1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

So many sensors... so little time

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 03:46 PM
scooterspal
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So many sensors... so little time

Thought I'd post these pics in the hopes we can identify what these various sensors are in my (had a hard life) 1997 Ranger. Will help me and others trace out what their engine codes are advising we check.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:37 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Boy oh boy, you sure got a lot of junk under the hood. I am glad my 94 DOES NOT have all that stuff, looks like a calif setup!

Anyhow from what I can tell AA TPS, Throttle position sensor, BB IAC Basically raises rpm with ac on. Mine has been disconnected for at least 150000 miles. FF I am going to guess may be your MAS sensor.

Looking at the pic of the air cleaner, you do not have a cold air system, its just that the filter container has been taken out and a conical filter installed. Look at a junk yard or go for the real thing is my suggestion.

also look at the link with the hose diagrams and go to the site and go thru their tech section. But with all the corrosion showing you probably need to CLEAN all the sensors you can find. Bad/dirty connectors can cause all kinds of issues. Get yourself a manual at autozone or oriellys or..... they will have all the sensor locations noted and you will know what they are. Autozone.com, you register to the site and have access to their repair manuals and other stuff. I highly recommend as this will allow you to research and understand what you are looking at. A manual is about $20 or so.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I went to the autozone site and logged in with a 97 4.0 2wd. Went to the repair guides and there is a lot of junk there to sort thru:

The Air Charge Sensor is located:
Under hood, passenger side, front engine area, below air filter housing, mounted in air intake duct
The Coolant Temperature Sensor is located:
Under hood, center, upper engine area, passenger side of water outlet, mounted in intake manifold
The EGR Valve is located:
Under hood, center, rear engine area, mounted top rear driver side of engine
The Mass Air Flow Sensor is located:
Under hood, passenger side, upper engine area, mountedin air intake duct.

CC in picture may be the EVR , EGR Vac Regu solonoid

FF is not what I thought, there is a temp sensor of some sort in the airbox system

Go the site and see for yourself. I cannot locate the MAF as it is supposed to be connected to the airbox so will need to look at the aircleaner set up again.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:42 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AA: Throttle position sensor
BB: Idle air control (not a sensor)
CC: EGR differential pressure flow sensor / DPFE
DD: Looks like the EGR solenoid. If so, it's not a sensor. It provides vacuum to the EGR diaphragm when commanded by the computer. Does it have a vacuum line that goes to the EGR diaphragm?
EE: Looks like it might be the MAF but I can't tell from the picture. What does the connector look like? Got a picture from a wider angle? Usually just downstream of the filter element and upstream of where the crankcase vent system ties in.
GG: Either the vapor canister purge valve or the flow sensor. I think it's the sensor.
HH: Whatever GG isn't
FF: Intake air temp

Old 01-22-2015, 09:14 AM
scooterspal
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hank85713
...BB IAC Basically raises rpm with ac on. Mine has been disconnected for at least 150000 miles...
Don't have any AC. Can I also disconnect (power connector) or best to leave it alone?