Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Whats your current Hoosier truck project?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took advantage of the nice weather this afternoon and got a few projects done on the truck that I've been wanting to do for a while. First, I replaced the old argent gray grill and headlight bezels with a used chrome set, thanks to FTE member WidowMaker13. I bought his old chrome set when he changed his to black. It's going to take a lot more than some chrome bits to really get my truck looking great (like rust repair, paint, etc), but I think between the new chrome face and the new wheels I put on last month it's really starting to look a lot better!

A few pics:

Now I need to do something about that rusty front bumper!

After the new face, I finally got around to taking the old bed liner out. I've been wanting to see what the condition of the bed underneath was. There was quite a bit of junk under there, but overall it wasn't as bad as I feared. There are a few places with some rust starting to bubble up. But the metal seems strong still. So hopefully I can clean it up and not have to replace any metal.

Ran it through the car wash to rinse the bed out after sweeping it. There's even a little shiny paint in the bed still!

This is the worst of the rust.

Prior to today a friend helped me replace my front springs, the upper and lower ball joints, radius arm bushings, front rotors, calipers, and pads, and front wheel bearings.

Tomorrow I am planning to remove the old (hideous) hitch and replace it with one I got from my father-in-law and also replace my rear shocks. It is doubtful that I'll have time to get into the gaskets that I need to replace. That'll probably have to wait for another day.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a Als Liner dealer if you are interested in a spray in liner. Price would be way right.

Chrome is lookin good!!!

Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Waiting for the paint to dry on new 1410 yolks.

Front shaft BEEF!

Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Originally Posted by grinnergetter
I'm a Als Liner dealer if you are interested in a spray in liner. Price would be way right.

Chrome is lookin good!!!
Yeah, I'd be interested in learning more about your liner. I was just thinking about doing one of those do-it-yourself spray or roll-in liners at some point, but I'm interested in finding out more about what you do first. Feel free to zip me a PM about it. No rush though! Many things that are vying for attention and priority on that truck right now if you know what I mean!

Old 05-25-2015, 11:20 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Well I have been saying since this winter that I am going to work on one of my projects. Actually I have alot of parts for the F350 7.3 but I just don't feel like taking it out of service. Besides actually the old 7.3 PSD is running pretty good I just have a small up pipe leak. It leaks about 2psi @ WOT

Well I haven't done anything to my old '76 Holiday Rambler other than start it up once a month for at least a few years. Here is a photo from 2011 which was the last time I turned any wrenches on it. Mind you this old motorhome was my fathers, he had bought it new. I had to do family vacations in it as a teenager and up until I started a family I used it to go to the races. I just haven't had time or money to do anything with it in the last few years. But now my 6 yr old daughter wants to go camping, it is time to get it back on the road.
I would do anything for my little girl.

Parts wise I have a set of Firestone air bags to help out back and I have a new Edelbrock AFB 750cfm so I can throw that piece of junk Motorcraft spread bore in the garbage. Also I have a set of NEW Alcoa 16" rims for it but I don't have the cash for tires at this time. Right now 16.5" wheels. I am going to also have to deal with new exhaust manifolds maybe headers, all new brake & fuel lines for starters.
It has a 460/ C6 in it

Here she is today in need of a airing out and a bath.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:29 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Steve. Als has a synthetic cup brush to scuff your paint. Mix and spray. Only drawback that I've found is you dont have a bunch of pot life. I seldom sell it at the store so Id like to use it up before too long.

The 79 has been wearing it under the cab and inside floor as well for about 2 years now. Holding up very well.

Kuzz...them wheels are shiny...nice camper!!!!

Old 05-26-2015, 08:57 PM
3KP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last few days I have manage to remove the class 5 receiver from my donor truck and install it on my F350. Had to remove my over sized drop bumper to get the receiver on. Removed more rhino liner (have 1/2 the roof , back of cab and one rear door left to strip) Bought a 4" silverline muffler off a guy in Franklin few weeks ago. Today bought my clamps, reducers, and turn down pipe got it put one still need to buy 1 hanger. But for now I hill billy some wire to hang it up for a test run. Not sure which way I like the muffler yet one way mellows the truck with a deeper sound and the other way sounds more aggressive. Ill drive one week or 2 with it in mellow mode then switch it to aggressive for a while and put it to the way I like it.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:02 PM
3KP
Senior User
At LAST!

I got all the rhino liner off where I want to remove it from. Just need to find time to sand, fix dents, and primer it. But as usual something breaks on the truck today. hauling scrap metal to the scrap yard and front caliper started to make a really bad noise. Since it's raining I will have to wait until a nice day and have time to see what's going on there. But some pictures for you fellers.

4" Silver line muffler. Yes wire is a temp thing until I figure which sound I like best out of the muffler. Then I will use the correct hanger and weld it to the turn down pipe.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:40 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Good job getting all that off 3KP.

What are you getting for scrap steel there?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 PM
3KP
Senior User

grinnergetter

What are you getting for scrap steel there?

Sheet metal is $95 a ton right now. Have no idea on other things since I only took water heaters, garbage disposals, sump pumps, rear drop bumper off the truck and remaining exhaust pipe from the truck.

Doesn't pay much but the scrap $ goes into my truck fund. I need to separate my copper and brass and take it soon. Need more truck parts

Old 06-01-2015, 05:04 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
My old awesome JY was sold to some SMS company and they promptly crushed everything older than 1980. Then they closed the doors. I mean rows of trucks replaced with mini vans. Dang, it sucked!

I've seriously considered buying a few 67-79 trucks just to keep for parts but its kinda hard when your trying to finish 2 of them and keep another one fed.

I heard the previous JY owner was trying to buy the place back...fingers crossed!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I've been thinking of making a run but the prices have not encouraged me to load it all up.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:37 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
3KP Big Nasty is looking less nasty now that you got the bed liner off !
I'm liking the new muffler too. Oh yea I too am a big fan of the exhaust band clamps over the old school clamps. Makes taking things apart a cake walk.

Grinnergetter are you talking about the SMS in Westville ? That is really sad that they sent all the good old parts to the crusher.
Good bone yards are getting harder and harder to find.

Well my wife put the brakes on me spending any money on the old motorhome this year. She said if I am to spend any money it should be on the house or get the siding for the garage. She's right as always. But at least I have a shelf of parts for the '99 F350. Later this week I am bringing my boat home from storage. That should keep me busy with the buffer for awhile, a tune up and it should be "Good to Go"

I am at the point that I should really consider selling the old motorhome and at least my little boat. But I guess I am just a horder at heart and have a hard time parting with things.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:11 PM
3KP
Senior User
That what that noise was.

Spent my Sunday buying jack stands tall enough to hold my truck up to pull my wheels off to find this. Started to pull right when I brake and made a rubbing/grinding noise. Never lost a pin before but again I never pulled the wheels off since I owned it.

Caliper did this to inside of my rim

Lost my upper caliper pin

Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 AM
Splash67
Cargo Master
I think I have a small problem with the AC condenser line on Monster. With this hot and humid weather, I think I need to get working on this project!

I might have a small leak in this pipe...

...anyone know the part number for this AC line?

Old 06-16-2015, 08:23 PM
grinnergetter
Cargo Master
Currently stuck in exterior home fixerup hell. It was showing severe signs of owner distracted by Ford trucks syndrome.

3KP...Whoa, ya better have a look at that.

Splash67....wonder if a fab shop could put a little weld on that. Might not even have to take it off....maybe?

Quick Reply: Whats your current Hoosier truck project?