1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1999 7.3 van build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
That's pretty much fascinating about the '08 sheet metal not being a direct swap---have seen more than a few posts claiming its a no-sweat swap. Once you solve this please post photos so we can pass that info along to anyone else thinking of doing this.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of tabs, and the fenders would bolt on. The header panel sits flush on the '99 core support and would require a couple of new holes for it to bolt on. The owner is picky about the look he is going for, and stated last night that he personally would not be happy with tabs under the fender there. Looking at it, swapping the inner support isnt going to add much time cause we are already moving the under hood battery down underneath with the second battery, and I am removing most of the under hood stuff in order to build the intercooler tubes.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:28 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
More progress. Even with hockey practice, floor hockey game, cheer competition, hockey game, and super bowl game, I found some time to get some stuff done this weekend.

Driveshafts showed up Friday, so I got those in.

1410 rear shaft and 1350 front shaft.

I also made some headway on intercooler tubes. The driver side one is complete.

This had to be made in 2 pieces in order to get it in the van. I plan on heat wrapping the tubes.

I moved the anti lock module back 3" with a custom bracket. The power steering reservoir will have to be moved, and a heat shield will be made for the module and brake lines. The oil fill cap will also have to be modified some.

I have an idea on what I need to do on the passenger side, but I ran out of pipe.

This is the lower mount for the intercooler. I finished up both sides of this, this weekend also.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:49 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking good. I always wanted to put dual wheels on my 86 1ton van (460). I built friends quigly van about 15 years ago. I ended up putting 38s on it and a stroker 351. License plate was "QUADVAN". It was a fun rig.

Now I have an 02 conversion van that I've been researching 4x4 conversions, I have a number of superduty trucks to use as donors.

I didn't see, how are you actuating the 4x4 lever. I had once used an old push/pull plow cable on a chevy show truck I swapped to 4x4, I was thinking about doing it again on the van.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:14 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
I didn't see, how are you actuating the 4x4 lever. I had once used an old push/pull plow cable on a chevy show truck I swapped to 4x4, I was thinking about doing it again on the van.
Thanks.

The easy way would be to use a manual transfer case, and either buy the shifter from Ujoint.com, or make your own.

Since there is nothing easy about this van, we are using the electronic shift version. I have given the owner 3 choices, either custom made switches and a custom made relay box, use the GEM module from the Superduty, or use the module and switches from an early 90's Ranger or Explorer. The owner does not want the custom switches. The owner sold the GEM module with the engine when he parted out the Superduty, so it is up to him to get either of the last 2 options. He is out on the road right now in the junkyards, so I should know which way I am going with this shortly.

The hubs will be manual hubs.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:17 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
That's what I meant.
The guy didn't want a shifter put through his floor and custom carpet, so I used a push/pull cable to actuate the manual transfercase. It worked real well and wasn't taking up realestate (or looking odd in the middle of the floor of a van)

Looks like you have the electric transfercase figured out, I look forward to seeing it grafted into the van.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Ok, last night was a slow night. It seemed like I didnt get anything done, but I worked on things that needed to be done. I have the passenger side intercooler tube mocked up, and I need to get that made.

Its hard to see, but the tube will run next to the alternator. Just like the other side, the tube will be heat wrapped to protect the alternator and the heater box. And yes, that is PVC pipe used for the mock up

The other item that was worked on was the oil fill tube. I spent an hour getting the tube reconfigured so that it is moved over 3"

But of course with a build like this, it is all about the details.

Tonight, I need to finish up the mount for the oil fill tube, build the heat shields for the antilock module and alternator, and re route the heater hose going to the heater core.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:04 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Last nights progress, again, some of the details.

I shortened the trans fill dip stick and tube. Now, the dog house will have to be removed to get to the dipstick, but alot of new cars dont even have a dip stick at all. How often are we checking the fluid anyways.

Just have to be careful when it is time to change the fluid and not spill any in the cabin.

I finished up the oil fill tube bracket also. No picture tho.

I started on the regulated return/ fuel bowl delete kit. It is the kit from Driven Diesel. Very nice kit to work with. It is for the Super duty trucks, but the van is very similar. The mounting of the regulator is different, and I dont have the finalized location for that yet, but it should work just fine.

Going out at lunch to see about getting the passenger side intercooler tube bent up. Hopefully this place can do it. If not, its time for me to start some metal work.

Also, today, I am going to get the injectors ordered up. Speaking of injectors, I think this van has some injector work done in the past. Some nice use of the BFH clearancing tool

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Monday night work update. The wheels and tires are in!!!! I know this look isn't for everyone, but you gotta admit, there isn't another one like it

And yes, I'm running out of room quickly LOL

The plan is to section the wheel opening and move the front of the opening forward 3-4" so the wheel looks centered in the wheel well.

Intercooler tube work continues. Gone is the PVC tube, and a steel tube is taking its place.

Again, these tubes will be wrapped to keep the heat in.

This is the tube. 1 more 45 degree bend and I will be able to finish it up. Hopefully tonight.

Injectors and tune has been ordered and should be here this week. Then it is time to assemble this for 1 last time.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Nice progress---impressive fabricating of that snakey looking tube!

Front well opening won't need much trimming---from where I'm sitting its almost there now. Here's one I thought was just cool as can be:

The proportions look like it was factory original.

And no we won't see this one coming and going on our city streets I'm sure.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:58 AM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Plenty of room in there....

Are you planning on a bigger downpipe. That one looks like the stock one.

The trailer truck wheels are your preference, but your plan with the front fender is brilliant. That will make it look much better proportioned.

I always wanted to put super singles on my F550, and on my 4x4 F800 Marmon-Herrington, but holy crap wheels and tires are expensive.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:07 AM
79schaefer
Tuned
Originally Posted by UNTAMND
Plenty of room in there....

Are you planning on a bigger downpipe. That one looks like the stock one.
4" turbo back exhaust set up is planned. That is the factory downpipe right now.

Steve S.
To many to list.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought parts from these guys...nice quality.....

Cat | 390F L Hydraulic Excavator | Caterpillar

Old 02-12-2015, 09:10 PM
blageurt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry wrong link...I meant these guys.....www.diamondeyeperformance.com

Old 02-16-2015, 08:11 PM
djbonsu
Junior User
Awesome build you are taking on!

Quick Reply: 1999 7.3 van build thread