1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1997 E350 V10. Engine threw a rod.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM
katoranger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E350 V10. Engine threw a rod.

I went out to use the van to haul the trash today. It has not been used for a week. Last trip it brought home a round bale of hay. Started it and it started knocking. Oil running out the side of the block.

My question is do I replace the engine or the van. Thinking that replacing the van would be the more beneficial solution. Owned about a year and don't have that much in it. It just completed an 1800 mile road trip last month.

If I can find a used engine for less than a $1000 I would fix it. Or do I sell it as is to someone who wants to make it a 4x4.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:31 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What shape is the Body in ?

Old 01-19-2015, 09:24 PM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yea That ^ and how many miles on the vehicle?? Over all condition??

Sentimental Value??

Long block would run you about $1800+ for a reman.
Shop cost $800 - $1200. I've seen $1500 for vans.
DIY swap, took me 4 days to do a 351W, plus extra parts, by myself.

Junk yard engine is just that........there's a reason it's in the junk yard.

Good used engine off a private seller, if you can find one??

Old 01-20-2015, 06:03 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,378 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Those costs for a long block need to be upped a bit----my '00 E250 with 5.4 reman'd long block from Ford less core was $2,700---V10 would be more I'm sure. Jasper, et al were about the same, warranties just about equal too.

Labor would be right at the $1K mark, excluding other parts like water pump etc etc that might be needed or wise to change out all at one time.

Given this is a '97 without any sentimental value I'd sell it as is and look for another van. Should be plenty of them available if general body condition isn't a huge concern.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:14 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Your right, I doubled checked, and the 6.8 long block would be around $3,500 + core of $1,000 (refunded, maybe 50% because of the busted block)

Must have looked up the wrong engine last night

So, shop install, with reman engine.........your looking at $5K+, plus other parts.

Hum, .......van shopping time??

Old 01-20-2015, 06:18 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
I'm always right---even when I'm wrong---don't question ME!!!!

(Completely kidding----occasionally I get a fact correct so have to revel in that small victory.)

Old 01-20-2015, 06:25 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWA
I'm always right---even when I'm wrong---don't question ME!!!!

(Completely kidding----occasionally I get a fact correct so have to revel in that small victory.)
Really........I didn't think you were kidding........I've seen your other posts.

No, was not questioning you.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:29 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Really........I didn't think you were kidding........I've seen your other posts.

No, was not questioning you.
Just a bit of levity this morning---worked harder than I like yesterday, about to head out with a buddy in my same biz to do a crap load MORE work. Gosh some days I wish I didn't like making money this much.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:35 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWA
Just a bit of levity this morning---worked harder than I like yesterday, about to head out with a buddy in my same biz to do a crap load MORE work. Gosh some days I wish I didn't like making money this much.
Gee........the stones must be flying all over the highways this time of year to keep you that busy.

Or you drumming up your own work???

Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Wildman25
Gee........the stones must be flying all over the highways this time of year to keep you that busy.

Or you drumming up your own work???
I'm just too good at what I do---so nothing but honest work for me!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 AM
katoranger
Senior User
There is no sentimental value to this van. I paid $1800 for it a year ago. Body is fair. Interior is not quite so. I think we are going to just buy another vehicle. I may pull this behind my shop and fill it with my "surplus".

Spending $5K for a new engine is not worth the investment. The transmission would probably go next.

I almost laughed since we were already talking about replacing it.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 AM
katoranger
Senior User
I would like to sell it whole. Has good michelin tires, 189K miles. All the seats. Body is straight with 18 years of parking lot dings. One small rust spot in front of right rear wheel. Trailer hitch with brake controller.

XLT interior. What type of value on a model with a bad engine? Would it be worth parting it out. I don't live in a populus area.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Yea, pumping what will run in to the $6K mark kind of puts a damper on things.

Parting out is Really tough. Years in the making.......

You'll want $xx for a fender, and someone will offer you half of that, after kicking the tires 5-6 times.......if they even show up......

Best to find a 'like' van, that you can re-use the parts yourself, one that the front end got smashed up, Body wise, and well, there you go, you have a complete front clip for it
Even better if the vans are the same color too.

I did this with using my worn out '94, and swapping the good, just replaced parts over to the '92 that I'm driving now.
Kind of like having your own Pick-n-Pull in your backyard

Using it as a storage box will work too, if the town don't bother you??
When your done re-using the parts you need, then it's off to the crusher so that a new van can be re-born.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:51 PM
katoranger
Senior User
I live in rural Kansas. No town to bother me. Already have a 95 GMC hiding behind the shop that I store feed in. This could join it. Maybe my goats could live in one.

Dad is planning to buy a similar van. We may just have to keep it for parts. I know he will want the trailer hitch and possibly the tires etc. The interior is not worth removing.

Currently looking at Expeditions, Excursions, and F250 crew cabs. Need to sit at least 6 and tow 5K easily with occasional 7K loads.

Thinking that the transmission, tires, trailer hitch, possibly the bench seats, and some of the engine parts would be sellable. The body really does not have alot of demand except the front clip.

My tire guy takes tires on consignment. I drop off good ones and he gives me credit for repairs or new tires. Have him mount some scabs so that I can still roll it.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:43 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
In my opinion, with a blown engine and that amount of miles, as a whole unit I wouldn't pay more than scrap price. Sucks that you only got to drive it a year, but at least you didn't pay too much for it. I'd pull the wheels and tires off and call a junkyard to pick it up. This way you'll be able to recoup some of your money. When people buy a new vehicle they loose more than that when they drive it off the lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 E350 V10. Engine threw a rod.