Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Sticker Shocked (to Death)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:24 AM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to Kelly Blue Book my 2012 has depreciated a whopping $3K in 3 years. It is a highly optioned XLT crew, long wheelbase that I custom ordered. It is a nice truck!!

I think people that buy luxury badges do lose a lot more.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by '89F2urd
There is a healthy supply of "like new" vehicles with only a few thousand miles on them. You buy those used, for 10-15k less than new, because some nimrod bought the truck then couldn't afford it OR some very comfortable person, financially, simply decided they didn't want it anymore. Either way it's a win for the next guy 9.5 times out of 10.
This is simply not true any more. It was before, and maybe it will be again, but CPO and warranty extensions as well as other factors have driven used cars through the roof. They say 11% of people pay full sticker, but even they get the rebates. A vehicle you described will be awful close to striking range for a new car. A $50k truck MSRP less than a year old will probably go for the low $40s retail value. No one will buy it at this price most likely so it will sit and sell in the high $30s. But considering you don't have to be a good negotiator to get a brand new one optioned how you want for $42k, where is the value? Unless it's ultra low miles (under 5k) then there is a good chance the cost per mile doesn't even break even. If someone can't afford their truck payment and were looking at a repo do you think they got their oil changed? For my money I will never buy late model pre-owned. Brand new or at least 10 years old for me. The stuff in between is a crap shoot on value.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:39 AM
MTU 5.0
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think it's important to remember that an entry level F-150 XL can be had for about 28K or less. For a person who needs a no frills truck with a/c and some basic amenities, it's not a bad deal.

Now, for the guy that needs / wants it all, be prepared to pay out the nose.
This.

The OEM's know that a lot of guys want leather or entertainment packages, and are willing to pay a lot for them. Plus, all modern vehicles do feature a lot more standard safety features, and add in all of the costs to meet ever more stringent emissions requirements, and you get $40k+ trucks, and $30k family sedans.

I prefer a cloth seat, crew cab, with six person seating and a column shifter. To me it is just more practical in a truck, and I am 34 so I'm not an old fogey or anything.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:43 AM
MTU 5.0
New User
I just helped my daughter negotiate a deal on a 2015 base model Fusion the other night. We walked the used car lot at the dealer and came back very disappointed by the prices of used cars and the general unwillingness of the dealer to move off of the prices.

So, she got the Fusion at invoice plus $1250 cash back and 0% financing from ford credit. The MSRP on the car was about $22,300.

And the cool thing is, her insurance rates dropped by $30 per six months. And for my referral, I got two free oil changes and a tank of gas.
I have a 2014 Fusion with the 1.5L EB, and it is a very nice vehicle for what it is. That little turbo motor even has usable torque, the car is very quiet, and it rides and handles real good for being FWD. I thought my 2011 Fusion was nice, but the new ones are at another level.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:23 AM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not naming names or quoting anyone .....but economics of a new vehicle are the same as ever and buying one slightly used is cheaper.....ones credit and ability to negotiate aside

Old 02-15-2015, 12:14 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
Originally Posted by MTU 5.0
I have a 2014 Fusion with the 1.5L EB, and it is a very nice vehicle for what it is. That little turbo motor even has usable torque, the car is very quiet, and it rides and handles real good for being FWD. I thought my 2011 Fusion was nice, but the new ones are at another level.
It was sometime between 2006 and 2010 the Fusion became more inspired by Volvo and became a better overall car. As I understand it from the dealer.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:30 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
A lot of good "points" made in this discussion and some...not so much.

I bought my 2015 F150 because I liked it when I saw it and drove it and have a good relationship with my salesman and the GM - both personal friends. They always treat me right.

I don't need to "make sure it earns its keep" or anything else...I liked it, so I bought it. Being able to buy it "Z" plan didn't hurt either. My wife and I are "empty nesters" so we're not quite as strapped as we were when the kids were still at home.

Some of the comments in this thread seem to imply that "wrongs are done to the unfortunate people who can't afford to buy a new truck" or "Ford is really screwing people over by pricing them too high" or statements that make it sound like anyone who CAN afford a new truck is somehow evil or 1%'ers or other such nonsense.

If you want a new truck...BUY it! If driving an antique or some rusted out clapped out POS makes you happy, then, by all means...drive what makes YOU happy - 'MERICA!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X2 on that ^^^^^^^ what he said

Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
The best new trucks make the best used trucks. I can't imagine someone or anyone bagging on a person for buying new. I'll never buy used anything ever again unless it's a dealer demo with no more than 5K on the clock and the warranties are extended by that 5K.

In front of my dealer there is a beautiful 2015 Platinum priced at $61799. She pretty much had it all. My daughter's salesman made a true comment though. He said that this truck will sit for a long time till the right person comes along and even then they'll have to give it away.

I've found that the best way to avoid sticker shock is to have your routine maintenance done at the dealer and walk the lot each time you visit. Most of us buy every 3-5 years and the prices will go up especially when a new model is introduced with new or extra goodies.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by 78Explorer
I don't need to "make sure it earns its keep" or anything else...I liked it, so I bought it.
If it becomes inoperable, most people would be highly upset? Especially with a monthly nut. That's what I meant. Don't need any garage queens or yard ornaments regardless. The age of the truck doesn't matter, that's the point.

Some of the comments in this thread seem to imply that "wrongs are done to the unfortunate people who can't afford to buy a new truck" or "Ford is really screwing people over by pricing them too high" or statements that make it sound like anyone who CAN afford a new truck is somehow evil or 1%'ers or other such nonsense.
Can you point out some specific examples? Don't recall seeing anybody mention or imply anything of the sort. That does sound like nonsense.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 PM
elemint
Elder User
Why? I rarely by anything new do to the taxes and fees alone. I buy vehicles with a proven history of reliability. Usually it is vehicles with around 100k miles that are well maintained and I have NEVER have had any repairs. I have probable spent less than $100 in any repair in the last 15 years. Just brakes, tires and oil changes. In the mean time I have had many friends with new vehicles spending thousands on problems year in and year out.

I'll never buy used anything ever again unless it's a dealer demo with no more than 5K on the clock and the warranties are extended by that 5K.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:00 AM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tedster9
If it becomes inoperable, most people would be highly upset? Especially with a monthly nut. That's what I meant. Don't need any garage queens or yard ornaments regardless. The age of the truck doesn't matter, that's the point.

Can you point out some specific examples? Don't recall seeing anybody mention or imply anything of the sort. That does sound like nonsense.
Everyone doesn't buy their truck based on what "you do or don't need".

As for examples...if you read every post in this thread and don't draw the same conclusion that I did...I can't help you.

Some posts are composed in such a way as to suggest (IMO) that if you don't agree with the poster, you're an idiot.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by elemint
Why? I rarely by anything new do to the taxes and fees alone. I buy vehicles with a proven history of reliability. Usually it is vehicles with around 100k miles that are well maintained and I have NEVER have had any repairs. I have probable spent less than $100 in any repair in the last 15 years. Just brakes, tires and oil changes. In the mean time I have had many friends with new vehicles spending thousands on problems year in and year out.
I bought my '88 F-150 used and I got shafted pretty hard. I kept it long enough to make it even out in the long run.

In 1993 I bought a 1991 T-Bird with the 3.8L V-6. I loved that car. It had 28K on the clock and all was good. By 40K I was mounting new tires, changing the battery, doing brakes, coolant flush, trans flush, had an a/c problem and had numerous pieces of warranty work for a leaking wind shield that netted a new windshield, new carpet and the replacement of my wife's purse.

What I spent in maintenance in the first year would have easily offset the taxes and doc fees.

I'll stick with new and log my own miles as I'm not tough on a vehicle and I can make things last.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:47 AM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 78Explorer
Everyone doesn't buy their truck based on what "you do or don't need".

As for examples...if you read every post in this thread and don't draw the same conclusion that I did...I can't help you.

Some posts are composed in such a way as to suggest (IMO) that if you don't agree with the poster, you're an idiot.
I've bought a lot of new vehicles and a lot of used vehicles. The dollar amount to buy is not the issue for me. I seem to have reached the point in my life that spending that much on transportation from point A to point B is simply not a good financial decision. To others it might be.

I like nice vehicles as much as the next guy and currently have nice vehicles. It seems in your posts that you are trying to justify using a new vehicle as a status symbol. No big deal but at least be honest about it instead of turning it around with the bolded part. I haven't seen that in this thread....at least until the above.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Ranger1980
Senior User
Originally Posted by redford
That would be true if you purchased a vehicle, then sold it two weeks later. Often it is just a rationalization people use to talk themselves out of buying a new vehicle.

If you buy a vehicle new and drive it for 5 or 6 years, the value of it when it is 6 months old, or 1 year old, or even 4 years old is irrelevant. The only value that matters is the price you pay when you buy it and what you get when you sell or trade in the vehicle.
Exactly. Why should I pay dealer prices when a 1 year old vehicle is 25% less in cost? Why should I be a long term tester for a new model vehicle when a 2 year old vehicle has a much lower price, known issues havebeen fixed and the repairs are known.

Quick Reply: Sticker Shocked (to Death)