1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Front end shakes like CRAZY! feels like falling apart.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:46 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front end shakes like CRAZY! feels like falling apart.

It started probably two years ago and it’s getting worsefast recently. I only this truck maybe once a week or two, only local drive.That’s the reason I never bothered to fix it for so long. It only happens under60 mph (at least till now). Once at highway speed, it never does it.<o></o>

It started when I start accelerate (10 to 40 mph maybe) ordecelerate (40-10) on those cement road (with seams every 8 or 10 feet), butnow it will do it even on smooth black top.<o></o>

When it started the shake, it gets from slight to veryviolent very fast (a few seconds). The stick (gear selector from the manualtranny) and the entire front end shakes like crazy (almost like a harmonicresponse). It feels (literally) like thetranny and doors are falling off the truck in any time. When I realize that hisis going to happen, I try to suddenly change the speed (normally hit the brakehard till It stops doing that OR the truck come to a halt.<o></o>

I’m not familiar with suspension work (I can replace any ofits part, but not good trouble shoot). I’m thinking first to replace the shocksto see what will happen (cheapest thing to do and also the old shocks are deadalready)<o></o>

<o></o>

Any inputs? Thx<o></o>

Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
FIRST thing to do is rotate the tires, see if anything changes. If so, that strongly suggests a tire balance problem, maybe even a damaged tire (internal belts shifted). Original clutch? If so, dual-mass flywheel on its way out is another possibility. Do you hear an extra bit of clatter when you shut off the engine?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:00 PM
dclack
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like death wobble. First thing I'd do is check the track bar and you will most likely find you need to replace the bushings.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That my friend is in fact death wobble.. Youtube it, you can watch it happen. What are the full specs of your truck and drivetrain? Whats the milage, when were the ball joints done last, how much toe do you have? An instant remady is often adding some toe barring other bigger issues.. Like Dclack said, bad track bar bushings will perpetuate this condition and yes ive seen as little as a 5psi difference in front tire air pressure contribute to this or worn/broken steel belts; but what your talking about is death wobble... The attached it titled for a superduty but DW hapoens to many vehicles...
Check out this video on YouTube:

Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Fairly new tires. However, one has a slow leak. I make sure that both tire are inflated to the same pressure before I use the truck every time. I did notice that if one tire pressure is lower, the shake gets really bad.

Just replaced the clutch during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Originally Posted by madpogue
FIRST thing to do is rotate the tires, see if anything changes. If so, that strongly suggests a tire balance problem, maybe even a damaged tire (internal belts shifted). Original clutch? If so, dual-mass flywheel on its way out is another possibility. Do you hear an extra bit of clatter when you shut off the engine?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:55 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Was it doing the same thing before getting the new tires?

Old 01-22-2015, 11:08 AM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
I will add that in my v30 in stock configuration w bad tires when my steering stabilizer was pooched the truck would death shake real bad...

Old 01-24-2015, 09:46 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Update

Weather is nice today in st. louis. I got a few hour to jack her up and work on it. First, I replaced both front shocks (long overdue anyway), did not make a difference upon test drive. Examined the front end carefully. Found out that my truck does not have a steering damper as other trucks. Don’t know why this truck does not have one. The 95 manual says the damper is there. Don’t know if it’s possible to install one. Next thing to do is to replace the track bar bushings and see what happens. Did try to wiggle the tires to check the upper and lower bearings. Don’t see any movement. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 01-24-2015, 10:17 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Check your toe too; use a piece of string its as accurate as you can get shade tree mechanic style... If its neutral try adding 1/4", pay attention to any front tire wear too, that may be an indicator of whats going on...

Old 01-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Spktyr
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are several companies that offer kits to install a steering damper either in place of the stock one or to replace an install that is missing, brackets and all. Not very expensive.

I commend the Energy Suspension polyurethane track bar bushing kit, in black, to your attention. The black contains graphite and is likely to remain quieter for a lot longer than the red ones. (All Poly bushings eventually squeak and need regreasing.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:46 AM
PSD-CamperVan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Centramatic Automatic Wheel Balancers

These might be something to consider as well if nothing else turns up on inspection:

Old 01-25-2015, 06:01 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

A dumb question: Do I want "toe in" 1/4 inch or toe out?

Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Check your toe too; use a piece of string its as accurate as you can get shade tree mechanic style... If its neutral try adding 1/4", pay attention to any front tire wear too, that may be an indicator of whats going on...

Old 01-25-2015, 06:20 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by eyyu
A dumb question: Do I want "toe in" 1/4 inch or toe out?

Not dumb; i wouldnt consider it one of those obvious things.. Youll want to go in.. What was it?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:30 PM
powrstroke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My f250 shook like that I thought the front end was coming apart ended up with a faulty break rotor was split around center took a while to find it because it shook even without applying break.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

The shake comes in occasionally (I can feel when it's about to happen) either slowing down withe brake applied or picking up spspeeders always between 10 and 55 mph. Once at highway speed it never did it on me at least till now.

Anyway, I went ahead ordered a single cylinder after market steering damper hope that it will make this truck less prone to the death wobble. Also, ordered the track bar poly bushings. Will see what it will do.

Quick Reply: Front end shakes like CRAZY! feels like falling apart.