General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

F-150 Owners Sued for Parking in Their Own Driveway!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:52 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
What does any of this have to do with the 2009-2014 F-150's? It's a pick up truck issue in an area with an HOA.

Moving to GNAC.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
And that is why I will never live in a micro-dictatorship HOA. Some people want that, and that is why you read the deed restrictions before you put the earnest money down, and especially before you sign off for the mortgage.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:58 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1. Document valuables
2. Remove important personal items and valuables
3. Burn house down
4. Claim it all on insurance
5. Profit and move while damaging neighborhood.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:34 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by BruteFord
1. Document valuables
2. Remove important personal items and valuables
3. Burn house down
4. Claim it all on insurance
5. Profit and move while damaging neighborhood.
you forgot one.
6.spend several years in prison and ruin your life.

it's best not to agree with something you don't agree with in the first place and go live free (to the best that laws allow) somewhere else instead.

Originally Posted by JoeBruce
Why would you live in a place where your neighbors get to dictate what you are allowed and not allowed to do to the house that YOU are paying for....... AND they get to tell you what you can and cannot drive??? How is that legal? Why do people allow this? Who thought that this would be a good idea?? Talk about control issues.
some people thrive being controlled and instructed what to do and what not to do because they feel such a lack of control thinking and doing on their own.........sheep.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:04 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
The HOA is in New York. If I'm not mistaken, pick up trucks above a certain weight have to be registered as commercial. That could be how the HOA is getting around the passenger car issue.

I have a co worker who lives in Williamsburg, Va in an HOA governed sub-division. His landscaping trailer and his pontoon boat must be parked in the back yard and covered or he'll be subject to a fine, citation and other "corrective" remedies.

He biches like a sailor about it but he knew what he was getting into. Afterall, he just had to live in Williamsburg.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:11 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm from Connecticut and I remember when the city of West Hartford had a law, I believe a blue law that no pickup trucks to be parked where it could be seen from the road. I don't believe that it is enforced today. So you had to keep it in a garage or behind the house. I was a kid at the time when this was said so I don't know how true or false it is. Maybe I will look up the old law.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:32 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
my parents live in a HOA controlled condo complex.
last year when dad got sick he ended up needing a wheel chair. i went to the HOA and told them i was putting a ramp on the side of the house so they could get in and out, and cutting the curb and making it wheelchair accessible.
their reply was absolutely not, nothing can be altered without their permission and they would not allow wheelchair access to the units.
they went so far as going to the town to have their "rule" enforced.
the town found against the association, and determined the complex was not ADA compliant. the town then gave them 6 months to make the whole place compliant at a cost of close to 1.2 million dollars, and also told the complex they could not pass the cost on to the residents.

they also just got smacked with a very large fine by the fire marshal last week after i saw a notice to all residents that "by order of the fire marshal" you have 3 weeks to have your drier vents cleaned of you will be fined $250.
i took the notice to the fire marshal and he flipped out because he never said anything like that, and has fined them before for telling residents do things on his order that he did not say.

they have done this before, and got fined before for other things when the town finds out about it.
and the companies they tell residents to use give them a kickback.
the big problem is a lot of the residents are older, and do not know any better so they do what the association tells them to do.

i really wish i could get my parents out of there, but there is no other place in town with walk in or only one step up to enter.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hooler1
It's probably one of those HOA rules they rarely enforce, until someone (depending who they are..)complains. There's always one Barney Fife around.
Honestly, I see HOA's as one more layer of government. And who wants more of that?
I live in the upper mid west and around here a 4 door, 4 WD, F-150 parked in a driveway is practically a status symbol!

It's virtually a requirement around our neighborhood!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:34 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ct diesel
I'm from Connecticut and I remember when the city of West Hartford had a law, I believe a blue law that no pickup trucks to be parked where it could be seen from the road. I don't believe that it is enforced today. So you had to keep it in a garage or behind the house. I was a kid at the time when this was said so I don't know how true or false it is. Maybe I will look up the old law.
Found present law: (14) Parking in a one-family residential district shall be allowed as follows: Motor vehicles parked overnight shall be parked behind the building line, except that at dwellings which have one or more parking spaces behind the building line, in conformance with Subsection E(8) and (12), up to two motor vehicles, only one of which may be a van or a pickup . truck , may be parked forward of the building line, so long as they do not display any visible commercial signage, are perpendicular to the street, are on a surface which complies with Subsection E(12)

Old 01-21-2015, 09:17 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In CT, all pickups get "combination" license plates instead of regular passenger car plates because they're considered to be commercial vehicles, even if they're only used as someone's personal vehicle. Although you can go to the DMV, fill out a form, pay a fee, and get passenger car plates instead if you wanted to. But they still charge you for the more expensive commercial regristration, so there's not much point in doing that.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:49 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by edtahaney

Its kinda on the other side of "you get what you pay for".

Old 01-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Austin J.
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only reason I would ever get involved with an HOA is if I had a lot of money to pay a lawyer to find every loophole I could just to exploit them and **** off the HOA. I believe in living free. I never understood why zoning is even a thing. If i own the land I will do what I wish. I will never own land in a city or anywhere with zoning or hoas. It i all just a load of bull****. Plus it is impossible to not consider a modern half ton a passenger vehicle. My 2000 F-150 seats six. I drive because I am the only one of my friends that can seat everyone. All of their cars and suvs seat 5 or less.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:42 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 992 Likes on 762 Posts
NYS has restrictions about trucks weighting over 5500lbs which require them to get commercial plates and restricts them from being parked in resdential areas and using parkways.

to legally get passenger plates...you need to change your registration class to suburban by installing a camper top (A.R.E., Leer, CTC, etc) with side windows and having either permentally installed seats, or a bed/camping equipment in the rear.

So if I were the subject of this law suit, i would review the states registration guide lines and make the necesary changes to be able to register in the suburban class.

otherwise, the utcome might not be in favor of the truck owner.

had the same problem with my f-350 dually, which now has a A.R.E. camping top on the bed, so its registered in the suburban class and I have passenger plates and can park anywhere and use parkways.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:16 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
When I lived in the Peoples Republic of Illinois I had the same issue with my regular cab pickup. At the time I could only get truck plates, unless I put a camper on the back, which would allow me to get RV plates.
With truck plates, I was not allowed to park in my driveway or street. Lucky for me a nice person at the police station told me there was no ordnance against parking on lawn (side yard or back yard). Also they told me they never enforce the ordnance unless someone complains. Everyday I pulled in on my side yard & parked right by my neighbors window. The same people who complained.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Nicky73
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
When I lived in the Peoples Republic of Illinois I had the same issue with my regular cab pickup. At the time I could only get truck plates, unless I put a camper on the back, which would allow me to get RV plates.
With truck plates, I was not allowed to park in my driveway or street. Lucky for me a nice person at the police station told me there was no ordnance against parking on lawn (side yard or back yard). Also they told me they never enforce the ordnance unless someone complains. Everyday I pulled in on my side yard & parked right by my neighbors window. The same people who complained.
That is HILARIOUS you got redemption on your neighbor too and found a loop hole , wish I could have as my bumper was over onto the sidewalk about an inch and a half that curved into my parking space as it was the only curved spot because there was a pole at the end . I got a $75 dollar ticket. QQ

Quick Reply: F-150 Owners Sued for Parking in Their Own Driveway!