Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Transfer Case Fluid Requirements

Old 01-21-2015, 07:17 AM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Transfer Case Fluid Requirements

Found this interesting. I know its been out for a while. Been researching it. Apparently, the additives dissolve the contact mating material (Glue?). Hmmm.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:54 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
This is the first I've heard of this.

TSB 06-14-4 came out in June 2007:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_06144.pdf

Now there's a YouTube video in December 2014 telling me that the Mercon V I've been using in the transfer case since I bought the truck (fall of 2007) has been eating away at my at my transfer case turning its innards to Jell-O for over 7 years!!?!?!!?

This is interesting since I was off-roading just a couple of weeks ago and the front end was clawing like a champ and it's never leaked, seeped or wept a drop of moisture.

In my years on FTE I've not come across any transfer case concerns or any failure epidemic since the switch to Mercon V. Is there any truth to the YouTube "Brian"? Have I been blind to this issue? Do I need to go home tonight and drain my transfer case??!?!!?

Quick, somebody hand me a paper bag! I'm starting to hyperventilate!!!!

Old 01-21-2015, 03:17 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
New to me as well.

I asked for the Transfer Case Fluid at the Parts counter and the guy said "What?". I explained it to him, he did some research, and, BAM! there it was.

Apparently this has been out for a while (since 2012). Ford sent it to all Service Representatives and Shop Manager. It was NOT sent as a TSB, it was sent as a Service Advisory and Vehicle Up-Date to Owners Manuals.

Ford must have had a concern with the failure of a number of units to alter their fluid requirement.

This is what is listed on the SA. Which, I coped from the screen as best I could at the time with people moving all around. It may not be 100% accurate.

Check out Bullet #2.

Transfer case fluid is recommended by Ford Motor Company for use in transfer cases driving front axles on Ford, Lincoln and Mercury AWD/4X4 vehicles

For use in transfer cases where MERCON ATF was previously recommended, discontinue use of MERCON V (incompatibility issue); do not use in AWD vehicles equipped with a transaxle.

Do not use in automatic transmissions, manual transmissions, power take off units (PTU) or fluid couplers.

Do not use in torque on demand transfer cases

Check owner guide and transmission fluid charts for application and latest printings.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:01 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
It is going to take a few flushes to get all of the Mercon V that's been soaking into the internals for over half a decade...this is what I get for never taking my rig to the shop!

Is there any fluid out there (Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc.) that's interchangeable with Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid XL-12? Amazon has it for $13/quart and I can only imagine how much the dealership charges.

Google-ing around it seems that there is a fiber clutch on steel backing in the transfer case and that the Mercon V dissolves the glue that holds them together.

Did Mobil 1 change their synthetic ATF ingredients for Mercon V compatibility? Should I be concerned on getting the Mobil 1 out of there or is this more of a Motorcraft Mercon V ATF concern?

Looks like I might have another thing to add to my to-do list...

Old 01-21-2015, 06:25 PM
whitetmw
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by brian42
It is going to take a few flushes to get all of the Mercon V that's been soaking into the internals for over half a decade...this is what I get for never taking my rig to the shop!

Is there any fluid out there (Mobil 1, Valvoline, etc.) that's interchangeable with Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid XL-12? Amazon has it for $13/quart and I can only imagine how much the dealership charges.

Google-ing around it seems that there is a fiber clutch on steel backing in the transfer case and that the Mercon V dissolves the glue that holds them together.

Looks like I've got another thing to add to my to-do list...
I have only worked part time since 1980 at dealerships turning wrenches. My career job was a Firefighter until I retired a few years back. I don't recall ever changing out a transfer case unless it was damaged by the operator doing stupid s***. And then maybe only three total.

Apparently, from what I'm gathering from the few dealerships that surround us is this is news to them too! How so? They're still using MERCON V. At least the one I visited today and talked with them. Wow!

The Service Manager was writing on the dry erase board when I left in big letter ALL TECHS: DO NOT USE MERCON V IN TRANSFER CASES! USE TRANSFER CASE FLUID - SEE ROBBY IN PARTS FOR CORRECT APPLICATIONS.

I guess a better question is:

Will they cover a vehicle if the Transfer Case fails because they used MERCON V as indicated in the Owners Manual AND their lubrication matrix when they performed the service? This has been out for almost three years! First I've heard of it and I get all the updates.

They have already updated to the third printing for 2015 Owners Manuals for the Trucks - They're into the sixth printing for 6.4 supplements. I Didn't even open that bag of Worms.

One of the guys at the counter was saying they're [Ford] keeping the LV and will be phasing out the V in the next couple years.

This backwards compatible stuff IMO never works for the older vehicles as well as what was originally put in.

I guess I'll just put DEX-III in the TC now on as its the base oil for the Mercon Branded Stuff (minus the additives).

With the exception of the shift rod and clutch disk (the only laterally moving parts, the rest are gear drive). I assume the need for lubrication is minimal but the need for heat dissipation is relevant, especially off road where speeds rarely get above 10 or so MPH.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Poolguy601
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is what I have been using in my fleet. It covers everything but synthetic's.
Multi-Vehicle Transmission Fluid - ATF ? Pennzoil

Old 01-21-2015, 11:13 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Why doesn't it desolve the glue holding the clutch material in the transmission?

Old 01-21-2015, 11:48 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 408 Likes on 231 Posts
Have used Mobil 1 for the life of the truck and will continue to do so.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:01 AM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I still have the original mercon in my truck but my X has the mobil mercon V synthetic blend in it. I wonder if that is bad also.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by whitetmw
This backwards compatible stuff IMO never works for the older vehicles as well as what was originally put in.
Thanks for the info whitetmw! Reps sent...

100% agree on the backwards compatibility. Now if only I could find low sulfur diesel around here...

I'll hold off on panicking and keep my Mobil 1 in there (https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-tr.../synthetic-atf) until I find proof otherwise. NASA uses this stuff so how bad can it be right?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM
snknby123
Elder User
Yep, I swapped my fluids when I bought my truck about 35K ago and put Mercon V in the T case. Damn.... and thought I was doing something.

I have seen this guy on vids for my other cars, seems to have a clue but he's not real clear on what to use.

So Mobile 1 ATF is the call then? Looks like I'll be changing out the Tcase fluid this weekend at 30 degrees!

Thanks to the OP!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
This is news to me as well. I have a video on youtube that tells people to use ATF (Mercon V), so I will have to go make a note of this.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:11 AM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will continue to be a Rebel & use Schaeffers 315 simplex Supreme in Transfercase,but not recommending Anybody to follow My reckless ways.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:54 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I admit I'm sharp as a marble but...
Aren't the clutches in the transfer case "dog clutches"?
What glue is he talking about?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:05 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by HD Rider
I admit I'm sharp as a marble but...
Aren't the clutches in the transfer case "dog clutches"?
What glue is he talking about?
Though I have not personally been inside one of these, I believe you are right, Paul.
http://www.enterpriseengine.com/prod...parts-diagram/

Kwik would know for sure, though we haven't seen much of him here lately.

Pop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transfer Case Fluid Requirements