General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

If you could live anywhere in the world...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:25 PM
F357
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you could live anywhere in the world...

I've got an interesting situation. I've lived in Oregon my entire life. Recently I lost somebody very close to me. More and more I've decided that I don't like weather in Oregon, or the politics, or the taxes, and a lot of other things. I think I need to move. I have no reason I need to stay here.

I have rental income that I can live off of, so technically, I can live anywhere in the world. It's not a ton of money but it's enough to cover my basics. I want to buy some land (several acres) and build my own house. I want to go somewhere where the cost of living is low.

So the question is where do I go? If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why? I could literally just hop on a plane tomorrow and stay there. I have a close friend in Virginia that wants me to move there, but I've never even been out of the pacific time zone...

Old 01-19-2015, 10:56 PM
Ozzie H.
Laughing Gas
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Do lots of homework

You may never find a "perfect" place, but you will likely find somewhere that will fit your top priorities. Do a lot of homework and categorizing. The Internet and libraries are excellent sources of information. Unless you are multilingual or can learn new languages easily, I'd recommend an English speaking area. Before making a commitment, I'd recommend staying in a place for a while (summer & winter). You could live in an RV and move it from place to place until you narrow down your possibilities. North America has much variety to choose from.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:47 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
I wanna live where the girls are always young, pretty and not prone to fight constantly about everything----is there such a place?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by F357
I've got an interesting situation. I've lived in Oregon my entire life. Recently I lost somebody very close to me. More and more I've decided that I don't like weather in Oregon, or the politics, or the taxes, and a lot of other things. I think I need to move. I have no reason I need to stay here.

I have rental income that I can live off of, so technically, I can live anywhere in the world. It's not a ton of money but it's enough to cover my basics. I want to buy some land (several acres) and build my own house. I want to go somewhere where the cost of living is low.

So the question is where do I go? If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be and why? I could literally just hop on a plane tomorrow and stay there. I have a close friend in Virginia that wants me to move there, but I've never even been out of the pacific time zone...

You have to get past this time zone thing before you can seriously consider options to your own question.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:30 AM
stu37d
Government Teat-sucker

What part of Virginia? If what you're looking for is wide open spaces, you'll need to look into the western part of the state (Not West VA, though that's also an option). Western Virginia has mountains, hunting and fishing and a lot of winding roads. Google Shenandoah Valley or Blue Ridge Parkway to get an idea. Yes, I know that our idea of 'mountains' is a little different than y'all on the west coast. If what you're looking for is the ocean, then the coast is where you want to go. However, if I had my choice, I'd probably find a little place in the northern part of North Carolina. Taxes aren't quite as bad down there and it's only a short drive to Virginia (From Elizabeth City, for example).

The downside of living out here is Monday Night Football doesn't end until about 1230 in the morning. This is why I haven't watched MNF for years and years.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 AM
exranger06
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I could live anywhere, I would live in Hawaii. I went there a few months ago on vacation and just fell in love with that place, and that's never happened to me before.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:21 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stu37d
What part of Virginia? If what you're looking for is wide open spaces, you'll need to look into the western part of the state (Not West VA, though that's also an option). Western Virginia has mountains, hunting and fishing and a lot of winding roads. Google Shenandoah Valley or Blue Ridge Parkway to get an idea. Yes, I know that our idea of 'mountains' is a little different than y'all on the west coast. If what you're looking for is the ocean, then the coast is where you want to go. However, if I had my choice, I'd probably find a little place in the northern part of North Carolina. Taxes aren't quite as bad down there and it's only a short drive to Virginia (From Elizabeth City, for example).

The downside of living out here is Monday Night Football doesn't end until about 1230 in the morning. This is why I haven't watched MNF for years and years.

Or Sunday Night Football Or Thursday Night Football, Or.....

Old 01-20-2015, 12:40 PM
trevisM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could stay in Or. just go over the mountains; totally different weather and one county is Mt. time.

Been in a few places, and here's the deal; people are the same every where and no matter where you go , there you are.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:39 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Me, I keep coming back to Washington State, specifically the Puget Sound area. Technically it's a blue state and we keep electing morons to state wide offices but when you actually look the laws are pretty darn good, where it matters to me anyway. I don't do heat well and like a green environment so the weather works well for me. It's where most of my friends and family are. And the Seattle area economy is doing quite well, however that means the housing costs are very high.

If that helps you, IDK, I don't know you, what's important to you etc. Sure sounds like you need a change of scenery and it might be worth going to Virginia for no other reason then the close friend, places really are what you make of them. That said two observations, first SAD(seasonal affective disorder) is more common then you might think and the gloominess of Oregon can certainly bring it on, so I suggest finding some sun. Two, I see you have a 04 F350 diesel, sounds like what you need is a camper, a trailer or slide in, and use it to travel. Seems you have the means, the travel would do you good, and you could head south for sun and east towards Virginia.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 PM
CR3999!
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got back from spending two weeks in the Keys. Rode the Harley there and back, to Texas. All I have been thinking is how I can live there. No more winters yippee. Just loved it there. Not many mountains there.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:43 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by trevisM
You could stay in Or. just go over the mountains; totally different weather and one county is Mt. time.

Been in a few places, and here's the deal; people are the same every where and no matter where you go , there you are.

Not really, There are cultural and political difference between peoples all over the country. That is one of the things that makes it so great.

I have been blessed with living in 8 states before I was 30 years old. I have worked and / or vacationed in 44 (or is it 46?) states. I have seen more of this country than most have seen pictures of and I have enjoyed the people every where I have been...for the most part.

My maternal grand parents lived in Queens, NY. As a young'un I loved to visit there and was astounded by so many tall buildings and wrought Iron fences around the trees to keep dogs from pissin' on them. My Grand Father would take me to all of the boroughs and had me discover the distinct smells of each and every one. This was in the late 50's and early 60's.

Virginia is a great state. I loved it when working their in my late teens. From the Peppermint Lounge in Virginia Beach to the rich history of Richmond to the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I later had in-laws that lived off Route 60 in West Virginia between two mountains. My god that was beautiful....but, hard driving Eagles Nest in the snow. You could see your own tail lights as you drove around Chimney Corner . It was mostly two lane when I was last there.

The Carolina's, Florida, even the Louisiana swamps are quite stunning if you can stand the critters.

When I lived in Tucson I worked in Phoenix quite a bit. Both were awesome and at times I drove from Tucson to Southern California. The terrain abruptly changes so many times it is hard to keep up and when you see the mountains in California you think you will be there within the hour...yet their majesty tricks you as you are still hours away.

Of course, there is my Great State of Texas with 5 distinct geographical regions that are all stunning in their own right.

And I hear Alaska is a sight everyone should see in their lifetime. Though, it can be some hard livin', it seems, if you are the sort that wants to be shed rid of human contact.

I have been fortunate to see the beauty everywhere I have been...including Oregon and Washington state. Hell, I even liked Washington, D.C.....as I was leaving.... There is beauty everywhere you go if you open your mind to see it.

As to the people, with some caution, there truly are great people everywhere I go but, the cultural differences and political ideologies are deeply embedded and differ greatly from one region to another... which is something to be very cognoscente of. You know, if you are in the deep woods somewhere and you hear the picking of banjoes? Well, you might want to ease on down the road at a high rate of speed.

Some of the cultures I could live with and some I could not. For the most part, people I have been around in all of my travels have been pretty good to me and I respected who they were/are. The most important thing to know is that most folks are as proud of their own state's/region's legacies and culture(s) as I am of Texas.

I have to say, though, that the most stand-offish state I have ever been to is Vermont. I worked there for 6 weeks and while the folks there were polite it was very difficult to have a conversation with damned near any of those that I encountered.

Anyway, to me, F357, I believe you need to find a place that fits your cultural comfort zone and where the folks tend to share much of your own belief systems. Travel, explore, talk to folks every where you go and you will learn more than you could ever share.

When it is all said and done, you might find that the prefect place for you is... exactly where you are.

Good luck and look for the good in all of your journeys...and keep a watchful eye on your "6".

Old 01-20-2015, 06:54 PM
F357
Senior User
Originally Posted by BruteFord
sounds like what you need is a camper, a trailer or slide in, and use it to travel.
I've thought about it, but I probably wouldn't be happy with that after a few weeks. I guess I'm attached to all my stuff. I've got a big shop packed with my "toys", I spend most of my time tinkering with my trucks or my boat or lots of other mechanical things. Hard to do any of that in a trailer. Never been the type that could live in an apartment, either.

I'm thinking I could get a steel cargo container (or two!) and pack all my stuff in there, and have it shipped where ever I want. I love warm weather, not hot, but if I go where the weather is perfect everything cost too much. I like the climate in southern California but I could never afford to live there. Looking in central Virginia I can afford ~20 acres on a lake! For about what I pay now for a small house in the suburbs, where the neighbors call the cops on my trucks.

I really want to find land that I can own within 15 years, and build another house/shop by hand, without a mortgage. I guess that will be my new job.

I'll still need to come back to Oregon now and then to deal with my business here, but if I buy a plane ticket in advance, it's only $300ish round trip from coast to coast. I need to just start traveling more, regardless of where I end up...

Old 01-20-2015, 07:22 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Year round weather wise, San Diego is hard to beat if you can afford it. South east Fl, Palm beach county for example is great if you can afford it. Winter, Phoenix is great 2 hours north in Flagstaff Summer is great. Carolinas, Va, Ga, have seasons but not bad all year.

I prefer a camper.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
If you've got the means, i'd take a few days vacation in each city/state you are considering before pulling up roots and permanently settling down again.

You mention you have toys in your shop; something to consider about VA is it is one of the strictest for vehicle emissions inspections and exhaust sniffing. I dont miss that hassle.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:26 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
You mention you have toys in your shop; something to consider about VA is it is one of the strictest for vehicle emissions inspections and exhaust sniffing. I dont miss that hassle.
This is a great point, one that is not to be overlooked. I couldn't live in many east coast states simply due to the vehicle laws. I mentioned laws in my first post, that's a big part of it, that and gun laws.

Quick Reply: If you could live anywhere in the world...