly; the same can't be said for the chinese knock-offs.

And ditto the comments on as big and bright of a light/lens as you can stand. The original taillights, especially on 6v, are not exactly blinding.
Ya that's well said..I'm trying to find a good brand and such.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

The reason I want the big old orange things are two fold..first in my life these were often the popular go to set up for these old trucks and I just got used it and its a look that I've come to like..even if its not the most attractive.

And secondly I sometimes can't see well behind me with the big camper shell, and I like to make real sure those around me can see my intentions in case I didn't see them. I've pulled in front of a couple people that I didn't see and the more I signal the better my odds to not take out an innocent

Quick Reply: Turn signals for 48F1