6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

'15 6.7 - 2nd Oil Change / 1st Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 6.7 - 2nd Oil Change / 1st Fuel Filter Change

Well I hit 19,000km on the new truck and had time yesterday to service it. The first oil change went good and I also did the fuel filters this time around. Truck has been flawless since day 1 and I am VERY happy with the power it has, the numerous options, the comfort of the ride and the fuel economy I'm getting with it. Just wanted to point out a few things for those who are going to do their own service. As well as ask a question or 2 for those that know.

First off, oil changes are pretty straight forward and don't need much explanation. I drive the truck to my Dad's house (retired Mechanic) to do my service as he has a pit, hoist and all the tools a guy can dream of. Little trick I opted for this time was to punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and let it drain that way. I unscrewed it the first time and it's not a great feeling when that hot oil starts pouring out all over your bare hands. I'd recommend this method to anyone who is doing their own changes.

Secondly the fuel filters. Top filter DOES NOT require any tools on the 15's and took about 30 seconds. Un-do both quick clips and pop them off. Turn filter about 90 degrees counter clockwise and lift it out. Place new filter in same position and slide it down, turn it 90 degrees clockwise and then hook up fuel lines. I read a few posts that list a 7mm nut that has to be loosened and this is not the case on the 15's. Or at least not on mine.

Now the lower filter is where I have a question. How do you drain the filter housing before dropping it? I loosened the yellow bleed valve and diesel came out but it did not want to stop. I drained a full gallon out and it wasn't slowing at all. So I undid the filter bowl and dropped it down and it was still full to the top and I poured diesel all over the place. I'm guessing it was back draining from the tank and would have never stopped. Anyone find a way around this? I'm thinking if I maybe undid the filter housing a few turns to break the vacuum and then open the bleed valve I'd have more luck? Any advice would be appreciated.

Other than that as I mentioned before these trucks are a dream to drive and own. I've checked a few tanks now and seem to average 17 MPG which doesn't sound great but I also have a heavy foot. I only averaged 16-16.5 with my F150 EB so 17 with a diesel F350 is music to my ears!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:26 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
My '13 does not have the screw for the top filter either.

For the lower, I just let it drain a few and then as it drained I un screwed it and it stopped filling the bowl.

I did it over a 5 gal bucket so I didn't get any on the ground.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Rich53
Senior User
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
You have to loosen the main underbody filter housing a few turns before you open the drain valve, doing so shuts off the fuel flow into the housing so it will drain. If you don't it will drain the entire tank.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Averill7
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rich53
You have to loosen the main underbody filter housing a few turns before you open the drain valve, doing so shuts off the fuel flow into the housing so it will drain. If you don't it will drain the entire tank.
Seconded...three full turns then a pint or so will drain out and stop.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Only 2011's have the 7mm screw on the upper fuel filter. I do believe that the drain on the water separator will go on for quite a bit longer than needed if not loosened some. I first get it loose so I no longer need the socket, then open the drain screw and slowly unthread. When it detaches the fuel level is low enough that it doesn't rush out the top and you just dump the remaining into your drain/collection device.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Thanks guys, I kind of figured that was the trick. With a little luck I won't smell like oil or diesel on the next change. Probably wishful thinking!! haha

Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
I agree with the above answers, but wanted to remind others, the answers are all still in the tech folder at the top of the 6.7 forum thread.
Tanks to many, like Epic cowlick who took the time to share his experiences with us.
Not saying don't ask. just remember that others have had same questions.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:23 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon D
Thanks guys, I kind of figured that was the trick. With a little luck I won't smell like oil or diesel on the next change. Probably wishful thinking!! haha
I wear rubber gloves, I can do oil and fuel filter changes without even needing to wash my hands and it helps to keep hot oil from feeling a little too "happy to see ya".

Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I wear rubber gloves, I can do oil and fuel filter changes without even needing to wash my hands and it helps to keep hot oil from feeling a little too "happy to see ya".
Funny, I was just thinking rubber gloves would be a sound investment. I was a little worried it'd turn me into a sissy man but I won't feel bad now if I know others are using them too!! Cheers

Old 01-21-2015, 06:37 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's a way to use the old "I'm not a doctor, but I played one on tv"

Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 PM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Originally Posted by ruschejj
It's a way to use the old "I'm not a doctor, but I played one on tv"
I'm always looking for an excuse to use that line too. Since I got married I'm not allowed to use it in the bars anymore, haha.