1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck stalled could be the straw that broke the camels back

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 04:20 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Truck stalled could be the straw that broke the camels back

Another one of my ongoing never fixed 100% issues. Recap start truck (summer,winter, engine cold or hot) jumps to around 1200rpm then rapidly drops to 650(idle) BUT it randomly drops below idle stumbles and jumps back to 1200rpm stays there for 10 seconds then slowly idles back to normal. Sometimes it goes to 1200rpm then to 650 then back up to 1000rpm and then slowly idles back to 650 like it should. Problem idle is up and down sometimes drops below 650 stumbles EXCEPT today three times while running errands i go to start truck, jumps to 1200rpm (seemed slow to crank not peppy) then immediately just stalled out........... Gauges all stayed on engine light on turn key off and refire and the truck started normal no smoke or rumble nothing. Go to another store runs beautifully go inside for half hour come out try to start truck does the same thing except this time jumped to 1000rpm then stalled right out! Turn key off then starts normally again no smoke etc. drive home and it runs beautifully, i was home for two hours and needed to ho to grocery store i forgot to stop and grab a bag of gnocchi truck starts normally at house go in grocery store come out flipping truck goes to 1400rpm then stalls out immediately!!!!!!! Except this time i restart and it cranked no fire for two seconds. Shut key off turn forward i can hear fuel pump turn key to start truck fires right up no smoke from what i can see no smell of fuel idles normally? What the heck is going on here? It did this about three years ago i cleaned mass air, cleaned throttle body, cleaned IAC stalling went away but the idle up and down and stumble never went away... This summer i did new motorcraft plugs again, motorcraft cop boots, cleaned mass air, throttle body, and installed motorcraft IAC and throttle position sensor and again idle issue never went away and now today the stalling came back. What should i do next? Between this again and the transmission going to need a rebuild because of a reverse issue I'm just at my wits end. For a truck I've never took off road and beat on did maintenance on ever part of the truck well before ford dates and specs and doing the things to prolong the trucks life i have more issues then people that run these trucks into the ground and they keep running where mine seems to hate me. LOL should i take it to the dealer and let them rip me off or do i just buy a new mass air, throttle body and whatever else and put new stuff because i have 130k?????

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 01-18-2015, 06:28 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Trade it!!!

Or let someone else look at it. Sometimes a different/better eye can find issues. It happened before, like you said, so something must reoccurring. Hope you can find the issue.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:26 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Why would you replace the TB and MAF just because it has a few miles on it?

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere

Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Ive done countless vacuum test and fuel pressure tests. Running sitting everything and its all perfect, no leaks etc. had it at one local mechanic this summer who ran tests on the truck with his snapon scanner and he said readings for the mass air etc were all within specs.

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 01-19-2015, 11:56 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Why would you replace the TB and MAF just because it has a few miles on it?
Because I'm sick of worrying is the truck just not gonna start when i have to go to work thats why. Ive babied the crap out of this truck from mile number 1 and I'm having this ridiculous problems that i shouldn't be having. Ive spent so many weekends checking this and checking that replacing rubber vacuum lines with new ones just because it could be an issue. Ive capped the hard lines and pressure tested them section by section all with no luck.

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 01-19-2015, 12:01 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
I know this isn't a direct comparison, far from it, but I use beater cars for commuting vehicles and once the cars starting acting funny where I couldn't find the issue I sold it to someone. And I even disclosed the issues.

I know you've had that truck a long time but if it continues to give issues maybe explore options with selling or trading? I'm sure you don't want a payment tho. Or get more opinions on what to fix. Maybe paying a few hundred for a good diagnosis is cheaper than payments. Idk

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Ive done countless vacuum test and fuel pressure tests. Running sitting everything and its all perfect, no leaks etc. had it at one local mechanic this summer who ran tests on the truck with his snapon scanner and he said readings for the mass air etc were all within specs.

iPhone from IB AutoGroup
Check the intake manifold, intake gaskets, tb gasket, etc.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-19-2015, 01:43 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

Because I'm sick of worrying is the truck just not gonna start when i have to go to work thats why. Ive babied the crap out of this truck from mile number 1 and I'm having this ridiculous problems that i shouldn't be having. Ive spent so many weekends checking this and checking that replacing rubber vacuum lines with new ones just because it could be an issue. Ive capped the hard lines and pressure tested them section by section all with no luck.

iPhone from IB AutoGroup
Shot gunning parts isn't going to fix it.

Look elsewhere for the leak.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 01-19-2015, 06:20 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Ive used starter fluid and sprayed all over the intake and the truck never acted funny like it was sucking in the starter fluid. Is that what i should do?

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 01-19-2015, 06:22 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
I would pull the manifold and look for cracks, gasket, etc.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:22 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
I know this isn't a direct comparison, far from it, but I use beater cars for commuting vehicles and once the cars starting acting funny where I couldn't find the issue I sold it to someone. And I even disclosed the issues. I know you've had that truck a long time but if it continues to give issues maybe explore options with selling or trading? I'm sure you don't want a payment tho. Or get more opinions on what to fix. Maybe paying a few hundred for a good diagnosis is cheaper than payments. Idk Good luck.
I actually got a new job working at the port here in NJ and making a lot of money doing OT and working holidays. As much as i love my truck this spring it might be time for a brand new F350 crew cab long bed 6.2 4.30 XL with manual everything!!!!!

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 01-19-2015, 06:29 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
XL. Really? Would you option the power windows and such or be totally bare bones?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:15 PM
92f150I6
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
try cleaning out the idle air controller with some throttle body cleaner. it might be sticking somewhat.

Old 01-19-2015, 08:01 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MDSuperDuty
XL. Really? Would you option the power windows and such or be totally bare bones?
Yup bare bones no electric anything. All i want is 18" wheels, cab lights, snow plow package, up fitter switches, MAYBE cloth seats i dont know yet since i add camo neoprene seat covers to my trucks

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

Old 01-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yup bare bones no electric anything. All i want is 18" wheels, cab lights, snow plow package, up fitter switches, MAYBE cloth seats i dont know yet since i add camo neoprene seat covers to my trucks

iPhone from IB AutoGroup

You are so full of it, you will have that truck till you die...

Quick Reply: Truck stalled could be the straw that broke the camels back