1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Help With official confirmation PLEASE

Old 01-19-2015, 11:05 AM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help With official confirmation PLEASE

Hi guys.

Lurked for some time without registration, but now i needed to register.

I own 1989 Ford Econoline E-150 5.0 V8 Multipurpose passenger van manufactered by Osage industries inc. (Can be seen in my album). Restored it to the drivable vehicle (was in very bad shape when i bought it).

Now it runs great, only problem is that in my country i need to get real important proof of that, that i have factory manufactered auxilarity fuel tank. There is some institutions, that simply do not believe that i have originaly two fuel tanks. They need some approval from Ford or official dealer, but for this kind of old car they do not have exact information in my region, as it was built for US market. Problem is that by VIN number it has only one fuel tank with 18 gallon volume, but i have Two original fuel tanks with 16 and 22 gallon volume. I have contacted most dealers in my area, official Ford support, even they do not have exact information, but Ford support admitted that most probably it has two fuel tanks, but cannot confirm it officialy, they suggested to contact HenryFord museum, they answered and found in catalog, that i have most probably Xl conversion van with those two fuel tanks. Contacted Ford Archive, but still no answer, probably busy or something. Interesting thing, i have two stickers in my ford, one says, that incompleate vehicle manufacter is Ford, another that Osage industries inc has manufactered it to Multipurpose passenger van. I have contacted them too, they answered, that they do not do nothing with fuel tanks, only interior and exterior and that most probably they already got that van with two fuel tanks, but again, they cannot confirm it officialy.

So i have a queston to members in this forum, maybe you have some idea where to look for some official confirmation about this ? Maybe some in the forum is Ford archive related or has some access to information that can confirm it ? I hope somebody can help me. I want to restore this van to mint condition, but if i will not get this confirmation, i will not be able to do this

Sorry if my english is not perfect, it is not my native language.

I will be very glad if someone can help me. Thank you guys.

P.S. If any additional information is needed to those who can help, just ask.

P.S. Found in Truck shop manual 1989 about fuel system, that every E-150 with wheelbase of 138 inches had two fuel tanks with 16 and 22 gallon volume. I have added my sticker on van that says that it is 138 WB (checked today, it really is), screens from manual too. Problem is, that Ford support have not responded yet and Ford archive too. Maybe anyone knows someone from Ford company that could help me ?
sticker:
View image: 20150115 092601
manual pages:
View image: 385 page
View image: 394 page
View image: 398 page
View image: 404 page

Old 01-19-2015, 06:53 PM
EagleFreek
Senior User
Sorry, I can't help you, but hope you get it figured out. Sounds like you got some people in your government that have nothing better to do.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:58 AM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Yea, that is the situation, country is too small, no bigger problems to resolve (actually they are) , but better to f... some small owners, than resolve real problems. All i need is to get official statment, that i have those two fuel tanks, thats it.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:54 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
What sort or type of documentation is required to satisfy the government? Does it have be to something from Ford the manufacturer?

The issue you're dealing with as it relates to "incomplete vehicles" sold to aftermarket upfitters or conversion company's is something we face here in the USA too, the occasional lack of information from the upfitter or converter. Because so many of those cease to exist even the poorly maintained records they did keep are nearly impossible to find.

Perhaps someone here in the USA can provide after-the-fact verification for you----what is your home country?

Old 01-20-2015, 06:59 AM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JWA
What sort or type of documentation is required to satisfy the government? Does it have be to something from Ford the manufacturer?

The issue you're dealing with as it relates to "incomplete vehicles" sold to aftermarket upfitters or conversion company's is something we face here in the USA too, the occasional lack of information from the upfitter or converter. Because so many of those cease to exist even the poorly maintained records they did keep are nearly impossible to find.

Perhaps someone here in the USA can provide after-the-fact verification for you----what is your home country?
Thanks you for your answer and trying to help.

I need some kind of verification from manufacter or dealer. I am in EU, Latvia. I contacted popular dealers, none has information about American cars, they cannot confirm it. So i have to hope only on America Ford Support or Ford archive.

Strange thing is that my vehicle has that incompleate vehicle manufacter Ford, by VIN number it has short base with 124 inches and one fuel tank, but on the same sticker it has a WB (wheelbase) of 138. Is it something common error for these vans ? It appears, that they putted those vin numbers all the same and kind of for short base.

I cannot understand why some Ford support from EU cannot confirm that i have those two fuel tanks originally, i have provided them with information i have, the official service manual from Ford. I cannot understand why The manufacter company (Osage industries inc.) cannot confirm it either based on facts i sent them

If someone could confirm that after the fact verification, it would be great.

P.S. here is the sticker from Manufacter:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zdv...8#.VLdwEnsnKVo

P.S.S. Maybe anyone has ideas where to find other manuals for 1989 vans, where i could find more proof of fuel tanks ?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Wildman25
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From the picture of your Vin, your missing a digit.

You only have 16 Digits, and you should have 17 digits.

Your missing the First Digit that's "World Manufacturer Identifier"

But, if you count the Digits to the 10th (which should be the 11th) "Assembly Plant" You have a H - Lorain (Lorain, Ohio) = Assembled in US

So, adding the #1 to your vin (1 - USA) you should be able to run the Vin, and get some additional info your missing?

See this Link.

Also this Link.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Wildman25
From the picture of your Vin, your missing a digit.

You only have 16 Digits, and you should have 17 digits.

Your missing the First Digit that's "World Manufacturer Identifier"

But, if you count the Digits to the 10th (which should be the 11th) "Assembly Plant" You have a H - Lorain (Lorain, Ohio) = Assembled in US

So, adding the #1 to your vin (1 - USA) you should be able to run the Vin, and get some additional info your missing?

See this Link.

Also this Link.
I do not see any difference from what i get before ? I do not quit get your point.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:04 PM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Judging by the link where it is seen all information about vin digits and letters, i can not see any sign of what digit or letter would say about fuel tank size. It seems, that by standard VIN checkers there is no information about that fuel tank size or value. It is just reading that it is Ford econoline and that's it, it is taking standard model with short base (123 inch) and fuel tank size for that model, that's all. This is seen because motor type is written correct, but wheelbase is short, but short wheelbase came only with 4.9 litter V6 motor.
Can anybody help to prove this ?

P.S. More details in pics:

View image: 404 page mod
View image: 12 lab
View image: 20150115 092601 atz

Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
jimandnena
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by monstrs
Judging by the link where it is seen all information about vin digits and letters, i can not see any sign of what digit or letter would say about fuel tank size. It seems, that by standard VIN checkers there is no information about that fuel tank size or value. It is just reading that it is Ford econoline and that's it, it is taking standard model with short base (123 inch) and fuel tank size for that model, that's all. This is seen because motor type is written correct, but wheelbase is short, but short wheelbase came only with 4.9 litter V6 motor.
Can anybody help to prove this ?

P.S. More details in pics:

View image: 404 page mod
View image: 12 lab
View image: 20150115 092601 atz
Hi monstrs,
I have an '88 Clubwagon XLT 302 with dual tanks. If yours has the selector switch shown in my owner's book then I would say it was factory installed dual tanks.

The next scan is the page on fuel tank capacities:

The last photo is about the VIN number on the sticker, this one is a typo, the first number is a "1" but the letter "F" was typed on top:

I have no help about dealing with government officials. I am afraid they are the same regardless of which country is involved. :-)
jim

Old 01-20-2015, 04:51 PM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Thanks JIM, it was helpfull.
Is your manual an official Ford manual ? Can you send me its title and copyright pages of that manual too, maybe i can use it for reference.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:21 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Thanks JIM, it was helpfull.
Is your manual an official Ford manual ? Can you send me its title and copyright pages of that manual too, maybe i can use it for reference.
Nekādu problēmu vispār!

Here's the front and back covers, the back has the printing information.

Best of luck,
jim

Old 01-21-2015, 05:37 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
The official Ford manual Jim shows might be found for sale on eBay, USA version. If so contacting a seller who typically doesn't ship to Europe might be persuaded to do so.

If you do find such a document or publication and seller won't ship for a fair price please let me know and I can do it for you. After receipt I could then just mail it to you through the mail.

Glad to help if I can---most of us too I'm sure.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by JWA
The official Ford manual Jim shows might be found for sale on eBay, USA version. If so contacting a seller who typically doesn't ship to Europe might be persuaded to do so.

If you do find such a document or publication and seller won't ship for a fair price please let me know and I can do it for you. After receipt I could then just mail it to you through the mail.

Glad to help if I can---most of us too I'm sure.
Thabks, i already found in ebay manual that could work, but seller says it is like 20 - 25$ shipping, that is more than it is worth. Do you think you could ship it cheaper ? will try to find it in amazon.de or in amazon.co.uk

Thanks Jim dor those covers.

P.S. This is what i looking for, link above is not correct, manual for other vehicles.
1989 FORD TRUCK SHOP MANUAL VOLUME B LIGHT DUTY TRUCK

Found one in Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Unclear shipping cost.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:11 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Thabks, i already found in ebay manual that could work, but seller says it is like 20 - 25$ shipping, that is more than it is worth. Do you think you could ship it cheaper ? will try to find it in amazon.de or in amazon.co.uk

Thanks Jim dor those covers.

P.S. This is what i looking for, link above is not correct, manual for other vehicles.
1989 FORD TRUCK SHOP MANUAL VOLUME B LIGHT DUTY TRUCK

Found one in Amazon:

Truck Shop Manual 1989 Volume B Light Duty Truck E, F-150 Through 350, F-super Duty, Bronco Engine: Ford Parts and Service Division: Amazon.com: Books

Unclear shipping cost.
monstrs, I do not know if it will help but you could contact these folks about a build sheet.
Shop Ford Gear

I ordered a basic $17 build sheet and it listed the dual tanks on my '88 E150. It took them several weeks to get the 26 year old data but they sent emails to explain the delay. They were excellent folks to work with and perhaps they can send an electronic copy of the build sheet?

Best of Luck,
jim

Old 01-24-2015, 01:07 PM
monstrs
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by jimandnena
monstrs, I do not know if it will help but you could contact these folks about a build sheet.
Shop Ford Gear

I ordered a basic $17 build sheet and it listed the dual tanks on my '88 E150. It took them several weeks to get the 26 year old data but they sent emails to explain the delay. They were excellent folks to work with and perhaps they can send an electronic copy of the build sheet?

Best of Luck,
jim
Thank you very much for the link, but they states, that this information is for US citizens only. Also i think they do the same thing that i am trying to do by reaching Ford archive myslef, for details about my fuel tanks.
Offcorse if the archive wont get information needed, i will try these guys.
Those waiting times soes sound about the same as Ford archive called to get information about my van.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help With official confirmation PLEASE