Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Freshman User

Michael Levy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Starter on 54 223 Grinding

So the truck was starting and running fine. Tried to start it today and I got a grinding sound. Tried banging on starter with a hammer. Checked charge on battery. From what I can tell, it's either a bendix problem or flywheel problem. Where to start? Should I remove starter and check for wear? Truck has been converted to 12 v, so I don't if the starter is original or was replaced to a 12v unit as I don't know enough about conversions, so if I need parts or a new starter, don't know which starter or starter parts to order.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
These starters generally have two issues. Worn brushes and worn bearings. The six volt starters generally survive quite well running on 12 volts. If the bendix is kept reasonably clean, about the only problem they have is a broken spring. Probably time to remove and examine the starter. Who knows what you'll find, perhaps a mouse nest gumming things up. If you have an independent shop that can rebuild it, that may be your best bet. Recent reports of rebuilds costing in the $50. range.
Edit: Check the flywheel gear when you have the starter off.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Government conceived by genius, now operated by fools.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Freshman User

Michael Levy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you Ray. I will do that. Of course, later on last evening, It started right up. I read that when certain parts get warn, depending where they line up when the engine stops, it might slip at next start. Worth taking a look.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM
New User

Sarafina is starting off with a positive reputation.
My Bendix Starter is working fine, but sounds like a Dolphin talking for the first two minutes or so. What gives?
Thanks...
Old 01-22-2015, 03:35 PM
Postmaster

abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.abe has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarafina View Post
My Bendix Starter is working fine, but sounds like a Dolphin talking for the first two minutes or so. What gives?
Thanks...
Maybe you ran over Flipper.....

Seriously, I see this was your first post. Welcome to FTE. We believe this is the best old ford truck forum on the world wide web!

We need to see pics of your truck, some history and what state you are from!

abe
FTE member since March '98
1954 F-100, bought from Grandpa in 1977 for $200
1970 F-350 flatbed dump, purchased 9/20/12
Old 01-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Levy View Post
Thank you Ray. I will do that. Of course, later on last evening, It started right up. I read that when certain parts get warn, depending where they line up when the engine stops, it might slip at next start. Worth taking a look.
This is when the flywheel ring gear gets chipped or missing teeth. Depending on where the engine stops, the starter may or may not try to engage the bad area of the gear. Be sure to turn the engine over to inspect each tooth of the mentioned gear. And, of course, check the teeth on the bendix gear.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Government conceived by genius, now operated by fools.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Elder User

JimG1098 has a good reputation on FTE.JimG1098 has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome

Agree with what Raytasch said. I just had a new drive unit put on my starter by a great shop. A good shop will be able to tell weather it is 6 or 12V and can readily order parts for most starters. good luck
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...ire-truck.html
Empire H&L Co.No.1, Nyack FD, 1965-2001
Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks