Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Whats your current Hoosier truck project?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:06 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevaroo01
Jayro88 - wow, I haven't seen one of those old Taurus SHO's in a while! I had a buddy in college who had one. Quite the sleeper!
There are a few nice ones running around the area still. Even have a National Convention for them. Performance wise they are not crazy impressive by today's standards, but they were far above any domestic offering when they cam out in 1989. Still fun to tool around the track in though......

Old 04-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up the set of replacement rims for my truck! They're used off of an '88, but they're way better than what's on my truck right now! I'll need to get new tires, but the price was good... $140 for all four!

A few pics:

I set them up in front of my current wheels just so I could get a visualization of what they'll look like on the truck.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:23 PM
3KP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinnergetter is this one of your trucks? I like the one in your sig.

I miss my 79 F150 4x4.

I was talking to my oldest son (soon to be 15) today about my 79. It had a rod knocking when I got it. I replaced the motor had the tranny/transfercase rebuilt. It was pretty solid truck, I remember when he was a baby his chubby cheeks bouncing up and down as we went down the road due to the over size tires I had on it.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks
Yeah my wife likes the primer better. She says once it all one color she might ride in it more . J/K she doesn't care what it looks like as long it's safe to be in .

Old 04-20-2015, 08:25 PM
3KP
Senior User
I picked up the set of replacement rims for my truck! They're used off of an '88, but they're way better than what's on my truck right now! I'll need to get new tires, but the price was good... $140 for all four!

I set them up in front of my current wheels just so I could get a visualization of what they'll look like on the truck.

Those look GOOD! Get those puppies slapped on and roll.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:32 PM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Originally Posted by 3KP
Those look GOOD! Get those puppies slapped on and roll.
Thanks! That's the plan!

Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stevaroo01...those wheels look way better and price was right too!

3KP...this truck was built with parts left over from the one in my sig. The engine is the original 360 block from the 73...upgraded of course. It was supposed to be a 5K winter ride...

I can't leave anything in stock form.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:37 PM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Well, I got the new wheels mounted up to the truck today! But they didn't go easily. I have been unable to get my lug nuts to break loose myself. I've tried several times over the last few months, and they just refuse to budge. I figured whoever installed them last must've torqued them down too tight with an air wrench. In any case, I decided to let my local shop do it for me since they have the tools.

Thing is, this truck really seems to fight any attempt at improvement! I don't know what the deal is. Every time I try to improve it somehow there's a complication. Well, this was no exception! Several of the lugs were stubborn, but eventually gave up. However, on the drivers side rear wheel, four out of five wouldn't budge with an air wrench or an impact wrench. Fearing that we might break something, but knowing it had to come off sooner or later, I told them to do what they had to do and we'd deal with any consequences if they arose. They took a torch to those lugs, and then the biggest breaker bar I've ever seen (and a pipe for extra leverage). That ended up doing the trick, and nothing broke in the process! What a relief!!

So, here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure:

Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Looking good Stevaroo01

Old 04-27-2015, 11:24 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Thanks! That's the plan!
The new wheels look Great !

Originally Posted by grinnergetter
Stevaroo01...those wheels look way better and price was right too!

3KP...this truck was built with parts left over from the one in my sig. The engine is the original 360 block from the 73...upgraded of course. It was supposed to be a 5K winter ride...

I can't leave anything in stock form.
First of all Cool build for something made out of spare parts !
But how old are you now?? LOL
Now you can prove to me age is just a number if you post up a photo of that thing covered in mud !

It does look like it would be fun.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:12 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
I said this in my build thread.

"Your supposed to lift them in your 20's and lower them back down in your 30's".

I'm 47...

Kuzz, your wish has been granted!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:57 PM
3KP
Senior User
I got my 87 F150 dragged to my house last weekend. So far stole the seat out of it and put it in the F350. Still taking parts off the 87 in my spare time that I can use on my 91. I have a picture but can't get it to upload at the moment. It looks so little next to my crew cab. lol

Did buy a pressure washer to help remove the rhino liner I used to to was the work van and tried it out on the rhino liner. I did this in 2 min.

I bet it will do better if I used paint stripper and the pressure washer hopefully will find out this weekend after I use the truck to haul a tree home that the wife wants and couple of bed loads of dirt.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:39 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
I said this in my build thread.

"Your supposed to lift them in your 20's and lower them back down in your 30's".

I'm 47...

Kuzz, your wish has been granted!

I LOVE IT !! Ok so your 27 yrs old with 20 yrs of experience at being 27 yrs old. And by looking at the back of the cab that thing must throw one heck of a rooster tail when you nail it !

Old 05-02-2015, 10:24 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
, you know it...without a bed it was pretty spectacular. I watched out the back window...them tires are rototillers.

3KP..be careful getting too close with that powerwasher, it doesnt take much to damage sheet metal. Be gentle.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:27 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Wish you guys were closer...both of those projects are pretty easy and working on them can be aggravating but barn time is the best time!
I agree I wish some of our Indiana brothers lived closer so that we could help out the ones with less experience at some of these jobs. It would actually be cool if maybe sometime this summer to have a Indiana GTG and be able to help some of the guys that need a hand. The key factor would be having all the right tools handy and where to have it since it seems most live on the south end of the state. I think you and I are the only ones that live in NW Indiana.

I myself the only help I need is a kick in the butt to get motivated on my projects. But honestly this time of year I am now very busy working on other peoples boats. I should have done the work to my truck this winter!! Because now I am busy hauling boats and tools around but I think I might take the truck out of service here soon for some updates.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:52 PM
3KP
Senior User
I hear you grinnergetter. I was worried about using the pressure washer at 1st so I tested it out on a door panel that I was planing on replacing 1st.

Here is before and after some aircraft remover and 35 min of spraying with the pressure washer. Of course my youngest son (12 years old) wanted to give it a try.

Probably could of had the whole cab stripped but had lunch plans that day so I had to stop. down to roof and passenger back door.

Rhino liner did hide the dents very well.

Quick Reply: Whats your current Hoosier truck project?